Apple G5 thoughts

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I've currently got one of these in the back of the van, complete with a rather nice matching aluminium display screen.

The specifications confirm it's all 64 bit stuff on the motherboard, so would it be possible to fit a 64 bit version of Windows 8 onto a blank hard drive and run it on the Apple hardware ?

I did have some success a while ago with an iMAC, but that was to run XP 32 bit, nothing more. Thread somewhere in the archives

A nonymous

Reaction score
Its a PowerPC CPU so i really don't think it would work in all honesty. No harm in trying though. I would imagine drivers would be the biggest problem.

I still use mine with OSX 10.5. The only thing that doesn't work with it is Flash which is annoying considering how many websites use it now.

Nano

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
According to my apple nut of a friend over across the pond, the G5 CPUs were sh*t... :-rofl2

Apparently when motorola stopped making PPC processors, IBM had a go at it, and out popped their in-house design G5 which apparently wasn't all that good, and was the main reason they switched over to Intel CPUs... :)

I'm sure you could run Windows on it, but only under the MacOS with VirtualBox or similar, don't think Windows supports PPC so running natively wouldn't really work...

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Thanks. The reasoning was that since it was a freebie, and a 64 bit mobo, I could get some reasonable processing speed out of a modernish Windows o/s (the wife's laptop came with a COA Win7-64bit disk which isn't being used).

The G5 also has a nice looking video card plus a box of RAM which would fill all the available slots.

Will continue to look.

A nonymous

Reaction score
You can run Linux on it :D

There are a few distros still available for the G5 cpu.

Nano

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Linux would be a bonus, is it processor/mobo transparent though ?

A nonymous

Reaction score
No idea, I looked at Linux but never got round to installing it. I was going to use it as a server.