Aston 201 into 202 will go...

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
With a little time on my hands and two Aston Simbas (one working 201, one dead 202), I decided to see if it was possible to convert the 201 to a 202, which has two card readers and a front panel with LED display.

I had already replaced the non-displaying front panel of the 201 with the 202's, which to my surprise gives all the attributes of the 202 (channel selection, booting up display etc.), so I decided to populate the 201 with all the 'missing' components from the 202, after checking diodes, transistors, and fitting two new IC's. and the extra card reader.

There's a 24C08 eeprom that appears to hold application details relevant to the receiver model (i.e.201 or 202), so I removed them from both receivers and popped them in an old Multimac smartcard to read them through my CAS2 add-on facility.

The 202's eeprom showed it was 'app v106' against the 201's 'app v104', so I placed this in the 201 receiver, and flashed the box with a boot and allcam app. via the RJ45 uploading facility..

Using an SX 6in1 on a funcard, it's working well with TPS etc.in the original card reader, but the second reader, although showing 'card inserted', doesn't read the card.

Using the Aston Diagnostic facility from the Aston-Team site, it now shows 'two card readers' installed, so everything appears to be OK regarding the conversion, except for it not reading the card in the second reader. So there must be something else I have overlooked.

An interesting exercise nevertheless, perhaps pointless, as I only use the original CI slot, but maybe now it can use applications specific to the 202 (if indeed they are).

Llew

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Wow! nice job Llew.

Worth it for the 'just because I can' kudos amongst other things.
Excellent work mate. :)

L.