Are these cheap 1m ebay dishes actually any good?

srx200

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skyline DSR-4000, Grundig GRD250, Ross DVB-S 5010.
Mk3 zone 2 sky dish, 65cm Ross satellite dish, communal fed 28.2.
My Location
Cornwall
Hello,
I'm looking to expand my humble dish farm and i'm not sure what dish to get. I'm not looking for any particular obscure satellite, just something cheap and cheerfull to play around and and at a later date add a motor. I'v been looking at the cheap dishes on ebay and i think this might be suitable ebay 390345771499. Or for a fiver more is it worth getting a 1.1m? They seem like a good price for the size, but are they are they any good? I have a rusted out 85cm and that seems huge so this must be a monster! It will be mounted on a south facing wall, t &k brackets, scaffold pole, hidden from public view, low down in the back garden in Cornwall. Just wondering what peoples thoughs were before i took the plunge,thanks for looking.

paxrax

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
☆☆☆vu+ duo☆☆☆
dm800s (rev m)☆☆☆
dm800s (rev l3)☆☆☆
1m motorised dish☆☆☆
zone 1 sky dish☆☆☆
My Location
uk
youll get a cheap 1.1m triax off ebay, decent quality for the money.

srx200

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall
Ah, i seen the 110cm Triax with a motor and LNB for a pretty reasonable price. It would be nice to see a few in real life first, to get an idea of the sizes though. Hmmm...decisions.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Anything above 80cm = big and bulky.

srx200

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall
Yes i think you're right(!) I marked out the sizes for a 1m and 1.1m on the wall and they are huge. I'd be quite happy with a s/h 80 or 90 but havn't come accross any locally in the months i'v been looking and if i have to buy new, i might as well go for the largest, within reason.

paxrax

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
☆☆☆vu+ duo☆☆☆
dm800s (rev m)☆☆☆
dm800s (rev l3)☆☆☆
1m motorised dish☆☆☆
zone 1 sky dish☆☆☆
My Location
uk
if youre thinking about getting the nordic beam for viasat on 4.8e then a 80cm will be too small, 1m isnt big at all once the dish has been up for a few months :D

martinuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, C120 Invacom 0.3 LNB & Feedhorn, with Tm.Vbox &Technomate 5402HD
My Location
uk-stoke-on-trent
srx200 said:
Hello,
I'm looking to expand my humble dish farm and i'm not sure what dish to get. I'm not looking for any particular obscure satellite, just something cheap and cheerfull to play around and and at a later date add a motor. I'v been looking at the cheap dishes on ebay and i think this might be suitable ebay 390345771499. Or for a fiver more is it worth getting a 1.1m? They seem like a good price for the size, but are they are they any good? I have a rusted out 85cm and that seems huge so this must be a monster! It will be mounted on a south facing wall, t &k brackets, scaffold pole, hidden from public view, low down in the back garden in Cornwall. Just wondering what peoples thoughs were before i took the plunge,thanks for looking.

The faval 1 meter dishes are good i rate them, was very good with black ultra
i pulled in nordic beam for viasat on 4.8e peace of piss mate with faval dish, same goes for the 80cm faval i had but depends on were you live in the uk to pull in nordic beam

Ratchet

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402(M2), TBS 6983, Sky+ HD, Stab USALS HH100, Faval 1M, Triax TD54, Hauppauge HD PVR
My Location
Falkirk
martinuk said:
i pulled in nordic beam for viasat on 4.8e peace of piss mate with faval dish, same goes for the 80cm faval i had but depends on were you live in the uk to pull in nordic beam

I concur with martinuk, these dishes are good performers for the money. I've been using one for about 6 months or so ever since my 85cm mesh dish got mangled in the last big storm. Combine with an Inverto Black Ultra LNB and performance is really good on weaker sats. Recently I even managed to lock signals from Amos 3 @ 4.0W, quite a feat this far North and West.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
martinuk said:

He is in Cornwall according to the profile - not favourable for the Nordic beam

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
srx200 said:
Yes i think you're right(!) I marked out the sizes for a 1m and 1.1m on the wall and they are huge. I'd be quite happy with a s/h 80 or 90 but havn't come accross any locally in the months i'v been looking and if i have to buy new, i might as well go for the largest, within reason.

Ive just realised your location is Cornwall - you will need something considerably bigger than 1.1m to get the Viasat Nordic beam channels - start thinking of 1.8m or bigger....!

Cornwall is the least favourable area of the UK to get the 5E Nordic stuff.

srx200

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall
It's good to know that the dish is pretty good but i'm not sure where the idea came from that i was looking for the Viasat nordic beam! I'm just interested in playing around really, but i'l know now not to even bother trying for that one, a 1.8m is just a little too large, a 1.1m is scaring me enough at the mo :) I'v read a lot of good stuff about the Inverto black lnb and that's on top of my short list should the dish i end up, not come with one.
Yes, that's correct i am in Cornwall, Truro.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
ABout as far south west as you can go in the UK without getting wet feet :D

The reason the idea has come about you are wanting the Viasat Nordic beam is simple - Viasat a good service for the 3pm football games, and we have had a lot of folk asking about it recently :)

srx200

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall
Well, with the weather i'v been out in the last few weeks i'd be pretty happy with just wet feet! Oh i see, no i must be a rare newby not to be asking about free football :) FTA music channels would be the most interesting for me if anything, i'v seen quite a few on Turksat (42e iirc) so that's probably where i'l be looking first. I suppose no harm in looking for this Nordic beam thing when i get the chance, i do enjoy little challenges!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Viasat football is certainly not free - you are looking at over a thousand quid a year!

Loads of free music channels though:

-http://en.kingofsat.net/find2.php?pos=&cl=&num_pays=&num_genre=12&num_crypt=1&num_standard=&ordre=freq

srx200

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cornwall
For me, football is a pub sport :) I'm surprised that there are so many english language channels on 4.8. I just seen the footprint of that satellite, i think for me to get anything on that would be really lucky, like you said i couldn't be in a worse location for that. Turksat looks promising!

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Analoguesat said:
Ive just realised your location is Cornwall - you will need something considerably bigger than 1.1m to get the Viasat Nordic beam channels - start thinking of 1.8m or bigger....!
Apart from 12015V & 12054V and a couple of 8PSK transponders I get everything from that satellite on the 1.5m aerial all the way down here.

Attachments

• 4.8E.jpg
    4.8E.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 54

Captain Jack

Retired human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Nordic beam in Cornwall isn't undoable. There's a member here with a 1.2m Gibby dish receiving everything from 5E in Devon. I receive most stuff on an 85cm Penta here in Bristol.

A nonymous

Reaction score
By past experience i found Favel dishes are crap.

Only ever put one up and i can quite honestly say i won't be doing another.

The dish i put up was an 85cm Favel dish for a friend in Paignton. The dish lasted about 18 months before it fell to pieces due to rusting away. The arm was the first thing to go.

The signal quality wasn't the worst i've seen but the build quality wasn't anything to shout home about. I would definately spend the bit extra and go for a Triax TD110 :D

Nano