any idears

llss

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 1500 ci super 80 c m dish diseque 1.2 superjack motorised system dragon celebro cas 3
My Location
northumberland
hello any idears folks , whilst align ing , aerials , mainly new installations has anybody made any new designs for getting readings off aerial , without judgeing how much cable needed for the job and end up wasteing 4 meters or so . i was thinking of a crocodile clip style lead connecting to the main aerial connection elemets has anybody got any good idears , as you will well know the day of just pointing aerial in right direction has gone , with the digital on low power at moment , and analouge so high , spectrunm analizer needed, so i am Humping him up the ladder now, time is precious , many thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
No induction method of reading signal accurately as far as I am aware, got loads of four metre lengths myself. :)

llss

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 1500 ci super 80 c m dish diseque 1.2 superjack motorised system dragon celebro cas 3
My Location
northumberland
i cheers rolfw , i thought so , better long than to short i d say lol lol many thanks

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Why not connect the whole length of finished cable to the aerial, (start with the indoor work first, saves you trailing pigeon shit and lichen into the living room) and connect your analyser flylead to the completed TV outlet ?

Works for me

llss

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
northumberland
thanks for reply , it might just be a stigma , but i always start top to bottom, basicly like to know if this is going to work before i start drilling holes and attatching cables permantley, i also do nt like clarting on with connections on the roof , i suppose eveybody has their own way thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Channel Hopper said:
Why not connect the whole length of finished cable to the aerial, (start with the indoor work first, saves you trailing pigeon shit and lichen into the living room) and connect your analyser flylead to the completed TV outlet ?

Works for me

No good, very difficult to move an aerial in the bracket on the chimney when stood in the living room looking at the meter. :-lmao Also, the aerial, mast and connections are normally made down on terra firma, where it is easy to do, you don't really want to be wrestling with a 10ft mast on a difficult roof.;)

If you are likely to need a masthead amp then it isn't a problem, as the cable length is only long enough to reach the masthead anyway, if not, then 60 pence worth of cable wasted is not a mammoth problem.

llss

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
northumberland
yes could nt agree more , its hard enough getting a lashing kit on these days , nevermind ajusting aerials ,brackets , masts , up and down the ladder lots of times. nevermind , just trying to look at easyier methods

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I actually meant fitting everything first, and (whilst on the roof) with the 10m or so of flylead from TV outlet to the meter (also on the roof), start adjusting the aerial for best reception.

All connections are already completed, just the final tightening of the bolts on the mast, and the elevation bracket on the aerial.

Its unlikely you would have to take everything down after, if the neighbours either side have a similar set up on the roof.

llss

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
northumberland
yeah i know what you mean its basicly the same way , it was i was hopeing their was a small type of lead which you could clip on to the termals , elements , whatever of the aerial , whist the correct installion cable is attached . if this makes sense lol ,and the other end of this lead being whatever f connector or rf plug , all you would have to do is take cap or lid of and get reading with this lead , hopeing someone inventes one lol

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Why not fit an F connector to a short lead of the aerial, and one to the main down lead to the TV outlet. When you have finished adjustment, use an F-F barrel and seal with amalgamating tape.

It would cost £1 or so extra though(and I'm a skinflint which is why I dont use this technique).

llss

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
northumberland
yes very true m8 you can do that , its a good way which i have thought off before but customers hate the word joins , i would do that all the time if i could but you can garrantee i will get pulled up thanks m8