DM 800HD
My Location
Glasgow, Scotland
UKRAINE

Kiev

1.8M solid prime focus dish
Not sure of LNB
Panasonic DSB30

Full Sky package all Astra 2A channels loud and clear (Perfect picture despite only 40% signal strength)

NO ASTRA 2D SIGNAL

expat2

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
now and then in Italy
during the last two weeks there very few mail about Astra2d, it looks like that everybody gave it up to see BBC on 2d, what a pity
J

DKBrit

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Copenhagen
More likely everybody's on holiday, enjoying the summer. I've noticed the same on some of the other sat forums the past week or so.

DKBrit

Rabbit

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS x5
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
System1..
Channel Master 1.8m with CM Feedhorn AZ/EL Mount. MTI AP82-TW 0.6dB LNB. Thomson Sky HD Decoder
System2..
Internet TV... Sweden's Telia Broadband service.
My Location
Hässleholm,South Sweden
sgar said:
Ok guys i need a bit of an help here. Ok south Sweden (Helsinborg), minidish and altrough the bbc signal its only about 40%,the signal from C4,C5 is about 70% but of course i don't get any Itv signal. i am thinking of buying a bigger dish (80-100cm). if anyone could please let me know if that would be enough, otherwise i might as well live the minidish there. thanks

Hi there. I am in a similar situation as you. I am a englishman, living in Hässleholm, only 90km east of Helsingborg. I have a 1.4m dish and I cant receive anything from Astra 2D. I will be investing shortly in a 2m or 2.4m IRTE dish, and thinkink of buying a 0.3db LNB. So a 80+100cm dish will not be enough. If you have any further info on the subject, please let me know. cheers.

Rabbit

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS x5
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
System1..
Channel Master 1.8m with CM Feedhorn AZ/EL Mount. MTI AP82-TW 0.6dB LNB. Thomson Sky HD Decoder
System2..
My Location
Hässleholm,South Sweden
corrigap said:
Could you give me a quote in USD for a 1.8m and a 2.4m offset shipped to Sweden please.

I live north of you in Hässleholm. I am about to purchase a 2 or 2.4 m IRTE dish from the UK to solve this 2d beam problem. I have a 1.4 offset dish at the moment and I cant receive anything on 2d. Have you purchased something, and do yo receive all channels on the 2D beam ok? cheers.

sgar

Reaction score
My Location
Sweden
Rabbit said:
I have a 1.4m dish and I cant receive anything from Astra 2D. I will be investing shortly in a 2m or 2.4m IRTE dish

Hi there, i dont suppose you would want to sell me your dish , do you?
Let me know.

Cheers

Rabbit

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS x5
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
System1..
System2..
My Location
Hässleholm,South Sweden
sgar said:
Hi there, i dont suppose you would want to sell me your dish , do you?
Let me know.

Cheers

Yes of course...as soon as I decide and get a 2-2.5 metre dish to get the 2d beam. I am posting something new shortly, so hopefully I will get a good response, explaining and justifying that a 2m dish is good enough in the south of sweden. Give me your mobile no and I will be in touch. Cheers....

ps...you will receive all channels except for the 2d beam ones...this ok?

saint

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
gothenburg
1,5-2m dishes ! where do you guys put those things ?

living in a built up area (gothenburg) i am really intriged to know .
are you friends with your heighbours ?
????

Corrigapp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CM 1.8 dish, Foxsat-HDR, Inverto LNB
My Location
South Sweden
@ rabbit

Rabbit said:
I live north of you in Hässleholm. I am about to purchase a 2 or 2.4 m IRTE dish from the UK to solve this 2d beam problem. I have a 1.4 offset dish at the moment and I cant receive anything on 2d. Have you purchased something, and do yo receive all channels on the 2D beam ok? cheers.

When I looked into the IRTE dishes, I wasn't terribly impressed with the gain (they're prime focus IIRC and one is fully petallized). I then contacted Sat Superstore (I think they're called) in Newcastle to find out the cost of shipping a 1.8m Channel Master to Sweden, which turned out to be horrendous. So I've gone for a 1.8 CM ordered and installed through a Swedish installer. The CMs are excellent dishes and the gain of the 1.8 is almost as much as a 2.4 IRTE (45.5 db against 46.0 d:cool:.

Rabbit said:
So a 80+100cm dish will not be enough.
Do you mean 1.8m or 80-100 cm? If it's the former, do you know this for a fact?

Also I'm a bit surprised that you get nothing at all with a 1.4m dish. There should at least be some activity on the horizontal transponders at around 0800 and 1730. Are you using a digibox?

BTW, if you're in the market for a new LNB, you should be thinking about one that performs well in the low band rather than one that 'just' quotes a good all-round noise figure of 0.3 dB.

Corrigap

valb

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Europe
I'm glad to hear that some of you are still optimistic as regards 2D. At the moment I'm really p****d off with BBc, ITV and SES. I had a genesis 0,4-5 on my old prime focus 1.5m dish and could see ITV1 during prime time unless the weather was bad. I then ordered an MTI from ******* and got delivered an Invercom 0,3, which was OK when I installed it. Great pictures from BBC and ITV most of the time on both my Digibox and my Force FTA receivers. After about a week things started going downhill. BBC 1 NC or CB only from about 4pm until very late at night. The same with the other BBC channels and ITV1 - 4pm until about 9pm, so I can't even see F1 anymore on sundays. Has anyone the impression that 2D has moved a little or something? All these theories that V channels are easier to get than H channels doesn't even make sense as I can see that certain H channels are just as strong as V channels. Fuzz, Amp and the other Sky music channel seem to be the last to vanish. Does this mean that Sky got a better transponder from SES than BBC & ITV?
By the way I'm just north of Copenhagen.

Rabbit

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS x5
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
System1..
System2..
My Location
Hässleholm,South Sweden
corrigap said:
@ rabbit

When I looked into the IRTE dishes, I wasn't terribly impressed with the gain (they're prime focus IIRC and one is fully petallized). I then contacted Sat Superstore (I think they're called) in Newcastle to find out the cost of shipping a 1.8m Channel Master to Sweden, which turned out to be horrendous. So I've gone for a 1.8 CM ordered and installed through a Swedish installer. The CMs are excellent dishes and the gain of the 1.8 is almost as much as a 2.4 IRTE (45.5 db against 46.0 d:cool:.

Do you mean 1.8m or 80-100 cm? If it's the former, do you know this for a fact?

Also I'm a bit surprised that you get nothing at all with a 1.4m dish. There should at least be some activity on the horizontal transponders at around 0800 and 1730. Are you using a digibox?

BTW, if you're in the market for a new LNB, you should be thinking about one that performs well in the low band rather than one that 'just' quotes a good all-round noise figure of 0.3 dB.

Corrigap

@Corrigap

Thanks for the prompt reply...Where in Sweden did you purchase the channel master 1.8m dish, and what was the price? (its a nightmare finding companies who sell these items here!?). Do you receive all on 2d beam clearly for 24hours using this size? Which LNB do you use.?By the way, you are the first person I have come accross experiencing the similar problems as I, within our area.
By the way, I used to get ITV during the morning, briefly for a while using the 1.4. I only wished to view during the evening, so never checked afterwards.
Thanks for your help...regards, another ex-pat in Sweden.

Rabbit

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS x5
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
System1..
System2..
My Location
Hässleholm,South Sweden
saint said:
1,5-2m dishes ! where do you guys put those things ?

living in a built up area (gothenburg) i am really intriged to know .
are you friends with your heighbours ?
????

Hello SAINT in Gothenburg. I used to live in a built up area called London for 25 years. I moved to Hässleholm to get space, peace and quiet (and the house prices are cheap). As a result, I have loads of space, and no annoying neighbours....I recommend you do the same...CHEERS..

Corrigapp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Sweden
@valb

Understand you're hacked off ... we all get like that at times! Astra 2d is 'a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma' (Churchill).

valb said:
All these theories that V channels are easier to get than H channels doesn't even make sense as I can see that certain H channels are just as strong as V channels.

I wish that was the case here in Lund, for me it's the exact opposite. I get nothing at all on any V transponders. BTW, the only theories that I've ever seen about differences between V and H have said that the V transponders are 3dB weaker than the H ones. Everyone I've been in contact with in Sweden has said that the V are more problematic. I know you're in DK, but in terms of physical distance it's only about 60 km. This is all very odd in my opinion. IIRC, Expat received V transponders for a while without getting any H. Maybe it's to do with these 'nulls' we keep hearing about?

It's also odd that you were ok for a week, when did things change? The only 'change' I've noticed over the past few weeks is that 2D's power levels seem very variable, and I'm not talking about the 24-hour power cycle itself. We've noticed that Fridays (!!?) are slightly better, in comparable weather conditions, than other days and we can watch Corrie up to the end without any blocking or chirping.

BTW, I've watched the F1 on a number of occasions without problems. You do know that the ITV1 regions are available on H as well as V transponders don't you?

@rabbit

rabbit said:
Where in Sweden did you purchase the channel master 1.8m dish, and what was the price? (its a nightmare finding companies who sell these items here!?). Do you receive all on 2d beam clearly for 24hours using this size? Which LNB do you use.?

I'm still awaiting installation of the CM dish, next week some time, so no results to post as yet. I've been quoted a price of SEK19600 for full installation. The dish itself is very expensive (14500). At present I get all H transponders between approx 23.00 and approx 20.30 in fine weather, reduced in bad weather and drasticaslly reduced or no signal at all in very wet weather. My LNB is an MTI AP8-TW (0.6) which gave me extended coverage of about one hour on 10832 H (ITV1 London). I'll have to check with the installer before I give his name out.

Corrigap

O

Old Fred

The "Friday effect" isn't as daft as it seems. The Astra satellites are kept within a one kilometre cube of space. They drift around continually but are kept within the kilometre volume by small jets. To conserve fuel, these jets are operated as little as possible. So you can have circumstances where a satellite will be allowed to drift almost to the boundary of the imaginary cube before it is fired off to drift in the opposite direction.

The effect is bound to be more noticeable with a satellite whose beam is very narrow - especially when you are located on the margin of the footprint.

Fred

valb

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Europe
@corrigap
Yes I used to swith to ITV1 London when my default ITV transponder started to fail and this used to be OK for F1. Now they are both dead until about 4-5pm.
Last evening I even tried putting the old Genesis lnb in place again. It was marginally better in as much as there were coloured suares on the screen, as opposed to the Invacom that gave a blank screen, but I've now put the Invacom dual output back again. This means I can watch BBC fta from 5-9pm whilst my daughter watches MTV!
2D has a life of about 12 years - a long time to wait for a replacement, but I guess that by then someone will have invented a footpring that fits the target country exactly!!! Talk about going back in time. Targetted output was used on satellites back in the eighties.

sgar

Reaction score
My Location
Sweden
Rabbit said:
Yes of course...as soon as I decide and get a 2-2.5 metre dish to get the 2d beam. I am posting something new shortly, so hopefully I will get a good response, explaining and justifying that a 2m dish is good enough in the south of sweden. Give me your mobile no and I will be in touch. Cheers....

ps...you will receive all channels except for the 2d beam ones...this ok?

Hej m8, check your PM.

Cheers

Rabbit

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS x5
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
System1..
System2..
My Location
Hässleholm,South Sweden
corrigap said:
I'm still awaiting installation of the CM dish, next week some time, so no results to post as yet. I've been quoted a price of SEK19600 for full installation. The dish itself is very expensive (14500). At present I get all H transponders between approx 23.00 and approx 20.30 in fine weather, reduced in bad weather and drasticaslly reduced or no signal at all in very wet weather. My LNB is an MTI AP8-TW (0.6) which gave me extended coverage of about one hour on 10832 H (ITV1 London). I'll have to check with the installer before I give his name out.

Corrigap

Thanks for the valuable info...the dish sounds expensive, but when you add on the exchange rate (£ to SEK) and the shipping costs, this sounds reasonable. Sorry, but which size dish do you currently use, and what gain does it have? Please post the results of the installation...I am intrigued to know. Thanks again...Rabbit!

Corrigapp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Sweden
Rabbit said:
Sorry, but which size dish do you currently use, and what gain does it have? Please post the results of the installation...I am intrigued to know. Thanks again...Rabbit!

Panasonic TUDSB30
Gibertini 1.5 dish (OP150) with Gibertini feedhorn
MTI AP82-TW (0.6d:cool: CT120 flanged LNB
14 m cable run (CT100)

ITV1, plus all the other H transponders, from approx 23.00 to 20.30 (CET +1) with a very good, stable picture (quality 90%, strength 70%). But between 20.30 and 23.30, the picture is either unwatchable or absent, depending on the weather conditions.

(taken from http://www.astra2d.co.uk/reports.htm)

expat2

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
now and then in Italy
This is the reply from ITV, let's keep writing to ITV to take over the trasponders left free from BBC,
at leats for us expats
G

Dear JG,

Thanks for your email and your suggestion regarding our aquisition of the
free transponders.

We will gladly log and highlight your suggestion to our controllers.

Kind regards,

Rabbit

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS x5
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
System1..
System2..
My Location
Hässleholm,South Sweden
corrigap said:
Panasonic TUDSB30
Gibertini 1.5 dish (OP150) with Gibertini feedhorn
MTI AP82-TW (0.6d:cool: CT120 flanged LNB
14 m cable run (CT100)

ITV1, plus all the other H transponders, from approx 23.00 to 20.30 (CET +1) with a very good, stable picture (quality 90%, strength 70%). But between 20.30 and 23.30, the picture is either unwatchable or absent, depending on the weather conditions.

(taken from http://www.astra2d.co.uk/reports.htm)

Hi, I was wondering if you have had your 1.8m Channel Master installed yet, and what are the results? Can you finally recieve 2D ok, including H transponders, in evenings? As I live very close to you, this would be extremely valuable information. Thanks.