ASTRA 2D BBC & ITV RECEPTION

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Thought you might have had a problem Bru, so did it for you. :)

You may need to go into your browser settings and request that it always looks for a new version of the page.

tsilva

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
A local installer recently gave me a demo using a 1.8m dish (NW Iberia) - which seemed to pick up the FTA 2d channels ok. However, he told me that the signal strength wouldn't be as good through a sky digibox. Is that true?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The signal strength will not change, but some receivers ability to use it may vary, some have a far more sensitive and selective tuner than others, so he could be right if he was testing on a very good quality receiver.

tsilva

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I don't think he was talking about the actual receiver. Anyway, he got bbc parliament no problem - can I therefore conclude that 2d is getting through to the area ok? Are all the bbc channels now all there and nowhere else? thanks

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry Tsilva, if he wasn't referring to the receiver, I can't see what else he would be talking about?

Aside from that though, reception of one channel on one transponder does not guarantee reception on another, there are big differences between vertical and horizontally polarised transponders in some of the fringe areas.

It may well be worth waiting for the changes to become permanent and settled before making any installation arrangements.

tsilva

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I think so too. I basically want bbc1 thru channel 5. I've got a 1.50m dish in storage but the bloke recommended a 1.80m. Do you have a gut feeling about the chances in the north of Portugal?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Not really Tsilva, that's more Zansi's territory, you can look at footprint charts until you go blue in the face, but a practical recommendation from someone with a setup in the area is unbeatable.

zansi

Moderator & General Globetrotter
Reaction score
Website
digiboxes.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Openbox F3 85cm dish H to H motor, Dell Vostro Laptop
My Location
North West UK
2D is fine in the Algarve on a 1.3m .6db LNB, all BBC's & ITV are OK. This information has been verified yesterday.

I see no reason it would be worse in Northern Portugal!

Corrigapp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CM 1.8 dish, Foxsat-HDR, Inverto LNB
My Location
South Sweden
Anyway, he got bbc parliament no problem - can I therefore conclude that 2d is getting through to the area ok?

Sorry, you can't. 'BBC Parliament' is transmitted from 2A South on 12129 V.

campax

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
another simple question (i live in rome, i'm italian and i have to say adieu to bbc radios...). Is it possible to receive ClassicFM in Rome with a not-so-large dish? Or have I to start to study german?

danilo

:(

Steady

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I, like many have lost all my BBC channels since the move to 2D. I'm in London by the way.

Yet, I still pull in the BBC 2 channels for Wales and Scotland up on ch 960 on the epg.

Even stranger for me - how come I get BBC 1 London on 10847V, 22, 5/6 ? But get no BBC channels (no matter what i try) on the EPG ?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
It seems to be only the one low power transponder giving the problems, you can either try a small tweak of your LNB skew, or sit back and wait for a few days, it may well resolve itself.

eugenbeer

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
New to this and would appreciate ANY advice that can be passed on to many ex pats in the Orvieto area.

Is/will it be possible to get Astra 2D (and thus BBC - less worried about ITV) signal in Umbria Italy?

Thanks in anticipation

eugen

pjij

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Modena, Italy
Originally posted by Bru4213
Well Here in the hills near modena I have been getting the BBC2 regional stuff on the 960's number which I believe are on the 10803H frequency and these seem to have the same evening fade pattern as my ITV on the 10832H and 10891H with my 1m dish. Still 'no signal on the main BBC's on 10773H though! My installer is coming tommorow afternoon with a 1.2m dish and we will mess around with the LNB skew which I beleive should be -17° for my location. I will let you know how I get on

Bru

Am looking forward to hearing how it goes. Am below you near the centro in Modena. Hopefully 1.2 will be enough. I get all 2D stuff for about 2 hours a day at the minute with an 80cm dish. Could not find an installer that knew anything about Sky, then again I was only in the country a few weeks at that stage. Did you get my email by the way?

Paul

eugenbeer

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Quite lucky in Orvieto - Antennistas seem to know their stuff.

Didn't get an email.

Whe you say you get 2D stuff for two hours a day - is that because of climactic influences, geography or what?
And which two hours?

What BBC's do you get on 2D is it all the radio as well?

eugen

pjij

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Modena, Italy
Originally posted by eugenbeer

Didn't get an email.

Thats cause I emailed Bru4213, not you ;-)

Whe you say you get 2D stuff for two hours a day - is that because of climactic influences, geography or what?
And which two hours?

What BBC's do you get on 2D is it all the radio as well?

eugen

I get all 2D from about noon to 2. RTE, BBC, ITV and all radio. I am guessing its to do with the atmospheric conditions. Its been this time for a few weeks now. It used to be at 11pm for about 30mins but is better now. Its perfect for those two hours....just like I was back in Ireland, except it warmer here!

Oh, I've got a Panasonic 30 digibox and a 0.7LNB

Paul

ardri66

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Italia
Hi pjij,
Ardri66 here, I am living in Verona and I sense that you are an Irishman or at least lived there for some time, well I'm from Leitrim way myself and I was wondering if you could let me know what system you are using e.g digibox, lnb dish size etc. Currently I'm using an eighty cm dish and a panasonic 31 digibox. LNB, haven't a clue but I never got ITV or Hallmark. I have a family sky subscription and I am really missing the BBC and all the good channels therein! Any help would be more than appreciated.
Thanks,
ardri66;)

Bru4213

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Sorry guys, my man has gone off to get another pole..... My wife phoned to say that the new dish looked enourmous on the roof of our rustic farmhouse (the old 1m was grey and the new one is white), but hey it'll look ok while i'm inside watching telly ;-) I now have to wait two weeks for an update as I'm away. You are doing weel to get 2D with an 80cm Paul 'cos I used to get a 'no signal' on my old setup. Bru

pjij

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Modena, Italy
Originally posted by ardri66
Hi pjij,
Ardri66 here, I am living in Verona and I sense that you are an Irishman or at least lived there for some time, well I'm from Leitrim way myself and I was wondering if you could let me know what system you are using e.g digibox, lnb dish size etc. Currently I'm using an eighty cm dish and a panasonic 31 digibox. LNB, haven't a clue but I never got ITV or Hallmark. I have a family sky subscription and I am really missing the BBC and all the good channels therein! Any help would be more than appreciated.
Thanks,
ardri66;)

Just PM'ed you. Give me a call if you want.

Paul