Are Both Amazonas 2 & 3 at the same location ?

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
I'm puzzled by this ..
I know there used to be a data transponder only at this extreme west location ..
but having centred up Amazonas3 12642 H ...I now find there is a large spike several clicks west of this 11468H to be precise
SR17867 ..32PSK sometimes
Blank carrier ..nothing showing up with the TBS card ..
So perhaps this transponder is on Amazonas 2 ...and the 2 sats aren't co located ...exactly at 61W
Here is a picture of the spike ????

Also worth mentioning the 12642H and 12522H (Amazonas 3) are nowhere to be seen when I'm centred on the spike.
rgds
VS
 

Attachments

  • unknown spike.webp
    unknown spike.webp
    117.7 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Just a guess, but could the "spike" be Telstar at 63 west?
It has an "Atlantic" beam which IIRC is the furthest domestic satellite west to have a Ku beam intended to cover at least part of Europe.
 
Yes that's Telstar 14R at 63.0 West, that MIS transponder is reported by others already.
Sometimes you might catch a frame of some TV station (meant for Transatlantic travellers) .

Had you checked my page, it's clear in a glance that frequency can only be Telstar 14R! :)
http://members.ziggo.nl/hvdh16/Sats/Sats.htm
 
Thanks guys ..Telstar 14R eh ...
Quite a catch for me and proves I'm following the arc quite well with Carl my 1.5m Fortec Star.
rgds
VS
 
Furthest west anyone has ever been in UK! I do have visibility of 63W from my garden but not where my dish is.

Nice catch.
 
I let my list go all the way to 80 West for you guys, otherwise 70 West would be enough here on the continent. ;)
Here is definitely a challenge! Maybe the three Star One's at 65, 70 or 75 West have some leakage outside their footprints?
 
Now it's daylight I can take this shot from an upstairs room ...ie Mission Control ;)
Shows Carl pointing at 63 West ..and once again ...peeping over fences..
He's being both Nosey and Neighbourly..
:)
rgds
VS
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0135.webp
    DSCF0135.webp
    205.9 KB · Views: 101
Ok ...did a blindscan of Telstar14R ...and was surprised as 2 more transponders popped up ..
Both are currently blank or carrying data the Analyser can't interpret..
So that makes 3 in Horizontal
11468H
11662H
11680H
the images are attached
rgds
VS
 

Attachments

  • Telsar 14R.webp
    Telsar 14R.webp
    69.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Telstar 14R a.webp
    Telstar 14R a.webp
    77.6 KB · Views: 65
  • Telstar 14R b.webp
    Telstar 14R b.webp
    72.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Telstar 14R c.webp
    Telstar 14R c.webp
    74.6 KB · Views: 68
hi VS it looks like telstar at 63W I got a data channel on 11667H sr5000 also 11468H sr22000,when I scanned this sat on the horizontal I got two transponders which went up to 98% quality but did not lock so no sr
 
hi hvdh I tried sats at 65W and 67W with Ku and c-band but no luck
 
hi hvdh I tried sats at 65W and 67W with Ku and c-band but no luck
I suspect you were pushing your luck there buddy..
Unless of course they _do_ have European beams..
No chance with the tight conus dth beams ..
Still at least we can push a bit further West now..
rgds
VS
 
I guess it won't be as easy as Telstar 14R since all footprints beyond 63 West aim for the Americas.
But especially C-band often cover a whole continent and the footprint maps won't bother about minor sidelobes that may reach into Europe.
Note that 70 West Star One C2 still uses some Analogue (PAL)!
 
Shows Carl pointing at 63 West ..and once again ...peeping over fences..
He's being both Nosey and Neighbourly..

May I suggest you rename him "Chad" .................. ???
 
Hi VS I did a slow scan on Telstar 14R the transponder 11468H sr22000 I have changed the sr to 17867 and now it comes in at 96% quality no lock,11662H sr 1500 comes in at 71% no lock,11667H sr 5000 comes in at 62% locked,11680H sr 13500 comes in at 76% no lock,i also picked up 11634H 18000 at 92% no lock and there is a transponder at around 11713H at 78% but cannot find the sr when you have time could you please check these transponders.cheers
 
That 11713 H is totally odd and I would chase it endlessly, if it really comes from 63 West!
Could only be US beam or Brazil beam.

If it were from the neighbours at 61 or 65 West, would also be amazing!
 
Hi VS I did a slow scan on Telstar 14R the transponder 11468H sr22000 I have changed the sr to 17867 and now it comes in at 96% quality no lock,11662H sr 1500 comes in at 71% no lock,11667H sr 5000 comes in at 62% locked,11680H sr 13500 comes in at 76% no lock,i also picked up 11634H 18000 at 92% no lock and there is a transponder at around 11713H at 78% but cannot find the sr when you have time could you please check these transponders.cheers
Yes I can see the transponder at 11634H ...getting a good 10db here ..but no lock..
The TBS card is making no sense of it..
No sign at all of the other one 11713H ..not even a hint.
rgds
VS
 
I'm amazed that you peeps are picking anything up on T14 from your neck of the woods as this sat footprint is mainly for South and Central Ameica. A couple of years back there used to be a Pbs mux that was attainable here in North America but it just disappeared and I haven't seen anything since. I get a lock on the 11668 tp but not enough signal quality for a lock on the others, this is with a crippled motor that I have to have changed this Spring.
 
Yes I can see the transponder at 11634H ...getting a good 10db here ..but no lock..
The TBS card is making no sense of it..
No sign at all of the other one 11713H ..not even a hint.
rgds
VS


Thanks,
Alicante, España---1.2m.......scan today at 16.00hrs revealed:-


63.0ºW   05-03-2014 16.00hrs.webp

Still interesting.

Best wishes
 
The beam that can be received in Europe, at least without massive dishes, from Telstar 14R is the North Atlantic Region KuBand beam with an EIRP in the UK of 45dbw though it might be a bit low on the horizon for those in eastern parts of the country. There's no standard TV or radio broadcasts on that beam presently that I know of.

http://www.telesat.com/our-fleet#telstar-14r
 
Back
Top