Newbie Here Are there any Smart phone apps that help align a new dish?

ched999uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
zone 1 sky type dish with quad lnb @28.2e, zone 2 sky dish with octo lnb @ 19.2e and Humax Foxsat HDR
My Location
Sunny Blackpool
I have a compass and a simple analogue 'sat finder' meter but I also have access to both android and iPhone smart phones. I notice that there are a lot of 'satellite finder' apps available.
Are any of them actually worth using or is it better to use compass and simple sat finder meter?

Looking at 'sat meters' is seems like there are the simple analogue ones starting at £10 and realistically then next ones are £80 for a SatLink 6909.

Currently I only need to setup the new dish (for 19.2e - Formula 1) nice big flat roof to work from so no hanging off ladders and then maybe once or twice a year setup a mobile dish. So probably not really worth spending much on a meter but you never know?

So for very occasional use what can I get away with?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Use dishpointer.com and put in your postcode and pick the 19.2 East satellite, it will draw a line of sight on Google earth, this will give you a good idea of direction, then use a cheap sat beeper to find the satellite, shouldn't take too long, then check the satellite by connecting to the receiver.

There are several android apps, but I've found them all to be inaccurate.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
The apps will only give you a rough indication of where to point the dish. Best bet is a compass, a simple plug in line beeper meter and a satellite receiver. Know your transponder details, freq etc. Set this up on the receiver ready so you can scan Tp to see where you are.

ched999uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
zone 1 sky type dish with quad lnb @28.2e, zone 2 sky dish with octo lnb @ 19.2e and Humax Foxsat HDR
My Location
Sunny Blackpool
The apps will only give you a rough indication of where to point the dish. Best bet is a compass, a simple plug in line beeper meter and a satellite receiver. Know your transponder details, freq etc. Set this up on the receiver ready so you can scan Tp to see where you are.

Thanks.
Scan Tp?
Real Noob question: I have Humax HDR how do I set up transponder details so I can scan for 19.2e?
Thanks

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Tp (transponder).
Your transponder details will most probably be on the satellite list already. It's been a while since I have looked into the HDR's set up menu.

select the satellite, find the transponder from the list, or an installation set up menu where you can see the signal strength/quality against the transponder.

What channels or freq is it?

mikeisyou

Feed Hunter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Octagon SX88+, Static 1.2m Raven Dish (22w to 33e), Motorized Dish (9e to 52e)
My Location
England
Tp (transponder).
Your transponder details will most probably be on the satellite list already. It's been a while since I have looked into the HDR's set up menu.

select the satellite, find the transponder from the list, or an installation set up menu where you can see the signal strength/quality against the transponder.

What channels or freq is it?

I think he's after RTL Germany which is on 12188 H 27500 DVB-S QPSK 3/4