Analogue or Analogue/Digital Receiver?

Stan_1978

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite - planning to buy one. Windows XP
My Location
Cheshire, Warrington
Hi All

I've tried to read quite a bit on this forum and on _www.analoguesat.co.uk. We live in Warrington and want to watch some German channels and Eurosport (as long as they're still available...).

We are thinking about getting Analogue Metronic receiver as recommended in one of the posts - very cheap..._www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/236264/art/metronic/analogue-demodulator-orig.html"]http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/236264/art/metronic/analogue-demodulator-orig.html or Analogue/Digital receiver kit _www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/237230/art/metronic/kit-motorized-analogue-di.html"]http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/237230/art/metronic/kit-motorized-analogue-di.html.

1. Did anyone buy recently any of these products from this website?
2. Does it make sense to invest a bit more into multiple-receiver or is it better to get the cheap one for the time being?

I'm new to the satellite world - I'd welcome any comments and recommendations what investment would make sense. As mentioned Eurosport and German channels are main reason behind installing a satellite.

Thanks
Stan

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum Stan_1978

Well this week Premier changed to Nagra3 encryption so there is no chance of German apart from FTA channels, analogue is disappearing all the time however that is the only way of viewing Eurosport FTA but for how long Analoguesat may be able to tell you. If you are sticking with FTA then you do not need to spend a lot of money but I will not make a recommendation for an stb I have never owned

irart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Freesat in UK,
Astra 1 ana/dig in UK
using Technomate -5000 DAPCI,
Astra 2 South Beam and Eurobird in Spain.
My Location
Cornwall, UK
I personally would not bother with an analogue receiver, unless you know of someone who is giving one away. You could have a look on _ebay for a second hand analogue/digital box (they no longer make new ones) as there are still a few around. As Topper says, Eurosport in English is available in analogue, but with a digital box you can also get it but in German. These are from the Astra 1 satellite of course.

Stan_1978

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite - planning to buy one. Windows XP
My Location
Cheshire, Warrington
Thank you for your answers, Topper and irart.

It sounds like analogue/digital box should be a better choice - irart, you said they don't make any new ones - does it mean that Pixmania just stocked up loads and now sell them?
_http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/236934/art/metronic/digital-terminal-satellit.html

Have anyone bought off this web recently?
Is it better to get a motorised dish?

I could not find any analogue/digital boxes on eBay - people said that occasionally boxes such as Technomate TM-5500 DAPCI appeared there.

Many thanks
Stan

irart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Freesat in UK,
Astra 1 ana/dig in UK
using Technomate -5000 DAPCI,
Astra 2 South Beam and Eurobird in Spain.
My Location
Cornwall, UK
I stand corrected Stan, I wasn't aware that there were still new analogue/digital receivers available, I couldn't find any when I was after one! I ended up buying a Technomate on ebay
Don't know anything about Pixmania, maybe others on the forum have used them and can advise.
If you are really keen, and want to access lots of satellites, a motorised dish would be the way to go. Plenty of information here on that subject.