Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
The lower signal for the vertical ones is entirely an LNB problem. Tested 4 BU and all gives 1-1.5 dB lower SNR for vertical polarization compared to horizontal. I dropped one from the roof last week and after looking inside I now realize why it's like this. It's a design issue.
The signals are lower compared to 2F but can be due to the null just west of me (closer). Anyway I ordered two Invacom QTH-031 this morning. Can hopefully do some test in a week or two..
The problem is also that 8-PSK gets more popular and then you need additional 1.5 dB compared to QPSK.

The big drop at noon is less relevant since I never watch TV at this time.

I find the Black Ultras (twins and singles, not used a quad) are giving me better reception on verticals in general. What was the design issue?

bema

Reaction score
Website
www.sm6muy.se
My Satellite Setup
TV server: Linux Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
TvHeadend 4.1-1355
TBS6904 (Quad DVB-S/S2)
Dish: TD110, Inverto black ultra quattro
TBS6205 (Quad DVB-T/T2)
Ant: UHF 100 El Triax, dir N
Client: Kodi v14.2 etc
My Location
Sweden
I find the Black Ultras (twins and singles, not used a quad) are giving me better reception on verticals in general. What was the design issue?

The vertical "probe" is not in the circular waveguide. They have an separate cavity for this probe and it's coupled thru an slot to the circular waveguide. "Extra" loss ("two laminates" instead of one) and probably more tolerance issues in the mechanical parts.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
The vertical "probe" is not in the circular waveguide. They have an separate cavity for this probe and it's coupled thru an slot to the circular waveguide. "Extra" loss ("two laminates" instead of one) and probably more tolerance issues in the mechanical parts.
Interesting. Could that be exclusive to the quad? I'm not opening up mine to check though...

bema

Reaction score
Website
www.sm6muy.se
My Satellite Setup
TV server: Linux Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
TvHeadend 4.1-1355
TBS6904 (Quad DVB-S/S2)
Dish: TD110, Inverto black ultra quattro
TBS6205 (Quad DVB-T/T2)
Ant: UHF 100 El Triax, dir N
Client: Kodi v14.2 etc
My Location
Sweden
Interesting. Could that be exclusive to the quad? I'm not opening up mine to check though...

Yes maybe it's only the quad (and quattro which I disassemble)..I guess it's for utilizing the PCB area better....

Fredrik M

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 125 dish, Inverto Black Ultra single aimed at 28.2 E, built in Philips TV receiver
Triax 110 aimed at Telstar 12 (15 W)
My Location
Landvetter (15 km E of Gothenburg), Sweden
The lower signal for the vertical ones is entirely an LNB problem. Tested 4 BU and all gives 1-1.5 dB lower SNR for vertical polarization compared to horizontal. I dropped one from the roof last week and after looking inside I now realize why it's like this. It's a design issue.
The signals are lower compared to 2F but can be due to the null just west of me (closer). Anyway I ordered two Invacom QTH-031 this morning. Can hopefully do some test in a week or two..
The problem is also that 8-PSK gets more popular and then you need additional 1.5 dB compared to QPSK.

The big drop at noon is less relevant since I never watch TV at this time.

I am really looking forward to the test of the Invacom. To put the comments from timo_w2s and bema in plain English for a poor civil engineer (that's me) :-), it means that we should be able to pull both the vertical and horizontal transponders from Astra 2e with a Triax 110 in Gothenburg using a better LNB than Inverto Black Ultra? The uncertainty being the HD channels using 8PSK? I guess the requirement of stronger signals for 8PSK is the reason that I had problems getting the BBC HD channels from 1N with my 50 cm dish.

Last edited:

mr420

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD . Vu+ Solo HD
T90 1w 5e 13e , Triax 110 + Inverto Black Ultra Quad
My Location
Drammen , Norway
I have 28E in middel on my T90. I am getting all channels but not BBC. Good signales on ITV channel. Sky Premier HD has gone down fom 14db to 7.

Planning to buy 125cm dish hope that will work and maybe also for BBC

I tested invacom few months ago on 28e which i later gave to my brother. signal went down with 1db on his box.

Leeashaz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm Triax dish on IRTE Omniview motor in UK
Icecrypt S1600CHD receiver, Technomate TM 5000 Super
Planning to install new motorized system in Madrid
My Location
Madrid
I have lost all the UK spot beam channels here in Gothenburg. This was expected considering that my dish is only 50 cm. When I installed the dish in the autumn of last year I was surprised that I could get most of the UK spot beam channels on 1N. The previous owners of my current house had left the dish and it was stored in the basement for some years, so I have not made any real investments yet.

Looking at the data from bema, a 1.1 m dish may not be enough in our area. However, bema also states two different dB numbers for pixelization: "5.8 dB (ideal demod 5.2 dB ) and 7.2 dB (ideal demod 6.6 dB. ) What do the two different dB levels mean? The horizontal transponders have been varying between 6 and 9 dB, whereas the vertical ones have been below the detection limit. I probably need to ask my neighbors before installing anything that is larger than 1.1 m...

I'm also in Gothenburg with a 1m dish on 22.8. I can just about receive the 2f UK beam (with very minor pixelation during the day otherwise a good reception) but the 2e spotbeam is a lot weaker here. This morning I had the BBC 1 NW and BBC 2 England but they were constantly pixelating - signal jumping between 66%-68% (on my receiver 67% is the minimum for a steady picture). After about 9.00 there was nothing. Not managed to get anything from any of the other BBC channels at all (BBC News, CBBC, Cbeebies and some other regional channels - those transponders seem to be a lot weaker - I haven't checked exactly which ones they are yet but I'll post back when I've got more time.

So, I think in Gothenburg you would get away with a 1.2m dish as the very minimum for 2e.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Yes maybe it's only the quad (and quattro which I disassemble)..I guess it's for utilizing the PCB area better....
Well I can't see there being much room in the single for extra waveguides. Even the twin isn't much bigger. If you don't need four outputs you might want to try a BU twin to see if it works better for you if the Invacom doesn't help.

I am really looking forward to the test of the Invacom. To put the comments from timo_w2s and bema in plain English for a poor civil engineer (that's me) :), it means that we should be able to pull both the vertical and horizontal transponders from Astra 2e with a Triax 110 in Gothenburg using a better LNB than Inverto Black Ultra? The uncertainty being the HD channels using 8PSK? I guess the requirement of stronger signals for 8PSK is the reason that I had problems getting the BBC HD channels from 1N with my 50 cm dish.
Nothing beats a bigger dish and the Black Ultra is supposed to be pretty good (I've not managed to find anything that beats it) but others may disagree. Another option if you can't get a bigger dish is to try another receiver. Modern Sky HD boxes are pretty good sensitivity wise. But a bigger dish is the way to go.

Fredrik M

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 125 dish, Inverto Black Ultra single aimed at 28.2 E, built in Philips TV receiver
Triax 110 aimed at Telstar 12 (15 W)
My Location
Landvetter (15 km E of Gothenburg), Sweden
Thank you Leeashaz and Timo_w2s for your advice. I will try to get something slightly larger than the Triax 110 cm that I have been considering.

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
Bergen, Norway \ Alpes Maritimes, France
BBC still there, but got a substantial evening signal drop (similar on 2F) compared to my previous post. Still much stronger signal here than 2F spot.

Reminds me of pre-1N reception. Looks like a larger dish will be needed for 24\24 or weather margin.

Attachments

• bbc e v.jpg
    bbc e v.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 64

Leeashaz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm Triax dish on IRTE Omniview motor in UK
Icecrypt S1600CHD receiver, Technomate TM 5000 Super
Planning to install new motorized system in Madrid
My Location
Madrid

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
BBC still there, but got a substantial evening signal drop (similar on 2F) compared to my previous post. Still much stronger signal here than 2F spot.

Reminds me of pre-1N reception. Looks like a larger dish will be needed for 24\24 or weather margin.

OK late last night and all day, but breaking up as Signal\Quality drops below 30\35 on late evening (same pattern as yesterday). Will probably be watchable again around midnight.

Attachments

• lost.jpg
    lost.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Scandinavia updated to here

Waveguide

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish and box
My Location
North
Thanks Analogusat, the braincell can get the "Big Pitcher" without overload using that map!

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Good work so far! Don't blame you for taking a break. Here's one for tomorrow:

Helsinki: 1.8m dish, no signal of any significance seen on any 2E UK spot frequencies.

(Also, a 1.25m in Helsinki seems fine for 2E Europe when I had a quick check this evening, not sure about mornings though)

skomedal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
This and that
My Location
thule
Central southern norway zero on astra 2e uk spot beam.

But am streaming bbc4 arena ( The Everly Brothers - Songs of Innocence and Experience ) ATM.

Spare lappy connected to tv with hdmi cable.

So no big miss so far

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
As expected (see #52), BBC News\1\2\3\4\6390 back again around midnight.

Attachments

• 0000.jpg
    0000.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 65

mr420

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD . Vu+ Solo HD
T90 1w 5e 13e , Triax 110 + Inverto Black Ultra Quad
My Location
Drammen , Norway
Nice if ppl can tell were they are from and size of dish.

Do u ppl think 1.25cm would be ok for Astra 2E in Oslo - Drammen area ? If not i will go for Traix 110cm since i dont need BBC or ITV.

Getting all channel on 2F with T90

popolon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Teleste 5m,invacom quad (28.2E), invacom quattro (26.0E). Triax multiswitch (1in, 8 out)
-TT 1600 PCI. Prof 3701 PCI.
-DR HD F15
-Ariva ferguson A120
Aerial 3m dish (7W-28.5E) + motor+ invacom quad.
-Ariva ferguson A220.
My Location
Finland
2E UK beam seems to be receivable 24h with 5m dish in SW of Finland (Huittinen). Horizontals weaker than Verticals. Weakest SNR is 8.2db (10936V) at the moment, so in that sense no margin for rain. But best SNR is 10.1db (10744H) at the moment. It is odd that even though verticals are stronger (over 3 dbm), the SNR is not better.
Anyway against 1N, 2E is better at the moment. But that can change if 2E is not in final place yet and/or power levels are tweaked.

Status
Not open for further replies.