Astra 2E: General Discussion (Post-Testing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Channels back after a reboot, apparently. Perhaps there was some change of PID overnight.
Both my Sky boxes were on 998 this morning. I think something has happened overnight.
 
Both my Sky boxes were on 998 this morning. I think something has happened overnight.

Maybe you had a power cut... mine was still on ITV, I've just been blasted with a screaming match courtesy of Kyle & fans. 2 seconds was more than enough :-nutkick
 
What I can see down here in Malta is that the BBC HD Channel has increased its signal strength by 1.5db which practically makes it clear (weather permitting) almost all day with a well adjusted 1.2 Dish.
 
Which BBC HD channel? All BBC channels are being transmitted on the 1N or the 2F.
 
O/T (Isn't everything?): And there are more to come with BBC 3 HD, BBC 4 HD, CBeebies HD, CBBC HD and BBC New HD sporadically testing.
 
What I can see down here in Malta is that the BBC HD Channel has increased its signal strength by 1.5db which practically makes it clear (weather permitting) almost all day with a well adjusted 1.2 Dish.
BBC Scotland/Wales HD have been up 20 to 30% since the middle of october at my location.
 
the development since end of july:

 
Those who can remember monitoring Astra 2D will recall that signal strength increased in the autumn, reaching its peak in late November and December, when it was at its best for the year. In the fringe area where I was located, (Madrid) May to September was always weakest. Signals decreased from the end of January until equinox, stabilised, then weakened again. Overlaid on this was regular station keeping, every six weeks or so. All the indications from reception reports are that Astra 2F has followed the same pattern. Only in marginal areas does anyone notice. Chances are that 2E will be the same. Exactly why, who knows?
 
What I can see down here in Malta is that the BBC HD Channel has increased its signal strength by 1.5db which practically makes it clear (weather permitting) almost all day with a well adjusted 1.2 Dish.
yes and here first time i see this on uk beam with 1.80m offset.
2.7db on 11023 H
 

Attachments

  • 28.2E.webp
    28.2E.webp
    37.2 KB · Views: 79
Those who can remember monitoring Astra 2D will recall that signal strength increased in the autumn, reaching its peak in late November and December, when it was at its best for the year. In the fringe area where I was located, (Madrid) May to September was always weakest. Signals decreased from the end of January until equinox, stabilised, then weakened again. Overlaid on this was regular station keeping, every six weeks or so. All the indications from reception reports are that Astra 2F has followed the same pattern. Only in marginal areas does anyone notice. Chances are that 2E will be the same. Exactly why, who knows?

Wondered why I was getting a good signal in torrential rain! Fortunately, this is the time of year when it remains the most here in Valencia. What about areas North of the footprint - does the reverse happen?
 
That is 3 months worth of station keeping fuel to save a few days. What would be the point?
At 0.59W/day it would take 25 days, I only mentioned that as 2F was raised to move it at that speed. I'd have thought this is taken in to account when the craft is fuelled for part of it's early life testing and manoeuvring etc.
 
Which BBC HD channel? All BBC channels are being transmitted on the 1N or the 2F.
It's on 1N - Freq 10847 V 23000 2/3 8PSK. But it seems I have spoken too early, because since about an hour ago the signal diminished. True that at the moment its heavily overcast here, but it wasn't exactly clear in the morning when I first noticed an increase in signal. Pity cause I like that channel.
 
Those who can remember monitoring Astra 2D will recall that signal strength increased in the autumn, reaching its peak in late November and December, when it was at its best for the year. In the fringe area where I was located, (Madrid) May to September was always weakest. Signals decreased from the end of January until equinox, stabilised, then weakened again. Overlaid on this was regular station keeping, every six weeks or so. All the indications from reception reports are that Astra 2F has followed the same pattern. Only in marginal areas does anyone notice. Chances are that 2E will be the same. Exactly why, who knows?

Yes, and so far that is what I have experienced with 2F (reception very similar to how it was with 2D). So if 2e does follow along those lines then I will be content with what I will be able to get.

Edit - with horiz being better for reception than vert.
 
Last edited:
Certainly nothing we know of!
 
Sometimes the tracking calculation is based on projected movement over the last week not actual movement,
I would not be surprised to see Astra 2E at approx 36 east (moving 0.80° W/day) by next Wednesday.
 
Wondered why I was getting a good signal in torrential rain! Fortunately, this is the time of year when it remains the most here in Valencia. What about areas North of the footprint - does the reverse happen?
North of the footprint its the same story. Going up in the moment, gradually since may and now quite steep since october. In the moment it seems to level out.

I think it might have something to do with climatic conditions. If there is cloud cover - quite high - or a proper haze it seems to work better than in bright sunshine - and no, its not the lnb wandering.
 
Sometimes the tracking calculation is based on projected movement over the last week not actual movement,
I would not be surprised to see Astra 2E at approx 36 east (moving 0.80° W/day) by next Wednesday.
We'll certainly know before then with waveguide's updates (clear skies permitting)!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top