Astra 2E: Iberia & Balearics Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not sure what you mean by a bit untidy
What I mean is once there are more than 3 or 4 lines on a graph it starts to get confusing and not so user friendly. Have a look at this for example and see how easy it is to understand (or not, maybe).

daily-trend-from-switch-on-to-current.webp
 
BBC1 & BBC2 HD signals starting to get too close to the knuckle here. After aligning the dish/lnb, the best I can do is 90% S and 60% Q
switched it on at 7.00 am today to check on any of the ITV had moved, and NO SIGNAL at all showing. Picture of a kind started to appear around 7.40. Clear blue skies, 1.9M dish, C120 0.3 lnb. Dreading the ITV changeover !!!
 
BBC1 & BBC2 HD signals starting to get too close to the knuckle here. After aligning the dish/lnb, the best I can do is 90% S and 60% Q
switched it on at 7.00 am today to check on any of the ITV had moved, and NO SIGNAL at all showing. Picture of a kind started to appear around 7.40. Clear blue skies, 1.9M dish, C120 0.3 lnb. Dreading the ITV changeover !!!

Hi Buckshee
I would have thought you would have been ok with a 1.9 dish
I am receiving bbc1 south in Totana on my small but perfectly formed 1.2/1.3 dish although it is pixelating in the morning and afternoon...At the moment (sunday 11.34am) bbc1 south 10818 is 37% my breakup threashold is 35% so still quite low but a perfect picture, it's stonger in the evening...At the moment i am using bbc1hd wales and scotland from 2F as they are a little bit stronger and get these most of the day..
If you didn't get any itv's this morning i should imagine that the dish needs tweaking a bit as they havent moved yet and are strong here
 
All my BBC SD are ok. Same with the BBC1 HD wales. Just low on the BBC 1 hd & BBC2 HD England
 
1.2/1.3 dish although it is pixelating in the morning and afternoon...At the moment (sunday 11.34am) bbc1 south 10818 is 37% my breakup threashold is 35% so still quite low but a perfect picture, it's stonger in the evening...At the moment i am using bbc1hd wales and scotland from 2F
Yes but he's not receiving 10847V. 10818V is an easy catch. 10847V is 1.3dB lower than 10818. 1.3dB is worth 1.5 dish sizes.
 
Reception of all BBC channels no problem here in the very NW of Galicia on my 1.8m dish.
 
Updated to here - and Ive just had a big pile of Spanish reports from woborny so I'll get busy on them :D
 
Time for some Jamon and a nice glass of Manzanilla?
 
What I mean is once there are more than 3 or 4 lines on a graph it starts to get confusing and not so user friendly. Have a look at this for example and see how easy it is to understand (or not, maybe).

View attachment 61690

Ok I understand what you are getting at.

RF measurements are not very accurate. Although the meter may give a reading to a resolution of 0.1 dB they are not that good. The main reasons for a SNR reading to vary over time are:
  • Fluctuating Meter
  • Changing Atmospheric conditions
  • Wobble in the satellite position (24H cycle)
One way of improving the measurements is to use a reference transponder which sort of calibrates out some of the meter and atmospheric variations. Doing this gives a more sensitive reading.

I've done this in the updated attached files and if you look at the SNR over several days it is possible to get a view of how the satellites perform relative to one another and how it changes over time including the 24H cycles.

I've also separated out the 2E and the 2F graphs to make things a little clearer.

Thanks again for the data and if you intend to do this sort of thing in the future it might be a good idea to add a stable pan European beam in the list to act as a reference.

Terry

NOTE: This forum won't allow the posting of spreadsheets so you will need to save the files on your hard disk then change the extension to ODS or XLS. They are not really text files.
 

Attachments

Hi again from central Portugal... after a lovely storm last night this morning I have clear blue skies for first time since change over started.
Time to tickle the dish up. Good news now all BBC SD solid even during my afternoon signal low. Slight break up on BBC HD at same time, previously had no signal at that time of day. Let's see what tomorrow brings.
 
I'm only confirming what everyone already knows - here in Barcelona (city) reception of all BBC channels is now down to a big fat zero. Continue to receive ITVs and 4s.
How unlucky is it to be smack bang in the middle of a complete null?!
Does anyone know of reception in this area with bigger dishes?

Thank God for Filmon and Hola.org
 
I was thinking of moving to Madrid this year too... plans may have to be accelarated...
 
Your ITVs etc will disappear overnight tonight, then, sadly.
 
Loja nr Granada, Spain,.
No lock or reception on spot beam, Gibbertini 1.5.

However meter readings show.
10788 Dbuv 73
10818 Dbuv 67.5
Quite a difference?
Readungs on 2f 10964 Dbuv 68

I wish that we could get reports from someone with a larger dish near here.

Being a novice 73 Dbuv seems quite high with no lock,

Hope this helps nml
 
I'm only confirming what everyone already knows - here in Barcelona (city) reception of all BBC channels is now down to a big fat zero. Continue to receive ITVs and 4s.
How unlucky is it to be smack bang in the middle of a complete null?!
Does anyone know of reception in this area with bigger dishes?
Extremely unlikely. I'm probably as near to you as you are going to get any sort of reception (if that makes sense). North of Tortosa there is a huge drop off of signal. I don't know how far north it would be possible to receive a signal but judging by my tests I doubt it will get as far as L'Hospitalet de L'Infant. In the space of 4Km I get reception on 1.9M then absolutely nothing, it's that steep.
 
I have heard today that Gibraltar got their BBC back yesterday, no idea if this is true and don't know anyone to ask.
 
I have heard today that Gibraltar got their BBC back yesterday, no idea if this is true and don't know anyone to ask.
Probably not via satellite, unless they have like a 4 or 5 meter dish
Possible some form of iptv or rebroadcasting relay system
 
North of Tortosa there is a huge drop off of signal. In the space of 4Km I get reception on 1.9M then absolutely nothing, it's that steep.


Really?... :eek: I am amazed ... have you tried that yourselve ? Is a real surprise that the dropoff is so steep.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top