Any subscribers for TopUpTv?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Agreeing to differ here Mick. :)

What I would add though and probably one of the arguments against TUTV, when Freeview was being set up, it was rumoured (very strongly) that TCM and a couple of the channels now in the TUTV package were to be part of Freeview.

Now whether they were or were not, it certainly would have muddied the waters for them with the directors of TUTV telling them that they can be part of the later addition of TUTV as a pay channel. Perhaps had it not been for this, we would have them for free already.

When you take the case of ITVDigital, formerly OnDigital, the take up was not meteoric, even given the huge influx of hacker viewers on basic subscription.

Compare it with the way that Freeview has taken off, people like the idea of a one of payment and then free viewing thereafter. You never know, it may do you a favour if TUTV dies, you could end up getting extra channels for free as they are unlikely to ignore a 10 million plus potential pool of viewers. :)

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Costs are all relative to ones tastes of course. On Sky, if you like sport (football/cricket/rugby etc) plus a choice in films and some risque stuff thrown in then I think £10 per week is reasonable. To go and watch one premiership match is upwards of £20/25 and more if you have a family to take with you.

Mick....what did you mean by the reference to BBC. Freeview is owned by the BBC, Crown Castle International and BSkyB.

F1 Mike

Reaction score
I do think it rather strange that as soon as there is a seka 2 hack Sky Italia is almost immediately fighting back while Digital+ on 19.2 is still freely available with no problems so far for hackers

MickH

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
North East
rolfw said:
it may do you a favour if TUTV dies, you could end up getting extra channels for free as they are unlikely to ignore a 10 million plus potential pool of viewers. :)
A very good point Rolf if, as you predict, TopUp TV does not survive. I can't understand why some of these channels didn't end up on Freeview anyway, but your reference to TCM may well lead us to the right conclusions! In a similar vein, I've heard from several sources that Setanta are more than keen to be added to the Freeview line-up, but that's not exactly going to cause any great excitement is it?
Anyway, if you're wrong (re TUTV) you'll hear from me next March, if not, no doubt I'll hear from you sooner! :)