Astra 2E: Iberia & Balearics Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Is it possible to tell from your figures whether that's an actual power reduction or signal loss between the sats and the earth?

Camping

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.30 Famaval and 1.80 Channel Master and 80cm community dishes
My Location
Los Gallardos near Vera, Almeria, Spain
About 3db I understand

terryashbyash

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skybox F3 for fta/28.2E
inverto black ultra lnb
1m offset
My Location
Gandia, Spain
Just noticed signal breaking up on everything, quite windy so I thought I would check the state of the mount in ( what passes for in modern spanish houses ) the wall. All OK but cable tie to lnb arm broke and flapping about, LNB F connector almost completely unscrewed, fixed just in time for chelsea flower. Panic over and happy wife.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Is it possible to tell from your figures whether that's an actual power reduction or signal loss between the sats and the earth?
How could I tell? Both satellites down in power by very similar amounts, possibly indicating a transmission path event. Or maybe due to a different illumination angle of the solar panels. Or the third possibility is a conspiracy.

About 3db I understand
Nothing like that. Down about 0.4dB SNR currently, but a lot of badly set up dishes in the south Costa Blanca don't have even that small amount in reserve.

altman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.8m PF 28.2E, 61cm 19.2E+13E, 34cm 5W, 1.25m PF motorized
mirage 1704HD, DM500S, skystar USB, Sathunter sh200
My Location
Portalegre, Portugal
and he has a multiswitch system, I think measurements only matter on the LNB outputs, 3db drop on a multiswitch might be caused by someone plugging a damaged receiver on another output.

Camping, on one of your photos, you showed the old 1.8m still installed, it could be used as a comparison, to acess health on the main dish, if performance goes down in both, its not a problem with installation, if only one goes down, its a fault somewhere in the affected system

Camping

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.30 Famaval and 1.80 Channel Master and 80cm community dishes
My Location
Los Gallardos near Vera, Almeria, Spain
Yes good idea. We use the 1.8 on one set of channels and the 2.3 on another. Must admit I didn't know anyone watched ITV 2, 3 and 4 but we get a lot of complaints when they go off!

A

Archive4

LNB F connector almost completely unscrewed.

Terry, no amount of wind should be able to cause that. I but most of my F type connectors from my main supplier which are correct for their cable, however, I do buy some other connectors from local ferreterias and even chino bazar shops so I have slightly different sizes. You might wish to try this and get a very tight fit that no wind will unscrew.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Terry, no amount of wind should be able to cause that. I but most of my F type connectors from my main supplier which are correct for their cable, however, I do buy some other connectors from local ferreterias and even chino bazar shops so I have slightly different sizes. You might wish to try this and get a very tight fit that no wind will unscrew.
To be fair if you used proper self amalgamating tape and sealed the f connector it wouldn't unwind itself either. I know you guys don't get much rain in Spain but even so it's good to keep the moisture out when it does rain. It does surprise me the number of LNBs that are left exposed in warmer countries...

A

Archive4

To be fair if you used proper self amalgamating tape and sealed the f connector it wouldn't unwind itself either. I know you guys don't get much rain in Spain but even so it's good to keep the moisture out when it does rain. It does surprise me the number of LNBs that are left exposed in warmer countries...

Timo, I agree with you 100% on joints in cable, but to connect to the LNB sat is a pain in the A***, especially when most LNB´s have drop weather covers, or the old type rubber cover to keep the wet out. I do use sat on all external joints, once I managed to find it in a chandlers shop, but can now get it from local ironmongers

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
proper self amalgamating tape [...] you guys don't get much rain in Spain but even so it's good to keep the moisture out when it does rain
Isn't that what the o-ring is for?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I don't think I've ever seen an o-ring on a screw-on type F plug. Theyy only seem to be on the crimp-on type.

terryashbyash

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skybox F3 for fta/28.2E
inverto black ultra lnb
1m offset
My Location
Gandia, Spain
Thanks for the info, will get some F connectors from cpc sent over from the UK and also get some self amalgamating tape from good old leroy merlin( other DIY stores are available) on my next visit.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Here you go Paul,
Code:
http://www.satelliteandaerialsupplies.com/product/?s=quality-f-type-plug-screw-wf100-sac100-ct100-etc
and providing it is normal size RG6 and not the thin crap, these connectors are very difficult to get back off the cable, as they have a locking thread.

I use a lot of these now on indoor installations, no need for a tool and lock onto the cable extremely securely, plus can be nipped up with an 11mm spanner. Good for external use, but would recommend using self amalgamating tape as well, as they have no O Ring.
Code:
http://www.satelliteandaerialsupplies.com/product/?s=cabelcon-metal-self-install-f-type-compression-connector-1mm

Last edited:

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Here you go Paul,
Bugger. Well, at least I was right - I've never seen (until now) a screw-on plug with an o-ring! :-rofl2

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
These aren't bad. Iberosat. About 15€ a bag. And they don't fall apart like some similar priced ones.

connector1.jpg connector2.jpg

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Some weird event here. Dropped power on both satellites (across all transponders) for a few minutes earlier. Not weather related.

last-24-hours-graph.php.png

Pity no one else is keeping records to compare with this. Maybe we should set one of these up at your place Brian.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
And here is the same data superimposed over February 2014 data for comparison purposes.

deviation-from-the-mean.php.png

Status
Not open for further replies.