An introduction

440mlcan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fortecstar Passion+ hD 90cm motorised
My Location
Farnborough, hampshire
Hello one and all,
I've rummaged around the various forums here, and this seems to be the place to drop a line about myself - If not excuse the ignorance moderator and shift it to the right location.
My first system was aquired in around ;87 or '88, an Echostar 4500? i think, with a 1.8 or so motorised dish. BskyB or whatever it was called at inception had yet to go live, Filmnet was broadcasting then, NASCAR races live and the "dodgey" swedish/german broadcasts, also not forgetting the classic Italian programe that was "tutti frutti". I had to special order from WH Smith the satellite publication, the name of which escapes me.
Eventually broadcasts started becomming scrambled/coded or whatever the phrase is for "not watchable unless you pay" -- still no BskyB then.A local company in Camberley,Surrey popped up (Vision something?),hey presto, buy a box,buy a card or cards(card as in pc style)and all is back.If the scramble changed,take the card back for a FREE exchange or update -- oh happy days.
As time went on and various LNB were added to adapt to available programming,and i upgraded to what i still believe to have been the Rolls Royce of equipment, a Chaparal Monterey 20, imported from the USA.
When the first commercial satellite company arrived on the scene (BskyB or whatever they were called) in order to drum up business all existing dish owners could have what they called "Pioneer" status and receive for free, this for me was the begining of the end,what i had viewed uncensored became controlled,in much the same way as the internet has gone from its humble beginings with the ethos of freedom of information, to the generally censored media it has become.
After a house move in the mid 90's there was no suitable location for the dish - trees everywhere.
Back to the current timeline, after becoming disenchanted with our local cable operators selection,and looking skyward on a bbq night, the return to my own dish system was concieved.
I believe i have opted for a good basic system, the FortecStar Innovation HD package --?Passion+?-with a H-H diseqc motor and a 90cm dish. I am very impressed with its picture quality both on the house flat screen and on the 10' x 8' nec 1050 projector image i have in my "Boys room" AKA the shed.
A big thanks to the dish set up guides posted here by various contributors,they have been of emense help in the set up, just a little more fine tuning to do. Your forums are a mine of information, and i look forward to getting myself up to date with the current technology and hopefully being a contributor.

Introduction over
Thanks for reading

440mlcan

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I am sure the members that did the research are grateful for the feedback and your brief sat hobby history, glad you rescued yourself from the torments of the evil c a b l e ;)