Another dish??

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
A plan is formulating in my overworked brain, however before I disclose it, I'd like some extra info.

How far does an LNB support arm protrude from the dish face on for example a 1.5M Gibertini. I'm just worried about someone turning their delivery van round and clouting the dish, so I want an idea of how far back from my driveway I'd have to site a "substantial mount".

(Hmm, may have given too much away there Pete)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I know not the answer to your specific question, but are you able to place your erection at such a height that collisions won't be a problem?

(I'm guessing not, 'cos clever chaps like thee had no doubt already discounted it)

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France
No, as I'm intending to use a concreted in ground stand I don't think it would be feasible to place the dish mount any higher than 1M to 1.50M

BTW, although I'm only 5'4", I've never personally suffered a collision when in the circumstances you allude to at the end of your first sentence.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
How about a sacrificial fence in front of it? Then any errant driver stops when he hears the "crunch" and doesnt whack the arm :D

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Analoguesat said:
How about a sacrificial fence in front of it?

Yes that's quite a good idea. Though I'm not so sure of nailing dead chickens to it.

(Could always rest the dish in a large tractor tyre LOL)

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Ok, here are a couple of shots of the site for the 'next' dish. The thin ex central heating pipe marks the possible site in the first photo, the other shows due south from behind the pipe, falling almost exactly between the two conifers.

I might lose from 53°E in the summer from this spot though will probably get 30°W back if not a little further.

Any thoughts as to it's practicality as a site are welcome. I intend to route cables overhead and then back through the house roof space.

Attachments

• Possible site for new dish.JPG
    Possible site for new dish.JPG
    477.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Looking due South.JPG
    Looking due South.JPG
    341.7 KB · Views: 32

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Having thought about this, I've decided to postpone the idea till Spring next year. I do intend to use a Gibertini 1.5M with a polar mount and actuator there. I'll be mounting it on a substantial groundstand, like this:

_http://www.2galli.fr/boutique/fiche_produit.cfm?ref=pied80_100&type=25&code_lg=lg_fr&num=71

My initial query is still valid though, how far from the dish will the LNB arm protrude? I've allowed myself 1M to 1.5M though I can't site the dish too far back as I'll start to lose the further ends of the arc due to nearby house and barn walls.

Anyway, it's not going to happen until next year so I have plenty of time to think about it.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well, out of curiosity, because nobody has chipped in even a hint at an answer, I've spent positively microseconds Googling and the answer does not leap out at one.

However, one of the Forum Sponsors sells them and has a nice piccy here _http://www.southernsat.co.uk/cart/index.php?l=product_detail&p=221

Might it not be worthwhile contacting them to ask them to measure it (If they don't already know the distance)?

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Tivù said:
Might it not be worthwhile contacting them to ask them to measure it (If they don't already know the distance)?

Yes it would, though having given it further thought, somewhere there should be specs giving the focal length of the dish which should give me a rough idea. Alternately I could calculate the focal length........or just email them. However, I'm a little reluctant to do so as I'm not in the market for the dish yet and I'd be sourcing it from a French supplier to economise on the carriage costs anyway.....yes, I could contact the French supplier but I'm not sure my language skills are up to it.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Understood.

Somebody on the Forum must have such a beast, surely?

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Well...........having looked at the various photo's of the OP 150 (for some reason Goggle tells me that the Gibertini.it site presents a threat to my computer!) I can't imagine that canted up to it's offset angle the support arm protrudes to more than a metre. In any case if it did ingress the drive slightly I can always hang a high vis vest over the LNB....

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
huevos, has the dish I think so maybe ask him for the size. l

looking on the gibertini website it says the fd is 0.66 if my german is up to scratch strange an italian company but website in german ?