Another frustrating set up problem

Marcas

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fracarro penta 85cm dish, motek motor and Technomate 5200D receiver
My Location
Belfast
I have tried to get 5w with and without the motor without success. I can point it in the right direction with a signal meter but can't get a picture even by making minute adjustments. The best I can do is "bad signal" rather than "no signal." It is possible that some trees are in the way but I don't think they are close enough.
Since I couldn't set up on 5w I used instructions I got with the Motek and entered my co-ordinates into the Global Automatic Antenna Positioning System on a Motek website to get the azimuth angle on the motor for 19E. I set the motor to this angle, then mounted the dish on it and put the lot on my pole. I then followed the motek instructions and adjusted the dish to 19E manually. I did a bit of fine tuning using the motor controls then stored the best signal. I then checked if adjusting the elevation of the dish bracket would improve the signal. A change of about 1 degree or less brought a slight improvement. I also confirmed that changing the angle of the lnb didn't make a difference. From there I managed to find and store a number of other sats including Hotbird and Sirius2. The figures for Hotbird in terms of signal strength were similar to 19E.
Even if setting up according to the Motek instructions, rather than on 5w, might not seem the best idea, I suspect the motor isn't really the issue as I didn't get a better performance setting up manually on one sat.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
maybe you could post a picture of your dish and motor as if it was on 5W. Be able to tell you if you have a line of sight issue for this satellite if the pictures are good enough.

Marcas

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belfast

Attachments

• view Atlantic Bird.JPG
    view Atlantic Bird.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 34
  • view Hot Bird.JPG
    view Hot Bird.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCN2800.JPG
    DSCN2800.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN2796.JPG
    DSCN2796.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 53

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
I'm not sure, but looking at those pictures, its possible the the pitched roof in front of the dish is obscuring the signal. :confused

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Nope the pitched roof is fine, although the tree on the right might be a problem for 5W in picture 1.

SM

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If you have clear line of sight onto 5W you cant miss it - shes one of the highest powered birds in the skies above Europe - a 43 cm zone 1 sky minidish is plenty big enough for AB3 in most conditions in the UK!

Marcas

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belfast
Thanks for the input. Perhaps there is a problem with proximity with the tree on 5W but it is not directly in line with the lnb. Even if there is some doubt I think that the shot towards Hotbird looks clear and since 19E is close also I should be getting a stronger signal on both of these. What I'm getting at present is similar to the signal I obtained previously with a eliptical Sky dish.