Astra 23.5 reception

dannan

Member
My Satellite Setup
TECHNOMATE1500
My Location
COULSDON
I can recieve the slovak channels fine during the day but around 6pm they start to break up and finally end up with the scrambled channel signal. The German and Dutch channels are good all the time. Does anyone know why this happens?
 
They're on Astra 3A, which has a different, weaker footprint into the UK compared to 1D.
Llew
 
But why would it be so good during the day and not only that, before I had the motorised dish I had the dish pointed permanently on Astra 3 and had no problem at all. Seems the motor is the issue.
 
Adding a motor will attenuate the signal slightly.
 
For starters the Dutch channels are on Astra 1D which puts out such a strong signal you could probably pick it up on a metal dustbin lid!

Shes incredibly strong - a real powerhouse.
 
Is the colour of the sky something a dish takes into consideration when deciding to shoot up a bit of JOJ then. Come on lads... Why the 6pm fallout?
 
There are many factors and I can't remember seeing a definitive answer from the several threads discussing it I'm afraid, simply that it happens. :)
 
Could be several reasons - if the solar illumination of the bird solar sails drops to a critical level then it will switch over to batteries. These may be unable to provide quite the oomph the solar sails give. Totally unnoticed in Germany, but a tiny power drop may be enough to tip you over the digital cliff as you are right on the fringe.

Or it may be at that point the bird moves into an unfavorable position for the UK. Every sat moves around in a figure 8 a few miles across every day so the transmission footprint will move around very slightly.
 
Back
Top