Astra 2E: Iberia & Balearics Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, sorry for what i am going to state now.... There are no huge difference between LNBs (IBU, GI, Octagon, Quad, Single, Twin, black, white, pink....) If they cost more or less same than they perform also more ore less same. Only one exception- Invacom, this one costs much more than cheap ones but performs also same :-rofl2
And it is actually not easy to make fair test, because it is very hard to place LNBs under test at exactly the same position. And any micro-movement of LNB gives different results. Some LNBs can perform better on lower frequencies and some do better on higher frequencies. Moreover, it is possible that A-LNB will perform better on A-antenna, but B-LNB will do better on B-antenna, when you switch LNBs, then may perform different again. All the tests are also weather dependent. Sometimes satellite signals are not equally strong over time, and if you tested A-LNB at 16:00, than same LNB on same antenna at 17:00 can bring completely different results. Another issue- same LNBs are different! If you have 100 same LNBs, lets say Black Ultras, than from that hundred you will not be able to find 2 LNBs giving exactly same results on all antennas in all weather conditions, on all frequencies, at the same time. I do not know, maybe performance also depends on receiver used for tests. Perhaps, if we have 100 OCTAGONs than some of them can perform better than some of the IBUs.
Therefore, before we say that IBU is better than OCTAGON, we should say little bit more about another actors (antenna, receiver, weather, time of the day, your personal mood, which satellite, which frequencies, outside temperature... ).
I know, what I say sounds maybe stupid, but those are my thoughts of today.
IMHO, better LNB today is IBU, I just feel it. Sometimes not easy to prove.
I just made small test on 5*W- scanned all frequencies by IBU and fixed results and than did the same with Octagon Twin and also took results. Placed data in spreadsheet. And spreadsheet shows IBU as a winner.
Used Fibo120 and DM8000.
 

Attachments

  • Screen_39 May. 30 20.40.webp
    Screen_39 May. 30 20.40.webp
    51.4 KB · Views: 59
Guys, sorry for what i am going to state now.... There are no huge difference between LNBs (IBU, GI, Octagon, Quad, Single, Twin, black, white, pink....) If they cost more or less same than they perform also more ore less same. Only one exception- Invacom, this one costs much more than cheap ones but performs also same :-rofl2
And it is actually not easy to make fair test, because it is very hard to place LNBs under test at exactly the same position. And any micro-movement of LNB gives different results. Some LNBs can perform better on lower frequencies and some do better on higher frequencies. Moreover, it is possible that A-LNB will perform better on A-antenna, but B-LNB will do better on B-antenna, when you switch LNBs, then may perform different again. All the tests are also weather dependent. Sometimes satellite signals are not equally strong over time, and if you tested A-LNB at 16:00, than same LNB on same antenna at 17:00 can bring completely different results. Another issue- same LNBs are different! If you have 100 same LNBs, lets say Black Ultras, than from that hundred you will not be able to find 2 LNBs giving exactly same results on all antennas in all weather conditions, on all frequencies, at the same time. I do not know, maybe performance also depends on receiver used for tests. Perhaps, if we have 100 OCTAGONs than some of them can perform better than some of the IBUs.
Therefore, before we say that IBU is better than OCTAGON, we should say little bit more about another actors (antenna, receiver, weather, time of the day, your personal mood, which satellite, which frequencies, outside temperature... ).
I know, what I say sounds maybe stupid, but those are my thoughts of today.
IMHO, better LNB today is IBU, I just feel it. Sometimes not easy to prove.
I just made small test on 5*W- scanned all frequencies by IBU and fixed results and than did the same with Octagon Twin and also took results. Placed data in spreadsheet. And spreadsheet shows IBU as a winner.
Used Fibo120 and DM8000.
 
@RimaNTSS : Couldn't agree more. But people like their perception to be satisfied - If it seems better, it is better!
 
Yes and that is the point i was trying to say before about the BU and my B.E.S.T lnb that the B.E.S.T was better for me on the transponders i was more interested in. The BU may be better across the board but the transponders i was interested in (main channels bbc1 itv etc on 28.e) the B.E.S.T performed better for me. I tested it at the same time of the day, 1 straight after the other twice. I see from your spreadsheet that the opticom performed better on only 2 transponders but that maybe what was happening for me that the B.E.S.T was performing better on the transponders i was interested in and my setup, dish etc.
 
Guys, sorry for what i am going to state now.... There are no huge difference between LNBs (IBU, GI, Octagon, Quad, Single, Twin, black, white, pink....) If they cost more or less same than they perform also more ore less same. Only one exception- Invacom, this one costs much more than cheap ones but performs also same :-rofl2
And it is actually not easy to make fair test, because it is very hard to place LNBs under test at exactly the same position. And any micro-movement of LNB gives different results. Some LNBs can perform better on lower frequencies and some do better on higher frequencies. Moreover, it is possible that A-LNB will perform better on A-antenna, but B-LNB will do better on B-antenna, when you switch LNBs, then may perform different again. All the tests are also weather dependent. Sometimes satellite signals are not equally strong over time, and if you tested A-LNB at 16:00, than same LNB on same antenna at 17:00 can bring completely different results. Another issue- same LNBs are different! If you have 100 same LNBs, lets say Black Ultras, than from that hundred you will not be able to find 2 LNBs giving exactly same results on all antennas in all weather conditions, on all frequencies, at the same time. I do not know, maybe performance also depends on receiver used for tests. Perhaps, if we have 100 OCTAGONs than some of them can perform better than some of the IBUs.
Therefore, before we say that IBU is better than OCTAGON, we should say little bit more about another actors (antenna, receiver, weather, time of the day, your personal mood, which satellite, which frequencies, outside temperature... ).
I know, what I say sounds maybe stupid, but those are my thoughts of today.
IMHO, better LNB today is IBU, I just feel it. Sometimes not easy to prove.
I just made small test on 5*W- scanned all frequencies by IBU and fixed results and than did the same with Octagon Twin and also took results. Placed data in spreadsheet. And spreadsheet shows IBU as a winner.
Used Fibo120 and DM8000.
In Denmark, we call it fly-f*cking. Teeny-weeny differences.
Main advice is: Get A Bigger Dish.
That being said, some of the LNBs are more, erh, easy to integrate in a set-up.
Although I have not had any experience with Octagons or similar, I've found the IBU to be the safe best.
Apart from being very good at fringe-reception, they have a nice high output, which goes well across distribution systesm, i.e. combiners/splitters/DiSEqC switches and so forth.
To compare, the Invacom is nice too, but has a much lower output, which does NOT survive the way to my living room through a DTT/SAT combiner, a splitter-outlet, and yet-anoth-piece of cable to the box.
So, choosing the X for the Y... yes, if you're really really REALLY stuck with your current equipment.
Else go get a bigger dish.
 
St1: Fully agree about dish size. That is what influence reception more, I would say 85%. Rest 15% could probably be dispersed between LNB, cables, sensitivity of the tuner. It is also very important to place LNB at the true focus of antenna, and if on PFA it is simple to find focus than, in case of offset antenna not so easy. Also original LNB holders not always hold LNB in focus. Finding this focus on offset by doing experiments is not easy task as it might seem.
 
RemalNTSS......What a load of old waffle.....Why scan 5 W...? ...Why not scan 28,2 ? and post your results on a 2E reception Thread....?....I imagine you didn't you get the results you wanted with IBU .from 28,2.....?....
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What a load of waffle.....Why scan 5 W...? Why not scan 28,2 and post the results on a 2E reception Thread....?....Didn't you get the results you wanted.from 28,2.....?
Mostly cuz in position 5*W is only one bird, but around position 28,2*E there are several satellites and if I turn antenna to one of them than another ones will not be in focus. 5*W was only as an example when speaking about LNB tests. Agree, it is offtop. But, you bet, I will do and post 28,2*E tests (TBH, I already did some and posted somwhere before.)
 
@RimaNTSS : Couldn't agree more. But people like their perception to be satisfied - If it seems better, it is better!
Who are these "People".......Care to elaborate.......Is it the people who don't agree with very word / postings ...from regular/ well known members..?..
If so ..I find your comments......very patronising....to us newer members.....
 
Who are "These "People".......Care to elaborate.......Is it the people who don't agree with very word / postings ...from regular/ well known members..?..
If so ..I find your comments......very patronising....to us newer members.....


All of us - myself included.

The factors RimaNTSS mentions are all perfectly valid, yet despite that we seem to hit upon a personal choice of LNB by Empirical, rather than Scientific, means.

I have a drawer full of LNBs I've tried and rejected in favour of something else.
 
Common Steve Steve, one of those people is me as well. I confess, sometimes I like results to be better even if they are not. If somebody is not agreeing to something than forum is exactly designed to express personal opinions. And there are no young or old members and does not matter when he or she registered.
 
Yep. Content is all that matters.
 
.....As your In Belgium...and you can receive all 2E & 2F on a Sky mini dish with any old crappy LNB......!!! ..How will you / can you ? ... test a LNB for 28,2 fringe reception ....? apart from maybe some signal attenuation ..?.....
 
But, Steve Steve, not all posts here about receiving 2E&2F, many of them about different LNBs with tendency to find the best one. And does mot matter for which satellite this LNB will be installed. I posted 5*W test just to show difference between IBU and Octagon. And, I am positive, if I do same test on 28,2*E the difference in performance of those two LNBs will be more or less same.
And, BTW, because 28,2*E in my area could be received by using small antennas, this bird is not so interesting for me, I prefer 7*W and 26*E in that case.
 
Exactly.... Believe me.....its very very difficult here for 24 / 7 reception......Iv'e added my opinion for best Quad LNB for Munich ....on this thread.........l'll leave it a that........for now...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I do not think we have something to argue about. I think we are simply chatting here, expressing personal opinions and on the way also learning.
And, BTW, what do you mean by
best dish and LNB for Munich
Just kidding :rolleyes:
 
@richard, they do two 1.4m PF dishes there so be careful to get the Famaval as it is slightly bigger.

Use the latest Famaval feed and Invacom quad and you will quite a bit over your current dish. On the spec sheet it doesn't seem a lot but in reality it is quite a bit. The reason is the bigger dish doesn't just have more gain, but also greater rejection to keep Badr5 signals at bay.

But obviously if you've got the space a 1.8m is a better option. That's what I use here for 28E, although I have other dishes set up for tests.
 
Exactly.... Believe me.....its very very difficult here for 24 / 7 reception......Iv'e added my opinion for best Quad LNB for Munich ....on this thread.........l'll leave it a that........for now...
Way to go Steve.
 
Well my personal opinion is if someone posts info I know not to be credible I make a mental note to discount any other claims that person makes about gear I not familiar with.
 
Huevoes.......show some balls ...and say what you really think.......Instead of fannying around with if's and buts and...if i see this and that....sitting on the fence Etc.....come on......out with it... what ever your trying to say.......In a round about way..?.......
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top