Astra 2E: Iberia & Balearics Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oops the quote in my last post did not work quite right - but regards this comment there was a specific question asked for which I tried to provide an answer for ie "Just a question, a 1.8 m prime focus dish is supposed to be a better option than a 1.5 offset one, isn't it? " so "Buying a decent dish" did not quite seem to fit the bill there!
 
Oops the quote in my last post did not work quite right - but regards this comment there was a specific question asked for which I tried to provide an answer

I think the point we are both trying to make is the best thing to do is check the tech spec of the dish to confirm the gain of the dish. This is afterall very important in weak signal areas
 
I think the point we are both trying to make is the best thing to do is check the tech spec of the dish to confirm the gain of the dish. This is afterall very important in weak signal areas

Of course I have to agree with that - but its not only the dish thats important as I have found for myself. In the old 2D days I had real problems in getting a reliable signal here in Valencia and found that the LNB, the cable, the way the cable is routed and the feedhorn are all just as important - and then add to that carfull setting up of focus and skew all of which may have a bearing on what Sinbad is attempting.
 
Just a question, a 1.8 m prime focus dish is supposed to be a better option than a 1.5 offset one, isn't it?
I thought offset dishes were better quality receiving signal than prime focus ones, but we got a new component, the size of the dish.
This is one of those over stated things like don't use connectors. Maybe under lab conditions you might notice a difference between PF and offset, but not in practical use. My 1.8m PF out performs my 1.5m offset by a country mile.

Also if there is no noticeable difference between the 2.4m and the 1.8m dishes the 2.4m is set up wrong. The 2.4m should have around 2dB better SNR than the 1.8m. The nightly ocultation of 2E is less than -1dB SNR so if that dish size increase didn't cure it I would guess the 2.4m is not set up correctly, or is possibly out of focus.
 
the good news is that the 3.2m famaval is basically a petal kit applied on the 2.3m dish, so all is not lost
Not a big improvement though, the dish efficiency drops to 55% once those are bolted on.
 
yes, but its not like upgrading from a 1.8, that you "throw away" the old dish and get a totally new system
I think it's worth considering after sorting the right lnb, BTW what LNB is it being used, and the rest of the configuration?
 
Also if there is no noticeable difference between the 2.4m and the 1.8m dishes the 2.4m is set up wrong. The 2.4m should have around 2dB better SNR than the 1.8m.

It has actually 1dB extra. Been told but one Famaval's engineer I happen to know personally who also told me there's no point in changing to a 2.30m one in order to receive 2F/2E UK beams in my location. Still won't get them ....
 
15% increase is a BIG improvement, and as the 2.3m (yes Famaval sells them as 2.3m check here: http://www.famaval.pt/pt/fix-polar-pt/fix-polar-230-310-pt.html)
the good news is that the 3.2m famaval is basically a petal kit applied on the 2.3m dish, so all is not lost

In the old 2D days (eems so long ago now!) the 3.1m panels added about 1 hour extra to the 2d horizontal frequencies in this area of Spain!
Not really worth it for the 400euros....
 
Thank you for the link
 
It has actually 1dB extra.
2dB SNR on my Satlook Color HD and Satcatcher Excel TV. With 1.8m I'm getting around 12dB SNR (depending on transponder) and on a 2.4m about 13.8dB.
 
remember that in Spain its usual to quote the "tape measure" figure, including the rim
what lnb is being used?
probably a quattro feeding a multiswitch?
 
yes, I know, I was warning user Camping about that being common practice over there as he stated a 2.4m Famaval was installed ;)

still waiting to know the lnb setup used so the figures make any sense
 
yes, I know, I was warning user Camping about that being common practice over there as he stated a 2.4m Famaval was installed ;)

still waiting to know the lnb setup used so the figures make any sense
I will find out tomorrow. Thank you for your interest. I know it is a quad feeding a multiswitch
 
THread checked to here & we should be up to date now,
 
We have an LNB Invertor (?) 0.3db with horn on the 2.30 Famaval.
Apparently we are receiving 60db on the low power transponders but the quality is no better than on our 1.80 Channel Master and so we are losing the channels at night.
This morning the signal jumped about 4db between 8am and 9am
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top