Any chance?

S

Stephen W

My Location
Norfolk
Hi!
I live on the Norfolk coast and I have just had installed a motorised system - 80cm dish and a Technomate 5500 DACI - which is proving great. However, I cannot find 7W, 5E or 26E; any advice as to whether or not I have any chance of picking these up please. Thanx.

jimbo

jimbo

Retired Mod
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
I would have thought you would pick up something from Sirius (5E) but the other two you mentioned would probably require a bigger dish, in the region of 1m to 1.2m

G

GotMyBusPass

Hi Stephen W

I'm just a bit further south than you near Woodbridge Suffolk.

7west, Nilesat, best signals during late evening/night time. Best if clear sky, highest signal received here on transponder 12295V, 2893, 3/4.

5 east, I have my dish set to 4.8*(Sirius2), best signals on transponders 11766H, 27500, 3/4 and 12418H, 27500, 3/4.

26east, lose the satellite in heavy rain, strongest signals on transponder 11785V, 27500, 3/4.

Running 85cm & 98cm dishes, Technomate 5000DA receiver

waverider

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
In you're STB setup menu is it set to DISEqC?

S

Stephen W

My Location
Norfolk
waverider said:
In you're STB setup menu is it set to DISEqC?
Yes, shouldn't it be?

S

Stephen W

My Location
Norfolk
gotmybuspass said:
Hi Stephen W

I'm just a bit further south than you near Woodbridge Suffolk.

7west, Nilesat, best signals during late evening/night time. Best if clear sky, highest signal received here on transponder 12295V, 2893, 3/4.

5 east, I have my dish set to 4.8*(Sirius2), best signals on transponders 11766H, 27500, 3/4 and 12418H, 27500, 3/4.

26east, lose the satellite in heavy rain, strongest signals on transponder 11785V, 27500, 3/4.

Running 85cm & 98cm dishes, Technomate 5000DA receiver
V useful info - will give itanother go. I am still feeling my way with the system so bound to be a bit of an ignoramus initially! Thanx for advice.

waverider

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
Stephen W said:
Yes, shouldn't it be?
Well you will find if you change your setting from DISEqC to Motor you can then pulse the motor with your remote to tune onto the desired sat to receive a stronger signal!....once you a happy with quality & signal strength you then save the position....Your STB then will remember that setting and point the dish every time you select that bird!

S

Stephen W

My Location
Norfolk
waverider said:
Well you will find if you change your setting from DISEqC to Motor you can then pulse the motor with your remote to tune onto the desired sat to receive a stronger signal!....once you a happy with quality & signal strength you then save the position....Your STB then will remember that setting and point the dish every time you select that bird!
Thanx I will try that later. I got a high strength signal when I tried an hour ago but quality of only 60. I noticed that I could download the Nordic channels but none of the Arab channels - any reason why this might be ?

waverider

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
Stephen W said:
Thanx I will try that later. I got a high strength signal when I tried an hour ago but quality of only 60. I noticed that I could download the Nordic channels but none of the Arab channels - any reason why this might be ?
That will be probably to do with the weather or transponder, I have noticed as well some fun files I have used in the past affect signal strength as well (strange that)....best thing is when your tuning to a desired sat is do it on a clear day rather than an evening.

S

Stephen W

My Location
Norfolk
waverider said:
That will be probably to do with the weather or transponder, I have noticed as well some fun files I have used in the past affect signal strength as well (strange that)....best thing is when your tuning to a desired sat is do it on a clear day rather than an evening.
I tried again today - lovely clear sunny day on the east coast - but the results were the same as before trying to dwonload channels from 26E i.e none of the arabic channels but all the nordic ones that I can get on Sirius! Frustrating to say the least! Help!

waverider

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
Hmmm could be two things here m8....first check this link to make sure you havent got any freq/Pol/SR/FEC missing in your setup...http://www.satcodx2.com/0260/uke/ Also on this site you will notice VPIDS, APIDS & PCRPIDS meaning if you have the freqs etc for the channels you may have to enter in the pids if they are not there!

G

GotMyBusPass

Hi Stephen W

Just saw your post, did a check running with the 85cm dish.
Nilesat at 7west, transponder 12295, 2893, 3/4, Vertical, strength 80+, quality 30+. Even the weaker transponders are showing strength 80+ and quality 20-22, rock solid pictures.
Arabsat at 26east, transponder 11785, 27500, 3/4, Vertical, strength 80+, quality 50+.
I do seem to remember posting with a chap on another board about 6 months ago, he was close to Thetford and having trouble getting 26east with a 80cm old Astra dish, he finally went up to 90+cms and got the satellite with no trouble.

waverider

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
gotmybuspass said:
Hi Stephen W

Just saw your post, did a check running with the 85cm dish.
Nilesat at 7west, transponder 12295, 2893, 3/4, Vertical, strength 80+, quality 30+. Even the weaker transponders are showing strength 80+ and quality 20-22, rock solid pictures.
Arabsat at 26east, transponder 11785, 27500, 3/4, Vertical, strength 80+, quality 50+.
I do seem to remember posting with a chap on another board about 6 months ago, he was close to Thetford and having trouble getting 26east with a 80cm old Astra dish, he finally went up to 90+cms and got the satellite with no trouble.
Too right m8, when I first installed my system I started with a 90cm in fact mine is oval so it's 1.1m vertical and 90cm width!, but even with this size I cannot receive Amos 4'W....So really the larger you can get away with, is always the better!

waverider

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
Stephen W said:
I tried again today - lovely clear sunny day on the east coast - but the results were the same as before trying to dwonload channels from 26E i.e none of the arabic channels but all the nordic ones that I can get on Sirius! Frustrating to say the least! Help!
Sorry StephenW...I just noticed in one of your post's you are running two dishes!.....is the 98cm bolted to a DISEqC motor?

S

Stephen W

My Location
Norfolk
waverider said:
Sorry StephenW...I just noticed in one of your post's you are running two dishes!.....is the 98cm bolted to a DISEqC motor?
No, I have only the one dish, an 80cm one, which the installer said would be more than sufficient for most sats. I will follow the advice of yourself and gotmy buspass and keep trying!

G

GotMyBusPass

@ waverider

Hi M8 it's me who has a 98cm Funke and a 85cm Gibertini, and yes motorised but not at the same time.

waverider

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
LOL Sorry! I was talking to someone in the office at the same time whilst writing my post....got a bit in a mucking fuddle m8 :D

G

GotMyBusPass

@ waverider

Easily done , work does interfere with pleasure sometimes:) .
Takes me about 25-30 minutes to change from one to the other. But after a heart attack and by-pass operation I am not as nimble or fast as I once was.
I was thinking of putting one of the dishes with a motor in the old wooden greenhouse, twin cables into a diseqe switch into the receiver. Perhaps a project for the better weather.
Take care.

waverider

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
So I take it that the dish will be pointing out of an open window or something? you never know though, the sat signals to the dish might produce you a bumper crop of tomatoes m8 :D

G

GotMyBusPass

@ waverider

I posted my results on another board, just to shoot down a "so called $k* installer" who kept on insisting that you could not get $k* through windows despite the fact that a number of posters had already stated that they could get $k* through double glazed windows.
I ran a zone one minidish on my computer chair looking through the double glazed window in the lounge and through my plastic roofed conservatory. By playing around I got signals from 36east to 15west. Walls got in the way outside these limits.
Later I tried the 85cm in the UPVC conservatory on my computer chair and got 45east to 45west, which is the same as my outside dish. I agree that perhaps in heavy rain with the glass running with water I might get some outage. I just thought I would tidy up and get rid of the ironwork attached to the bungalow and hide the dish inside the unused old greenhouse, a left over from a previous owner. I'll just have to make sure that the LNB does not get too hot during summer.
You never know, irradiated tomatoes might last longer:D