Advice Needed Anyone using online data storage?

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Hi guys,
I have been backupping my computer onto USB hard drives for years, always fearing that my computer will croak and I'll lose all the pictures and stuff. So instead of buying a new USB device every few years, I was thinking about storing it online somewhere. I see that google drive give me 15 GB storage, so I could use that, but what are the alternatives? Anyone has experience with it?

Thanks for the info :)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Our bb isnt fast enough to think about any kind of online storage backup so we have a couple of nasboxes instead which all the important stuff is backed up onto.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
I've been using Dropbox myself, though mostly just for my photos and videos I've taken on my mobile, works well for other things though...

The only thing I don't like about it is the hoops you have to jump through to get the full offered storage space, signing up others to their service by referral, adding more devices to your account, etc., once it's done, it's great, but initially it's a PITA...

A nonymous

Reaction score
You could try the company that google advertising has added when i looked at this post:-lmao

hosting.jpg

A

Archive-8

Dropbox is brilliant, I use it all the time, from my pc's at both houses, and it's on iPad/iPhone.

5gbs for free if that's not enough then you can pay to upgrade it.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I wouldn't dream of going to a cloud with my data. I've seen the horror stores of others, in particular those that trusted a large company in the US that went under, leaving no access/retrieval.

Don't forget the Megaupload incident either (20,000 terrabytes ?), many were caught up in innocent storage when the facility was shut down.

Like the film 'Envy' though, where does all the dog-poo go to ?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You could try the company that google advertising has added when i looked at this post:-lmao

View attachment 86680

Adverts? How quaint ;)

When you bb is as slow as mine you have very aggressive filtering - last time I checked the adverts were doubling or tripling the page loading times. :(

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I use Dropbox, I take a photo on my phone and by the time I am home, it is on my laptop and on my backup home server, really depends on just how much you have to store I suppose

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I have a few files in both MS One Drive (which came as part on Win 8.1) and Dropbox. Both are the free versions. I believe I also have some free space with Google but how much I don't know as I've never used it.

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
I've been trying this out on the iPhones and the PC for photo backups
Code:
http://shoeboxapp.com/