Astra 2E: Iberia & Balearics Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having thought about it, for a few minutes, I guess if you are in the intended reception area, not outside it, the signal loss would be insignificant, unlike how much it can damage our reception here.
 
Having thought about it, for a few minutes, I guess if you are in the intended reception area, not outside it, the signal loss would be insignificant, unlike how much it can damage our reception here.
It's getting worse every night and there's still a week to go before the longest eclipse.

last-24-hours-graph.php.webp
 
Just monitored the effect of the eclipse on a LH110 at my location, that I recovered from Quesada this moning. Only used basic equipment, big sat receiver (because thats all I have since old Comwell box died) which I set up at approx 17:30. All txp´s locked ok at that time. Started watching siq strength and quality at 22:15 at five min intervals and watched slow decline in sig quality until 23:48 when signal "shot back up" within seconds of satellite reflectors receiving sunlight again. Sig quality only had to drop from 50% to 46% to cause pixellation on 10714 (weakest in my area), interestingly the sig strength stayed at 74% throughout. This is probably due to the limitations of the box´s receiver. Most other txp´s were not affected by pixellation, although I did not check them all.

I could still do with some help understanding why 2F drops much more than 2E. I understand more txp´s means more power from batteries, but that alone cannot explain the big variation in sig strength, and also timing of drop off. Does the altitude and exact geo position also have an effect, ie higher satellite is in shadow for shorter time, and one being at 28.2 and the other at 28.35?
 
Does the altitude and exact geo position also have an effect, ie higher satellite is in shadow for shorter time, and one being at 28.2 and the other at 28.35?
They're all at the same altitude, otherwise they wouldn't be "stationary". And the 0.15º just means 2E goes in and out of the shadow 36 seconds earlier.

Here's what it looked like for me today on the 1.1m. No pixelization.

last-24-hours-graph.php.webp
 
Just monitored the effect of the eclipse on a LH110 at my location, that I recovered from Quesada this moning. Only used basic equipment, big sat receiver (because thats all I have since old Comwell box died) which I set up at approx 17:30. All txp´s locked ok at that time. Started watching siq strength and quality at 22:15 at five min intervals and watched slow decline in sig quality until 23:48 when signal "shot back up" within seconds of satellite reflectors receiving sunlight again.

I noticed this last night too, 10818 was at 44% then 10 mins later it was at 36% , a big drop and started to break up
 
Hi Richard, does the Amiko Alien come with free Sigourney Weaver software? if so I want one!
 
There's something odd I've noticed with BBC ONE HD and BBC TWO HD (108 & 109 on Freesat). Sometimes I get momentary bands of pixelation of the image but when I check the signal levels I see a solid 90% strength and 80% quality. There doesn't seem to be any consistent pattern to this - sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. I don't notice the same thing happening with ITV HD of C4 HD and it certainly wasn't a problem before 'the change'. A weak low quality signal would seem to be the most obvious explanation but that isn't the case. Perhaps it's something up with the FoxsatHDR (which has Raydon's custom firmware but always has had). Has anyone else noticed something similar?
 
Last edited:
Have just checked LH110 with new toy, S1 meter. At the moment 10714 is dropping as low as 5.2db and peaking up to 7db within a few seconds (not sure if I believe it) VBER goes as high as 2.8 E-5. I really don´t think the signal is changing that quickly, so maybe the S1 is being a little sensitive, I´ll have to play with it more to to make sure. That said, it beats an old decoder and the 14" tv, especially on a roof!
 
How long do the S1 batteries keep going without a charge? I can only get about 20 minutes out of my satlook lite and they don't keep a charge for long. I guess a could replace them but although they look standard AA size I suspect they are not rated exactly 1.5v.
 
It didn't take long to find replacement batteries on Amazon - Ni-Mh AA 1.2 volt, 2.700 mAH x 8 for 30 euros, including postage.
 
How long do the S1 batteries keep going without a charge? I can only get about 20 minutes out of my satlook lite and they don't keep a charge for long. I guess a could replace them but although they look standard AA size I suspect they are not rated exactly 1.5v.

Havn´t really had time to tell just yet. It came over 50% charged, don´t know how long it has been on the shelf,so I then put it on charge for 8 hours. Used it for about 10 mins last night checking lh110 and 20 mins this afternoon to line up two dishes to Badr and Astra1 for test use. Have now left it watching Film4 in the bedroom (for Molly the dog) will let you know when it gives up. Has already been on for 15 mins, still showing 3/4 charge.
 
Battery has just died, just as well, Molly has had enough of Film 4! Guess new batteries are worth more than 20 mins!
 
They're all at the same altitude, otherwise they wouldn't be "stationary". And the 0.15º just means 2E goes in and out of the shadow 36 seconds earlier.

Here's what it looked like for me today on the 1.1m. No pixelization.

Huevos, if you have the time, could you do a graph against 2e sd and hd over 24H so we can see the difference
 
Has anyone else had a drop on 10818V or is it just me, currently no signal but 2F hd transponders OK so still have BBC1?
 
Hi Terry
Yes me too, i noticed it a couple of nights ago, and last night i couldn't get it at all. At the moment 11.56am its at 34% with breakup, it used to be at 40-42% at this time of the day and 44% at it's strongest. 10788 and 10803 are slightly stronger at the moment by about 2%
 
Hi Terry
Yes me too, i noticed it a couple of nights ago, and last night i couldn't get it at all. At the moment 11.56am its at 34% with breakup, it used to be at 40-42% at this time of the day and 44% at it's strongest. 10788 and 10803 are slightly stronger at the moment by about 2%
Lets hope its not the start of something and thanks for the confirmation.
 
Has anyone else had a drop on 10818V or is it just me, currently no signal but 2F hd transponders OK so still have BBC1?
Don't know if of any relevance or interest, no change here on 10818, same strength and behavior as 10773, 10788, 10832, 10891.
 
Just how low did the blue bar go!
Not quite as simple as that. The blue line is the average of the 3 8PSK transponders on 2E. That down-spike is one transponder (10862) going offline.The other two continued without problems.

The problem is if a transponder goes offline it shows as an 8dB drop when in reality it might only be a 1dB loss. Best thing is put this measuring back on the bigger dish.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top