Astra 2E: Iberia & Balearics Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know of no plans to relieve any of 2F's current (but somewhat light) burden.
 
No BBC channels near Viseu, Portugal with 1.1m dish. Also 1.25m.. no luck.
Maybe with clear skies, really bad weather now.
 
No BBC's here also as expected on my location with my 2,10 dish. That's a shame really after almos 15 years watchin...
 
3.1m dish in Lisbon
No trace of 2E UK Spot Beam except for the transponder contours on a spectrum analyser.
Same as for 2F UK Spot Beam
 
Lost BBC and suspect will lose most of rest of freesat channels when they move to 2E, strangely channel 5 and 4HD and 4/7 OK on 2F UK spotmost of day but not a sniff of the BBC HD channels 11.023 etc . I have added my Justop android box for lost TV/radio channels and all is well, quality ok from 15 feet away so best 50 quid I have spent in a long time.
 
No BBC channels near Viseu, Portugal with 1.1m dish. Also 1.25m.. no luck.
Maybe with clear skies, really bad weather now.

A friend of mine near your location could pull the Fives TP on 2F with 1,10m offset on the beginning of this week. But that was just, just barely and during only a couple of hours. Now he tells me that even with clear skies, Channel 5 is not received with this dish, at any time of day. We can't be sure if it is the weather, the effect of lack of strong carriers on the LNB (different intermodulation distortion combinations now) or if SES has done something to ASTRA 2F stabilization, etc.
 
A friend of mine near your location could pull the Fives TP on 2F with 1,10m offset on the beginning of this week. But that was just, just barely and during only a couple of hours. Now he tells me that even with clear skies, Channel 5 is not received with this dish, at any time of day. We can't be sure if it is the weather, the effect of lack of strong carriers on the LNB (different intermodulation distortion combinations now) or if SES has done something to ASTRA 2F stabilization, etc.

The thing is I was dumb and stupid enough to buy this dish... I didn't know what was happening, what was about to change.
I was like, it works good with a 90cm with good weather (1N/PE beams), so I only need 1.1/1.2m dish for rainy days.:-doh
I should get a much bigger one.. now can't afford it.
 
Wow, Portugal is really hit and miss. Looks like North to Central areas still have hope. But as soon as you get anywhere near Lisbon, everything vanishes even on massive 4m dishes.

I was like, it works good with a 90cm with good weather (1N/PE beams), so I only need 1.1/1.2m dish for rainy days.:-doh
I should get a much bigger one.. now can't afford it.

What dish you have? 1.1m Triax? I guess the next step up is some 1.5 or even a 1.8m dish - looks like it could do the job there.
 
Big full page spread in the Majorca Daily Bulletin today. Those Barcelona/Balearic notches in 2E's & 2F's footprints are a real bitch! According to well respected Majorcan installer Ocean Satellites, around the south of Majorca all BBC channels appear to be working well on a 1.3 metre dish. Signal then drops off rapidly north of Inca with a 1.7 metre dish likely to be required in the north of the island and probably a 1.8 metre in the West of Menorca, increasing to around 2.4 metres in the East (a distance of only 45 kms!!).
Not sure how valid this next bit is but Ocean also state that, in borderline areas, some of the BBC HD regional channels (BBC1 HD Scotland, BBC 1 HD Wales and BBC2 HD England) along with ITV1 HD London, ITV1 HD Granada and Channel 4 HD London, can be received using a basic HD Freesat box without increasing the size of the dish.

Speaking for myself living on the west coast of Menorca, using an Inverto Quad Black Ultra on my 102cms x 130 cms dish, I can confirm the loss of all BBC channels but ITV and Channel 4 SD/HD available night and day. Channel 5 SD becomes watchable around mid-morning, pixelates badly around 8pm and comes good again around 9:30pm. I don't know what happens after midnight as I'm usually tucked up in bed by then!! As expected, all my Sky SD/HD subscription channels are coming through loud and clear.
 
Last edited:
Hi, just to add to the reception reports. Loss of all BBC channels in Pamplona with an 80 cm dish, although still have ITV like everyone else. The wife is a bit down.
Haven't seen any reports from the north (Santander, San Sebastian, etc...); it would be helpful to figure out dish size necessary from now on.
 
I have added my Justop android box for lost TV/radio channels and all is well, quality ok from 15 feet away so best 50 quid I have spent in a long time.

Hi Terry
Can i ask what you use your Justop android box for?, i also have this box..Do you use it for streaming?
 
Last edited:
The thing is I was dumb and stupid enough to buy this dish... I didn't know what was happening, what was about to change.
I was like, it works good with a 90cm with good weather (1N/PE beams), so I only need 1.1/1.2m dish for rainy days.:-doh
I should get a much bigger one.. now can't afford it.
Onde advice: look at those used 1.80m PM dishes that many used to have in the 80's/90's. There's plenty of those in local (PT) online selling sites. I grabbed one for near to nothing :)
 
Lost BBC and suspect will lose most of rest of freesat channels when they move to 2E, strangely channel 5 and 4HD and 4/7 OK on 2F UK spotmost of day but not a sniff of the BBC HD channels 11.023 etc . I have added my Justop android box for lost TV/radio channels and all is well, quality ok from 15 feet away so best 50 quid I have spent in a long time.
Get a bigger dish and sorted. If you have an 85cm (says on your profile) you won't get much and certainly not BBC or ITV when it goes but with a 1.2 for example I would have thought you would be fine - someone nearer can verify but you're not in a black hole like here in the north.
 
Hi All
This may be a dumb question but is 2F staying or will the channels from there be transfering to 2E as well?
No, 2F is staying at 28.2E and will continue to broadcast a number of channels.
 
Phew - Iberia now up to date to here. Im now cross eyed and badly in need of my curry & a beer! :D

Sincere apologies if Ive missed you, but pm me your reception details & I'll get you added to the map. I wont be at all surprised to find Ive missed somebody....
 
Phew - Iberia now up to date to here. Im now cross eyed and badly in need of my curry & a beer! :D

Sincere apologies if Ive missed you, but pm me your reception details & I'll get you added to the map. I wont be at all surprised to find Ive missed somebody....



And are you now able to suggest a worthwhile Holiday destination?
 
Lost BBC and suspect will lose most of rest of freesat channels when they move to 2E, strangely channel 5 and 4HD and 4/7 OK on 2F UK spotmost of day but not a sniff of the BBC HD channels 11.023 etc . I have added my Justop android box for lost TV/radio channels and all is well, quality ok from 15 feet away so best 50 quid I have spent in a long time.
your dish is on the edge of reception, and only with very fine tuning can they receive the 2e uk beam channels - with little or very small amount of tolerance for rain fade.
(my 90x100cm dish kept them all in over night - the 80cm, as I have reported, loses them around 1am until abut 730am.)
 
Hi, just to add to the reception reports. Loss of all BBC channels in Pamplona with an 80 cm dish, although still have ITV like everyone else. The wife is a bit down.
Haven't seen any reports from the north (Santander, San Sebastian, etc...); it would be helpful to figure out dish size necessary from now on.

I too have seen very few reports for that area - all I know is that may people current dishes are simply too small.
 
Phew - Iberia now up to date to here. Im now cross eyed and badly in need of my curry & a beer! :D

If you want more reception reports from Spain, then I am happy for you to use the ones I have had sent to me (you have had some already)

which are all are detailed here:
http://www.satandpcguy.com/Site/astra_2e_satellite_reception_footprint_uk_tv_spain.php

There are many (many) more received today - but at the moment
a) knackered from answering all the phone calls and replying to all the emails!
b) knackered from work!
c) no idea how to add the new ones to make them look like new reports on that list (may add date reported!)
 
If you want more reception reports from Spain, then I am happy for you to use the ones I have had sent to me (you have had some already)

which are all are detailed here:
http://www.satandpcguy.com/Site/astra_2e_satellite_reception_footprint_uk_tv_spain.php

There are many (many) more received today - but at the moment
a) knackered from answering all the phone calls and replying to all the emails!
b) knackered from work!
c) no idea how to add the new ones to make them look like new reports on that list (may add date reported!)

Thank you - I';ll take you up on that offer to improve the accuracy for our Spanish expat friends.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top