Astra 2E: Iberia & Balearics Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers for the quick reply, we have slight drizzle here but even light rain causes less problems with this transponder (10818v)than other bbc transponders, curious and not the first wobble this week. Hope it is just incoming weather.
 
No issues here either - the 80cm dish getting 10818 fine - but struggling a little on the 10773 horizontal...with the light drizzle
 
Blimey, is it raining in Gandia? Here it is bright sunshine and clear blue sky.
 
The self amalgamating tape it should be on the outside of the F type connector, not the inside!

No problems with 10818 here either
 
No issues here either - the 80cm dish getting 10818 fine - but struggling a little on the 10773 horizontal...with the light drizzle
This morning I have no signal on 10818 V, 10773 H pixelation SNR(actually signal quality) 56% ish but all 2Fs 4HD 5s ITVs 70-72 SNR and perfect picture. Looks like either LNB or F3 on the blink as clearish blue skies. 10818 SNR yesterday AM 70-71 so something is amiss.
 
Nothing up here again in Valencia - not that I normally watch TV at this time of the morning!!! Just thought I would check on seeing the last post!
 
This morning I have no signal on 10818 V, 10773 H pixelation SNR(actually signal quality) 56% ish but all 2Fs 4HD 5s ITVs 70-72 SNR and perfect picture. Looks like either LNB or F3 on the blink as clearish blue skies. 10818 SNR yesterday AM 70-71 so something is amiss.

Have also noticed problems this morning with 10818V and 10773H, I was getting black flashes while watching BBC Breakfast, which is wat the box does rather than pixelate. Checked signal at strength was on a par with yesterday pm but quality was 50% lower, dropping as low as 30% on the readout.

Have just got the S1 out of the car and compared readings with the other pm when I put my BU quad on in place of the Bigsat.

the other pm ....... this morning

10818 76dBuV c/n ave 9dB VBER 2.8 -8 ......... 80dBuV c/n ave 7.2dB VBER 3 -6
10773 77dBuV c/n 8.7dB VBER 8 -8 ........ 81dBuV c/n 7.4dB VBER 1 -6

Well down this morning
 
Have also noticed problems this morning with 10818V and 10773H, I was getting black flashes while watching BBC Breakfast, which is wat the box does rather than pixelate. Checked signal at strength was on a par with yesterday pm but quality was 50% lower, dropping as low as 30% on the readout.

Have just got the S1 out of the car and compared readings with the other pm when I put my BU quad on in place of the Bigsat.

the other pm ....... this morning

10818 76dBuV c/n ave 9dB VBER 2.8 -8 ......... 80dBuV c/n ave 7.2dB VBER 3 -6
10773 77dBuV c/n 8.7dB VBER 8 -8 ........ 81dBuV c/n 7.4dB VBER 1 -6

Well down this morning
Thanks for this reply, won´t rush and buy a bright shiny new receiver just yet, lets hope it is just temporary, still have HD and android so no panic yet.
 
Hmm - just did a check on those transponders again this afteroon and was getting a strange result. The quality reading on my little Manhatten was 100% but the Signal Strength kept wavering between 64% (putting it into the orange sector) and 73 % (well into the green). I was changing every 10 seconds or so between the two readings. No problem with the picture with either reading but no other transponders seemed to be doing the same thing, they all registered a steady 73% on SS. Don't know if this indicates anything but may be of interest!
 
Hmm - just did a check on those transponders again this afteroon and was getting a strange result. The quality reading on my little Manhatten was 100% but the Signal Strength kept wavering between 64% (putting it into the orange sector) and 73 % (well into the green). I was changing every 10 seconds or so between the two readings. No problem with the picture with either reading but no other transponders seemed to be doing the same thing, they all registered a steady 73% on SS. Don't know if this indicates anything but may be of interest!


To be fair, this morning my Sagemcom signal was jumping along with " Brown girls in the ring", but I take no notice of the box meter. I "trust" the S1 a lot more, albeit the meter is a little jumpy! BUT it also effected some ITV and other channels off 2E, 2F seemed ok. I need help to explain that because I thought noise was the problem, but that should effect both sats equally
 
Last week in February compared to last week of May.

Feb.webp
May.webp
 
Last edited:
I guess since I´m a little further south the effect is a little bigger here. Have also had comments from some people with older 1.4 pf dishes noticing the same problem, so perhaps a small pf dish won´t solve the issue either.

Let´s hope it is being caused by higher level atmospheric problems that will clear on their own.

Huevos, let me know when the new box comes on the market so we can set up a recording station here.
 
Let´s hope it is being caused by higher level atmospheric problems that will clear on their own.
Yes but the pattern is different too. Each satellite follows a pattern where every day is almost identical to the previous day. But now that pattern has slowly changed over the 3 months the satellite has been active. Is this pattern due to parts of the solar array being blocked by the antennas at certain times of day?

I'll post the patterns for March and April later. Shift is gradual but seems sudden when a certain size dish goes over the cliff edge, which is what is now happening in Torrevieja with the badly set up 1.4m offset dishes.
 
Last edited:
Ok, here are the 4 months together so you can see them one above another.

Feb.webp
Mar.webp
Apr.webp May.webp
 
........ Shift is gradual but seems sudden when a certain size dish goes over the cliff edge, which is what is now happening in Torrevieja with the badly set up 1.4m offset dishes.

Hi, thanks for the info. Had two friends on today saying about the signaldrop/loss etc. They are both located in or around the Policia Local office/Carrefour in Torrevieja.
¿Do you know or can confirm that a good quality and correctly installed 1.4m should be of sufficient size to secure a consistent reception in that location....appreciate that the altering weather must play its part. Both of them have 1.4m with Black Ultra Quad.

If ¿¿¿???'s remain should they go for a 1.9m installation.

Your opinion is respected, thank you.
 
Hi, thanks for the info. Had two friends on today saying about the signaldrop/loss etc. They are both located in or around the Policia Local office/Carrefour in Torrevieja.
¿Do you know or can confirm that a good quality and correctly installed 1.4m should be of sufficient size to secure a consistent reception in that location....appreciate that the altering weather must play its part. Both of them have 1.4m with Black Ultra Quad.

If ¿¿¿???'s remain should they go for a 1.9m installation.

Your opinion is respected, thank you.

I know it goes against the grain and I would not normally say this, but the GI twin and GI quad out perform the BU versions. I know this on having worked on a few dishes in the area. Today I swapped two BU twins for GI on dishes I have installed in the last 6 months and got much better c/n and lower error rate. Also tried to replace a GI quad with a BU on a dish that was having problems and the BU was worse than the GI by a country mile. The single is the best, but the multi´s seems to have problems. For a twin go for GI or Best, for the quad the GI is the best I have found to date.

I´m going to get one for my dish!
 
Ok, here are the 4 months together so you can see them one above another.

Huevos, as we approach the summer equinox, is it possible the signal may get a little (I hope) worse and then start to improve again? If your theory is correct about solar collectors being in shadaow by the bird itself, it should improve after june 21st? Anyway, theory makes sense that it affects 2F more than 2E due to the number of active transponders.

Or is it the conspiricy theory? ..... or an alien attack!
 
I know it goes against the grain and I would not normally say this, but the GI twin and GI quad out perform the BU versions. I know this on having worked on a few dishes in the area. Today I swapped two BU twins for GI on dishes I have installed in the last 6 months and got much better c/n and lower error rate. Also tried to replace a GI quad with a BU on a dish that was having problems and the BU was worse than the GI by a country mile. The single is the best, but the multi´s seems to have problems. For a twin go for GI or Best, for the quad the GI is the best I have found to date.

I´m going to get one for my dish!
Don't tell Huevos:)
 
I know it goes against the grain and I would not normally say this, but the GI twin and GI quad out perform the BU versions. I know this on having worked on a few dishes in the area.
Found this also.
BUSingles - fine
BUtwin and Quad - poor
GITwin and Quads - way better than BU, and pulled in channels that BUs could not even get a sniff of!

Did one yesterday, where the client insisted on a BUQuad, as he has "seen in the papers they were the best" - until he saw the signals levels on the meter for the GIQuad!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top