Anybody play a music instrument / sing ?

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
I used to play guitar in my teens and in my early twenties, but then wife and kids and work happened and I sort of stopped. Maybe once a year or so I got the old guitar out but that was it. So about 3 years ago we were in a music shop and I saw a cool little Fender Amp that was on reduced price, so I bought it and started maing some noise again. After a while I started looking at backing tracks on the internet to play along, and found wikiloops project history and offline member jamsessions
Basically the people there record a track, upload it, and then someone else downloads it, adds his instrument and re-uploads it. And so a song or jam is created.

For me, it was a revelation - I can do music from home - I don't have time to go out jamming or blaying with a band. There are no covers allowed, only original music, and you can find anything there. But, very similar to satellites.co.uk, people there are friendly and nice.

I can definetly say that playing along there has improved my playing quite a lot, and that I feel stupid that I have stopped playing for so long before...

So, anyway if you have played an instrument and looking to go back, or are too busy to play in a real band then check the site out.

Here is a jam that I have played rhythm and lead guitar - I hope the embedding works. Maybe I see you out there

"If 6 was nine or maybe 3??" | free Jazz-Rock backing track

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Elite 2.2 PF - CM1.8 - CM1.2 - Gibertini 1.25.
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
PC cards-TM5402 receivers.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.
Marcus Miller Fender Jazz bass 4 string, Fender Jazz bass 4 string, Marleaux Consat Custom 5 string bass. Trace Elliot / TC Electronics rigs here.
Gigged when i was around 18 years old for a bit, got married, had a 47 yr break but kept the basses and back into it again now.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
About the only "musical" thing I do is play the porcelain tuba, but I don't think most people consider farting on the toilet as musical... :-rofl2

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Have never gigged but a long time back played and sang at a music and poetry meeting once a week. I've two guitars, an old acoustic which is more than a little warped now and late last year treated myself to a Fender Blues Junior tube amp and a Gordon Smith Classic T (UK made)

Gordon Smith Classic T sienna burst.jpg

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Got to Grade 4 on the piano in my early teens and then gave up. I have a couple of synthesizers in the shed and a couple of clarinets that I was going to spend time on if I ever got some spare time via a lottery win, still waiting. I can hold a tune though.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Marcus Miller Fender Jazz bass 4 string, Fender Jazz bass 4 string, Marleaux Consat Custom 5 string bass. Trace Elliot / TC Electronics rigs here.
Gigged when i was around 18 years old for a bit, got married, had a 47 yr break but kept the basses and back into it again now.

Lol you had an even longer break than me, mine was only about 15 years :) . Good that you are back - I hope I see you out there on Wikiloops. Maybe we'll collaborate on a satellite dish song? :p

About the only "musical" thing I do is play the porcelain tuba, but I don't think most people consider farting on the toilet as musical...

I heard you are really shit at it, too :-lmao

Have never gigged but a long time back played and sang at a music and poetry meeting once a week. I've two guitars, an old acoustic which is more than a little warped now and late last year treated myself to a Fender Blues Junior tube amp and a Gordon Smith Classic T (UK made)

Well, same as I told John, hope to see you out there! Especially singers are in high demand !

Got to Grade 4 on the piano in my early teens and then gave up. I have a couple of synthesizers in the shed and a couple of clarinets that I was going to spend time on if I ever got some spare time via a lottery win, still waiting. I can hold a tune though.

Well, if I was you I'd not wait for the windfall, go for it right now. I rediscovered music, and I haven't regretted it.

By the way, ever since I bought that little Fender Amp I replaced it with a 50 w Peavey Tube amp - much louder :eek: . I went to a few jam sessions that are organised once a year, plus a few others, had lots of fun with it. But I would not be able to gig or practice on a regular basis, I am happy to play on my living room sofa :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
I played the drums in a Rock and Roll band many years ago.
Was a good time, lots of fun playing all over Sweden, even made a few gigs in Italy and Germany.
Too noisy now

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Was a good time, lots of fun playing all over Sweden, even made a few gigs in Italy and Germany.
Too noisy now

Try this

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Elite 2.2 PF - CM1.8 - CM1.2 - Gibertini 1.25.
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
PC cards-TM5402 receivers.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.

That's awesome, our drummer tries to use his e-kit at rehearsals but is not keen on it. I'll pass this vid onto him.

A

Archive7

I got a harmonica as a present from my Dad when I was a boy. I enjoyed very much playing with it.
One day My Dad got furious for waking him up while having his siesta, looked for the 5 kilo hammer and started bashing on the poor little thing.
That was the end of my instrument playing talent discovery.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Music is a mystery to me, apart from Pink Floyd, obviously.

But I do have a Silver Medal from the Royal School of Church Music, from when I were a Choirboy.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Too noisy now

WHAT!

I never got past the recorder at school

shawl_who

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SES7, Yahsat 1A, Yamal 54.9e, express am33 @103e, eutelsat 36b
My Location
New Delhi, India
I play d guitar... beginner level :rolleyes::-woohoo

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin