Aspect ratio keeps changing by itself

raycer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Dual Core Socket AM2 64-bit Processor. ASRock AM2NF6G-VSTA Motherboard. 1024mb Kingston 667 DDR2 Memory. 160gb 7200rpm SATA2 Maxtor Hard Drive. 20 x DVDRW (+/-) Dual Layer Drive. Realtek ALC888 7.1 channel CODEC with H
My Location
Bucks
Humax Foxsat HDR. Just recently when in EPG and Media, etc the aspect ratio keeps changing by itself. Big - small - big -small. I haven't altered the aspect ratio on the TV and it doesn't do it when watching TV.

raycer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Dual Core Socket AM2 64-bit Processor. ASRock AM2NF6G-VSTA Motherboard. 1024mb Kingston 667 DDR2 Memory. 160gb 7200rpm SATA2 Maxtor Hard Drive. 20 x DVDRW (+/-) Dual Layer Drive. Realtek ALC888 7.1 channel CODEC with H
My Location
Bucks
Humax Foxsat HDR. Just recently when in EPG and Media, etc the aspect ratio keeps changing by itself. Big - small - big -small. I haven't altered the aspect ratio on the TV and it doesn't do it when watching TV.

tyke65

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Panasonic TV/iMac
My Location
UK
Does it do this as you move up/down the channel list? If so, it may only be reflecting the aspect ratio of the underlying programme.

tyke65

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Panasonic TV/iMac
My Location
UK
Does it do this as you move up/down the channel list? If so, it may only be reflecting the aspect ratio of the underlying programme.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
..This might be irrelevant info ...but some TV's allow you set the aspect ratio to auto-detect ...and just maybe when switched from epg as opposed to watching TV ...this is confusing your Television ..
ie ..the TV just can't get to grips with the aspect ratio when in this mode..
If there _is_ an autodetect AR on your set ..and it _is_ set.
Then Try fixing 16:9 or 14:9 instead in the relevant menu.
rgds

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
..This might be irrelevant info ...but some TV's allow you set the aspect ratio to auto-detect ...and just maybe when switched from epg as opposed to watching TV ...this is confusing your Television ..
rgds

raycer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
Bucks
tyke65 said:

No, only when in EPG, Media, Schedule, etc and when going from one to the other. In any case, this fault has only developed recently and I've had the box since February.

raycer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
Bucks
tyke65 said:

No, only when in EPG, Media, Schedule, etc and when going from one to the other. In any case, this fault has only developed recently and I've had the box since February.

raycer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
Bucks
Vipersan said:
rgds

I've always had the aspect ratio on the TV set to Auto without any problems until just recently. It is evidently a fault in the Humax.

raycer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
Bucks
Vipersan said:
rgds

I've always had the aspect ratio on the TV set to Auto without any problems until just recently. It is evidently a fault in the Humax.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
raycer said:

I appreciate what you are saying ...but if for example ...the Humax has recently received an ota firmware upgrade ...
..and.. If the epg format has changed as as a result ..then this could explain why the constant changes are occurring ..
I'm not trying to attach blame to the TV ..
just trying to find a possible workaround ..to solve your problem..
I too suspect the box is responsible ...but this might not be fixable ..unless another ota fix is sent ..
rgds
VS

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
raycer said:

I appreciate what you are saying ...but if for example ...the Humax has recently received an ota firmware upgrade ...
..and.. If the epg format has changed as as a result ..then this could explain why the constant changes are occurring ..
I too suspect the box is responsible ...but this might not be fixable ..unless another ota fix is sent ..
rgds
VS

raycer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
Bucks
Vipersan said:
rgds
VS
I'll give your suggestion a try but I suspect it will affect the TV picture with the aspect ratio fixed in one ratio. If the problem is due to an OTA upgrade, surely lots of other Hummy users would be posting here.

raycer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
Bucks
Vipersan said:
rgds
VS
I'll give your suggestion a try but I suspect it will affect the TV picture with the aspect ratio fixed in one ratio. If the problem is due to an OTA upgrade, surely lots of other Hummy users would be posting here.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
raycer said:
If it's just affecting the EPG then many would not notice.

I don't use my Hummy as my main receiver - I prefer the speed of my terrestrial Freeview box - but I'll try to have a look this evening, maybe if there's something on BBC HD I want to watch.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
raycer said:

I don't use my Hummy as my main receiver - I prefer the speed of my terrestrial Freeview box - but I'll try to have a look this evening, maybe if there's something on BBC HD I want to watch.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Just had another thought. How do you connect your Hummy to the TV? Is it Scart or HDMI?

I use HDMI and, as my TV is 1080P ready, use the pixel for pixel mapping option on the display option of the Hummy. The result of this is that I get slight;y morepicture on the TV as picture overlap is eliminated.

There is a disadvantage in this though. When watching 4:3 programmes, such as American Dad, the autosizing function of TV can't kick in and as a result the stretching sideways makes all the figures fat. On the Freeview box the autosizing also clips a bit off the top so that they are not so obviously distorted.

To sum up my waffling - my setup may not produce this result even if it exists!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Just had another thought. How do you connect your Hummy to the TV? Is it Scart or HDMI?

I use HDMI and, as my TV is 1080P ready, use the pixel for pixel mapping option on the display option of the Hummy. The result of this is that I get slight;y morepicture on the TV as picture overlap is eliminated.

There is a disadvantage in this though. When watching 4:3 programmes, such as American Dad, the autosizing function of TV can't kick in and as a result the stretching sideways makes all the figures fat. On the Freeview box the autosizing also clips a bit off the top so that they are not so obviously distorted.

To sum up my waffling - my setup may not produce this result even if it exists!

raycer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
Bucks
PaulR said:

It's not only in the EPG and nobody could miss it - flicking up and down - it is irritating.

raycer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
Bucks
PaulR said:

It's not only in the EPG and nobody could miss it - flicking up and down - it is irritating.