An antique device or two...

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
You know, I really wish I got a photo of them, but yesterday I was at the Burnley indoor market when I happened upon a couple of old analogue satellite things. One was a VideoCrypt decoder, just a decoder, nothing else, it amazed me how technology has changed, going from a receiver-sized glorified card reader, to a built-in version, which is what is next, cos under the said box was an Alan M. Sugar Trading Co. (Or just Amstrad) SRD400, I do actually remember my mum having one at some point, but it was never used (I really wish I got into satellite TV back then!!!), but this box looked in mint condition, though I couldn't see any remote for it, but still, a couple of antiques from the history of satellite... :)

Oh, and someone was flogging almost-dead sky Yellow house cards, including one actually dead sky card (light blue), at a tenner each, glad I'm not a numpty and knew about the new white card replacing them... :-rofl2

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
So, how much did you give for the appreciating classics ?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
He didn't say he'd bought them, just that he'd seen them.

If you want a picture try this _http://www.rewindmuseum.com/images3/videocrypt.gif

The whole page is worth a look. You'll spend ages just looking at what we used to think was the canine's gonads.

_http://www.rewindmuseum.com/vintagesatellite.htm

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
PaulR said:
He didn't say he'd bought them, just that he'd seen them.

If you want a picture try this _http://www.rewindmuseum.com/images3/videocrypt.gif

The whole page is worth a look. You'll spend ages just looking at what we used to think was the canine's gonads.

Yep, hadn't bought them, if I had I probably would have turned the decoder into a Mini-ITX pc... :-rofl2

And that pic of a VideoCrypt decoder is the exact same model they had in Burnleh, and just further down the page is the SRD-400 (which they have labelled as SRX-400, even though the model on the box, instructions and packaging says otherwise!!!)... :)

Though the two boxes weren't boxed up like those on that page were... :)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Somewhere at home I have an SRX200 with separate Videocrypt decoder which was later replaced by SRD400 - which I also have somewhere!

There's also an Echostart LT8700 hanging around, which shows that I DID have some good judgement sometimes.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Yes Paul, they went and brought out LT8700 just after I'd bought the SR8700. The LT was a little more versatile specwise for the same price I believe, RS232 terminal, extra scart and UHF remote facility.

I had the plug-in Videoguard decoder, but there was also a D2-Mac decoder that you could swop it with.

Llew

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
PaulR said:

It would be, if the site had a vestige of accurate information on it ;
NEC 50 Ohm LNB's were mated with a Fergusson mechanical polarotor in the second year of production for use with the new Irte 1.5m dishes,

Uniden got round the 1750 MHz tuner issue with a unique dual-band item from the originators of the full band LNB - MTI - before issuing a special mod within the tuner circuit) . And no info on the UST 92 D2MAC unit, the 8008/9/10 or the last integrated unit (which was a monstrocity).

and some real treasures on it

Anyone seen a Luxor two box infrared motorised system - the first if I recall
a Gensat 4/12 integrated receiver ?
Palcom 3000/4000/4000 Mk II ?

The site owner has also missed the launch of the Benjamin receivers and its badged clones - the first to offer consumers with a cheap a receiver without knobs on the front, and the Cygnus (a rather nice cloned upgrade to the SR4500 including workable on-screen graphics)

The site also fails to give credence to the pre Monterey days, the Cheyene was a superb machine which gave all a run for the money, unfortunately shelved owing to (dejavu) a limited channel capacity.

Being a Monterey dealer - tranlated - taking the punter for all you could get away with - and having a shedload of Echostar machines (careful you don't plug the SR 6500 into a UK mains supply above 234 volts or short circuit the LNB cable) doesn't mean you know all on the subject of old satellite equipment.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Channel Hopper said:
(careful you don't plug the SR 6500 into a UK mains supply above 234 volts or short circuit the LNB cable)

That would be a problem, the last time a stuck my multimeter in a socket it read 239-241v (it's that cheap Maplin one that was posted here ages ago, it's not quite that accurate sometimes!!!), so the sr6500 would probably pass away pretty sharpish here, assuming that's what you meant... :eek:

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I notice the rewind museum uses the same web designer (or doesn't use one, which may explain things) as their sales site.;)

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
rolfw said:
I notice the rewind museum uses the same web designer (or doesn't use one, which may explain things) as their sales site.;)

Running on 220V may explain things.

(which reminds me of countless Monterey 20 actuator transformer failures.......)

nuvolona

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
echostar lt8700
My Location
italy
Yesterday I found my LT-8700 dead!
Its been working for 15 years now... and i'm scared to death about losing it :(
When you plug it... it doesnt give a single sign anymore.
I opened it and found a little 250V fuse around the PS circuit.
I checked it, and it was okay... but I tried to replace it with a new one anyway. No result, my LT-8700 is still dead and I can't bring it up anymore.

Anyone have an idea on what to do...? A friend of mine told me to throw it in the trash... but I don't want to... I still want to move my motorized dish with it, I had all my personalized settings for it, I spent a lot of time and dedication.

There's no one that can repair it here in Italy. :(

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
There's a power supply schematic courtesy of Burnham Beech here -

http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...star-lt8700-power-supply-circuit-diagram.html

I had a PS problem (or two) when I had my SR7800 (same PS) working hard back in the distant past. A couple of fast diodes take a lot of punishment; unfortunately I can't remember exactly which ones they were now. I'll dig it out later and see if I can spot them.

Other than that, check the usual suspects - the electrolytics.

Beware though, it's a pig to work on - big voltages flying all over the place :eek:

Llew

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Nuvolona - Since there is little analogue TV left on satellite, it might be worth investing in a simple Actuator driver - The VBoxII for example works very well as one with its integral remote control, or you can drive it with any digitalreceiver with second DiSEqC positioning commands.

The Echostar can then sit on your mantlepiece and slowly appreciate in value as a collectors item.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
It'll need a bigger footprint to put that beast on CH. As big and as heavy as a flagstone :eek:

nuvolona

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
echostar lt8700
My Location
italy
thanks for the suggestions... to both of you.

I haven't used my LT-8700 for sat analog tv since I passed to Digital (10 years now). Since then, the LNB cable has always been disconnected from it, I had only the 4 motor cables attached on it. I kept using it just to have a nice AV channel satellite list on scart n.3, for my positioner ... and this job has always been done greatly by it!
It's been fun in all these years to add new satellites and adjust positions... even recently.

But yes, i'm starting to think that probably a repair it's not even worth. I have found a deal for an Echostar DVR-7000, since when it came out (2001-2002), has been always a dream receiver for me... but it was too expencive to take! We all know that this receiver was a flop... for its price, and its life ended prematurely. But now i got it for a few bucks, and once it arrives here (a matter of days) will be the subsitute of my beloved LT-8700.

I know that actually there are better linux based receivers out there, and I too have a dreambox 7020 since years in another room. But I just wanted something to take the place of the 8700 for the motorized dish room and i'm glad it will be another Echostar :)

Yeah... time passes for everyone... I will miss my old analog echostar, but it will stay always here, somewhere in my house :) and maybe one day I will dedicate some time to take a look at the whole power supply circuit, which scheme i downloaded from this forum (thanks!) and eventually attempt a repair ;)