Aspect ratio keeps changing by itself

raycer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Dual Core Socket AM2 64-bit Processor. ASRock AM2NF6G-VSTA Motherboard. 1024mb Kingston 667 DDR2 Memory. 160gb 7200rpm SATA2 Maxtor Hard Drive. 20 x DVDRW (+/-) Dual Layer Drive. Realtek ALC888 7.1 channel CODEC with H
My Location
Bucks
PaulR said:
Just had another thought. How do you connect your Hummy to the TV? Is it Scart or HDMI?

I use HDMI and, as my TV is 1080P ready, use the pixel for pixel mapping option on the display option of the Hummy. The result of this is that I get slight;y morepicture on the TV as picture overlap is eliminated.

There is a disadvantage in this though. When watching 4:3 programmes, such as American Dad, the autosizing function of TV can't kick in and as a result the stretching sideways makes all the figures fat. On the Freeview box the autosizing also clips a bit off the top so that they are not so obviously distorted.

To sum up my waffling - my setup may not produce this result even if it exists!

My connection HDMI and TV 1080p.

As I thought: taking the TV off auto aspect ratio affects the TV pictures e.i. they don't resize.

raycer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Dual Core Socket AM2 64-bit Processor. ASRock AM2NF6G-VSTA Motherboard. 1024mb Kingston 667 DDR2 Memory. 160gb 7200rpm SATA2 Maxtor Hard Drive. 20 x DVDRW (+/-) Dual Layer Drive. Realtek ALC888 7.1 channel CODEC with H
My Location
Bucks
PaulR said:
Just had another thought. How do you connect your Hummy to the TV? Is it Scart or HDMI?

I use HDMI and, as my TV is 1080P ready, use the pixel for pixel mapping option on the display option of the Hummy. The result of this is that I get slight;y morepicture on the TV as picture overlap is eliminated.

There is a disadvantage in this though. When watching 4:3 programmes, such as American Dad, the autosizing function of TV can't kick in and as a result the stretching sideways makes all the figures fat. On the Freeview box the autosizing also clips a bit off the top so that they are not so obviously distorted.

To sum up my waffling - my setup may not produce this result even if it exists!

My connection HDMI and TV 1080p.

As I thought: taking the TV off auto aspect ratio affects the TV pictures e.i. they don't resize.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Just checked on my setup and, as I said, I have it set up for unscaled, i.e. one-for-one piel mapping, although that is a TV option, not a Humax one.

I suggest you set your TV to this or fixed 16:9 as this is the only way I can think of getting round the proble. I experience the same problem on the Freeview box when watching a widescreen film. The film suddenly stretches to fill in the black bars and I have to set the TV to 16:9 to continue watching properly.

Sometimes the TV is tricked when running through credits at the end of a programme if the print is set against a balck background and the picture jumps all over the place to follow the writing. It's just one of those things if you have auto scaling chosen!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Just checked on my setup and, as I said, I have it set up for unscaled, i.e. one-for-one piel mapping, although that is a TV option, not a Humax one.

I suggest you set your TV to this or fixed 16:9 as this is the only way I can think of getting round the proble. I experience the same problem on the Freeview box when watching a widescreen film. The film suddenly stretches to fill in the black bars and I have to set the TV to 16:9 to continue watching properly.

Sometimes the TV is tricked when running through credits at the end of a programme if the print is set against a balck background and the picture jumps all over the place to follow the writing. It's just one of those things if you have auto scaling chosen!

raycer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
Bucks
PaulR said:

As I said previously, fixing it in 16:9 e.i. taking it off auto affects the TV picture. Anyway, thanks for trying.

raycer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freesat
My Location
Bucks
PaulR said:

As I said previously, fixing it in 16:9 e.i. taking it off auto affects the TV picture. Anyway, thanks for trying.