Astra 1 and Hotbird reception question

glesgaguysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorized dish with Humax HDCI2000 reciever/Dragon cam/cas 3 programmer/Topfield 5800 digital reciever
My Location
Scotland
Hi all
I have just set up my motorized dish my position is in Glasgow Scotland. I seem to be able to tune in the channels from Hotbird and Astra 2 but I cannot seem to pick up any channels from Astra 1.
My kit includes a Humax HDCI2000 and a Disqc 1.2 and Gotox compatible motor 80cm dish and .2 lnb.
Is it normal not to be able to "see" the Astra 1 satellite or do I have to give the humax special instructions to see it
Any help appreciated

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You probably need to set up your motor's reference point for USALS to work properly, how did you set your Due South?

glesgaguysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorized dish with Humax HDCI2000 reciever/Dragon cam/cas 3 programmer/Topfield 5800 digital reciever
My Location
Scotland
Probably a bit "Cack Handed" but I used a compass and aligned the motor and dish with this pointing south I then manualy used a signal meter from the Lnb to the motor and a TV plugged into the Humax (in my line of site) to gauge the Quality of the signal, at the motor I manualy moved the dish to the east and with the Humax set to "hotbird" I watched and listened for the best "Quality and Strength that I could achive, I the scanned for the channels (1209 tv), I then moved the dish at the motor again and set the Humax for Astra 2 (all the same as above) so I can move and recieve Hotbird and Astra 2 but when I try to set the Humax for Astra 1 and move the dish with the remote I cannot find Astra 1.
Bit long winded this but I hope you understand as I am presently up and down the ladder fiddling with it (the Sat dish!!)
Thanks for the input
Tom

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You may find it better to set the motor to zero and then find Atlanticbird 3 at 5W, that is pretty much due South for you. So you set the latitude on your motor, swing the whole lot to roughly due South and then moving the whole assembly on the pole and the dish elevation only try and find 5W. When found, lock up the dish, scan in the 5W channels to check you arer on the right satellite, then you should be able to move to the others.

glesgaguysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Thanks Rolf, I might give that a try, but Ive been up and down so much I am starting to give up, I may have to bite the bullet and pay someone who knows what their doing, now my Humax won't let me search for channels, on the search menu it just says "antenna" and when I click "OK" there's no Sats to choose from it just says "antenna", Oh well, time to search the Humax thread.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
We have certainly got some members based in Glasgow who may be able to give you a hand if you really get into trouble with it. :)

glesgaguysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
That might be the answer Rolf, how do I get in touch

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Don't really know. :) They will probably see this thread though.