Astra 1N - made it to geostationary orbit, now the fun starts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
M60 said:
for uplink providers logistics-wise they won't be able to uplink to, say 2A, B or D and 1N using the same uplink dish
Why not? ...

Pietclock

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
125cm
My Location
SE Germany 50°N/11°E
1N has 52 (!) active transponders ! It can service more than half of all channels available (120 TP from 10.7-12.75GHz). It could take over large numbers of transponder of the existing three satellites of SES at 28E.
My guess is, that 1N will take load from all three plus provide additional capacity using the empty Band C. 2A,2B and 2D are quite old, and certainly need a reduction of active transponders to prolong their life. That's the usual procedure.
The only interesting thing will be, if BSkyB like the FTA channels will be using the 1N spot beam or make use of the pan-European beams.

Also after some calculations, I think the steerable dish will be for Ku Band too. It can produce a spot with a diameter of about 900km and might be intended for Afrika using frequency re-use. That would explain the high number of 52 TPs.

M60

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fixed 28.2E Triax TD64, Freesat PVR + Panasonic Freesat TV's
My Location
Northern England
Huevos said:
Why not? ...

I'm under the impression that one antenna can only uplink to one specific satellite, i.e. you couldn't use one to uplink concurrently to 2D and 1N as the two craft drift slightly and thus the Earth Station antenna needs constantly to track the specific satellite. I might be wrong here and so happy to be corrected.

Pietclock said:
1N has 52 (!) active transponders ! It can service more than half of all channels available (120 TP from 10.7-12.75GHz). It could take over large numbers of transponder of the existing three satellites of SES at 28E.
My guess is, that 1N will take load from all three plus provide additional capacity using the empty Band C. 2A,2B and 2D are quite old, and certainly need a reduction of active transponders to prolong their life. That's the usual procedure.
The only interesting thing will be, if BSkyB like the FTA channels will be using the 1N spot beam or make use of the pan-European beams.

Also after some calculations, I think the steerable dish will be for Ku Band too. It can produce a spot with a diameter of about 900km and might be intended for Afrika using frequency re-use. That would explain the high number of 52 TPs.

You might be right and we'll just have to see what transpires. I suppose it depends on whether the existing widebeam transponders for the likes of C5, ITV are swapped over to 1N using the same frequencies or if these are then discontinued and moved to the unused 'C' spectrum when migrating to 1N. Either way, once 1N's in service I suspect we'll see some major reshuffling after what has been a pretty quiet few Months at 28.2E.

dvdfilm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.5m dish
My Location
spain
Pietclock said:
Yes i agree.I think Sky will use the pan-european beams in the same way as the current Astra 2A-2B

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
M60 said:
I'm under the impression that one antenna can only uplink to one specific satellite, i.e. you couldn't use one to uplink concurrently to 2D and 1N as the two craft drift slightly and thus the Earth Station antenna needs constantly to track the specific satellite. I might be wrong here and so happy to be corrected.

I think you are right - they use BIG uplink antennas so the beamwidth will be very small. I also know that SES will be upgrading the facilities at Betzdorf in the not too distant future to add more uplink dishes. (Its on their FB page somewhere about a month back - I asked a question about the number of dishes at Betzdorf)

M60

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Northern England
Analoguesat said:
I think you are right - they use BIG uplink antennas so the beamwidth will be very small. I also know that SES will be upgrading the facilities at Betzdorf in the not too distant future to add more uplink dishes. (Its on their FB page somewhere about a month back - I asked a question about the number of dishes at Betzdorf)

That's my thinking, the one at BBC TVC is massive as I've been there and seen it. They must have the reserve at a DR location somewhere else? I'd say the beamwidth on a dish it's size must be less than 0.5 degrees, funny to spot people in houses just behind the complex with Minidishes on their walls. What they watch on BBC services has travelled literally 22500miles in to space and then back down again when in reality it's origin is only 150mtrs away!

Pietclock

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
125cm
My Location
SE Germany 50°N/11°E
Uplink antennas have a diameter from 4.8 to 9m. Since the RX reflectors on the satellites are usually much smaller than the TX ones, the signal sent up must be stronger than the one broadcast down by satellites.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
M60 said:
I'd say the beamwidth on a dish it's size must be less than 0.5 degrees,
How big is the dish? The 3dB point on a 5m dish is 0.15º off centre at 14GHz, which must be somewhere near the uplink frequency for 10.7GHz downlink.

Pietclock said:
Uplink antennas have a diameter from 4.8 to 9m. Since the RX reflectors on the satellites are usually much smaller than the TX ones, the signal sent up must be stronger than the one broadcast down by satellites.
That's not the reason they are so big. News feed trucks have much smaller aerials than that, sometimes as small as 1 meter. The reason for the big uplink aerials is so as not to interfere with adjacent satellites.

To me it doesn't make any sense to make the beamwidth so narrow that you would need multiple uplink dishes for satellites that are located in the same slot. Maybe it is true but if it were it is just a complete waste of resources (and licence payers money).

dvdfilm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.5m dish
My Location
spain
Which TPs are being tested today?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Huevos said:
To me it doesn't make any sense to make the beamwidth so narrow that you would need multiple uplink dishes for satellites that are located in the same slot. Maybe it is true but if it were it is just a complete waste of resources (and licence payers money).

Thats what they do though - remember the birds are actually dozens if not hundreds of miles apart in space. Also remember the birds are moving around slightly so the dishes have to track them

And has the bonus that if a transmission uplink system goes down you only take a third of the channels off air

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
dvdfilm said:
Which TPs are being tested today?

Yes, some activity on or about 11710H.

strs65

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Decoders: VU+ Uno, DR.HD F15
DVB cards: TBS6983, TBS 6925
Dish 1: Tecatel 1.10m
LNB1: Smart Oxid
Motor: Amiko DM3800
Dish 2: Gibertini 125L, with actuator
LNB2: Invacom QDF-031
My Location
Greece (Crete - Chania)
Yep, nice signal today...

11708.jpg

M60

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Northern England
Huevos said:
How big is the dish? The 3dB point on a 5m dish is 0.15º off centre at 14GHz, which must be somewhere near the uplink frequency for 10.7GHz downlink.

That's not the reason they are so big. News feed trucks have much smaller aerials than that, sometimes as small as 1 meter. The reason for the big uplink aerials is so as not to interfere with adjacent satellites.

I'd say the dish at TVC is about 8mtrs across, certainly a big beast! 0.15º is certainly very tight indeed, I had an idea it would be something like that. Also, they have tremendous gain at those sorts of sizes, gain in order of 70-80dBi I've been quoted.

Looks like they are testing on one of the pan-European beams again today, wonder how more testing they'll be doing before she heads off East?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Analoguesat said:
Thats what they do though [...] the birds are moving around slightly so the dishes have to track them
Still doesn't make sense. Apart from reduce interference to adjacent slots why use a huge expensive dish and track a satellite when you could use a smaller and cheaper one that doesn't need to track. The smaller cheaper dish could still be on a one dish per satellite basis for redundancy purposes.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Makes perfect sense to me :D

If you want to know more why dont you email the technical guys at SES :)

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Found my first confirmed service Conto TV ...on Astra 1N

see TBS card thread for details

rgds
VS

...channel found in error ...see below..
(insert red face here)

Attachments

• vlcsnap-930806.png
    vlcsnap-930806.png
    381.9 KB · Views: 49

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ah just what the UK needs - an Italian mature content channel :-lmao

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Appologies to anyone reading the thread ..
A suspect switch or possibly lost control of the switch caused bleed through from a second dish ..allowing phantom channels to appear ..
The Hunt continues however..
rgds
VS

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Look out for the Luxembourg mux. (Chamber TV / RTL Lux). Thas what they normally use.

dvdfilm

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.5m dish
My Location
spain
strs65 said:
Yep, nice signal today...

View attachment 37182
As expected the pan-European beam goes well over the official footprint map,it seems you're getting a strong signal in Greece

Status
Not open for further replies.