Astra 2F: European Beam Transfers Starting?

Analoguesat said:
And lets NOT have any half assed speculation & theories about failures this time!
Well if it is not 2F they seem to have spent a lot of money to underutilize a satelite which has more capacity then ever but at the same time less utilization then ever. It would seem akin to a batchelor building a 6 bedroom house just for himself. Dont ask why that particular analogy came to mind :-hide

Incidentally this beam appears stronger to me than other tps on 1n , often tipping 100% SNR even on the 1.2m motorized .

edit : Ah , ok, 1n has more than one pe beam visa vie PE1 hxxps://sat.ses.com/webservice/images/7405039
 
all the above mentioned frequencies work at the same levels as before in my location - which doesnt help determine whether its 1n or 2f, because the pe beam would be around the same here for both
 
Zorba. R u Getting any BBC or ITV Channels.
 
davidcmadrid said:
Well if it is not 2F they seem to have spent a lot of money to underutilize a satelite which has more capacity then ever but at the same time less utilization then ever. It would seem akin to a batchelor building a 6 bedroom house just for himself. Dont ask why that particular analogy came to mind :-hide
SES works in mysterious ways sometimes. I often thought the same thing about Astra 2C when it was just transmitting Channel 5 and some obscure RTL tests for ages at 28E, then eventually disappeared to transmit a few obscure channels to eastern Europe. Only now at 19E is she actually having a proper workout and she's getting quite old now.
 
Well the transport stream for skynews in sd on the hd sky box is 07ea which gives us 2026 which is listed as Astra 2b south. If it went to 1N then wouldnt it have a different transponder number? If it was a straight swap to 2f then the transport stream and transponder number would stay the same wouldnt it?? My bet is that its 2f and the so called canaries lobe is an error ........or the lobe needs a much bigger dish than the 120cm published on the 2f beam which seems to be the dish size required in the lobe according to SES
 
12012, V, gone here this morning, no signal!

Sky Family HD
Sky Thriller HD
MGM HD
Sky Premiere HD
 
denis1501 said:
12012, V, gone here this morning, no signal!

Sky Family HD
Sky Thriller HD
MGM HD
Sky Premiere HD
Same as in Istanbul with 170 cm dish
 
denis1501 said:
12012, V, gone here this morning, no signal!

Sky Family HD
Sky Thriller HD
MGM HD
Sky Premiere HD
Where in Italy I presume far south???
 
denis1501 said:
12012, V, gone here this morning, no signal!

Sky Family HD
Sky Thriller HD
MGM HD
Sky Premiere HD
It's down a couple of dB on my 80cm dish to 13.3dB in Helsinki but still very strong.
 
solly said:
today morning more tp down from 2b
12110 h
12246 v
12304 h
Yes, it looks like these have moved, not reception in Helsinki any more either.
 
welshman234 said:
Where in Italy I presume far south???
Central Italy, not far from Rome. 12012 was always one of my strongest signals.......
 
welshman234 said:
Well the transport stream for skynews in sd on the hd sky box is 07ea which gives us 2026 which is listed as Astra 2b south. If it went to 1N then wouldnt it have a different transponder number? If it was a straight swap to 2f then the transport stream and transponder number would stay the same wouldnt it?? My bet is that its 2f and the so called canaries lobe is an error ........or the lobe needs a much bigger dish than the 120cm published on the 2f beam which seems to be the dish size required in the lobe according to SES
I don't quite understand your theory between keeping a transport stream the same for 2F but not for 1N? Either way it's a straight transponder swap with no frequency changes. I assume SES will keep the transponder numbers the same as they have at other satellite positions when they replace satellites.

I guess if they take over Eutelsat's frequencies then they'll apply their own number scheme in those blocks so those would change.
 
denis1501 said:
Central Italy, not far from Rome. 12012 was always one of my strongest signals.......
Could they be reshuffling some 2A <-> 2B transponders? Can you get both 2A and 2B North beams where you are? Here in Helsinki 12012V is still very strong.
 
Read back through the thread m8, 2A north was always a problem for me until yesterday's changes. Now I have twice the signal I had before. The only transponder to have disappeared (other than the ones gone to 2F UK beam) is 12012, V.
 
timo_w2s said:
I don't quite understand your theory between keeping a transport stream the same for 2F but not for 1N? Either way it's a straight transponder swap with no frequency changes. I assume SES will keep the transponder numbers the same as they have at other satellite positions when they replace satellites.

I guess if they take over Eutelsat's frequencies then they'll apply their own number scheme in those blocks so those would change.
I seem to remember that when stuff went from Astra 2d to 1n last year there was a transfer with different frequencies and new transponders whereas 1n to 2f is a straight swapover ....... didnt some people with freesat have to retune when 2d went to 1n..... whereas this time theres no apparent need.......this was the logic i was trying to convey....Anyone fancy asking ses on facebook... I dont use facebook personally.
 
denis1501 said:
Read back through the thread m8, 2A north was always a problem for me until yesterday's changes. Now I have twice the signal I had before. The only transponder to have disappeared (other than the ones gone to 2F UK beam) is 12012, V.
What I mean is do you have better reception on 2A North or 2B North or are they as bad as each other? As far as I can see 12012V is still on a north beam as it is still very strong here in Finland whereas the other reception transfers to 2F/1N have gone completely, so I think 12012V might have just moved from one old satellite to another. Perhaps they are trying to empty one of the old satellites ready to move it.
 
welshman234 said:
I seem to remember that when stuff went from Astra 2d to 1n last year there was a transfer with different frequencies and new transponders whereas 1n to 2f is a straight swapover ....... didnt some people with freesat have to retune when 2d went to 1n..... whereas this time theres no apparent need.......this was the logic i was trying to convey....Anyone fancy asking ses on facebook... I dont use facebook personally.
2D to 1N was a straight transfer of frequencies. The only new transponders where in the old 2C range since 1N has more transponders and capacity than 2D had.

Edit: Ah, maybe you are thinking of the Sky News tests on 1N in the 2C band. I think they even made the channels live for a few days before reverting back to their old home. These channels had a different transport stream ID as they where on a new frequency.
 
timo_w2s said:
2D to 1N was a straight transfer of frequencies. The only new transponders where in the old 2C range since 1N has more transponders and capacity than 2D had.
Ok I got that wrong it seems...... I have looked at the SES home page but they havent released any info ...they are the only ones in the know about this......back to our fellow contributor in Rome I am a bit bemused as to why 12012v has gone- either of the PE beams on 1N should be receivable on a 60cm dish according to the official SES 1N footprint...... and the published PE footprnt for Astra 2f on about a 75 cm dish should be receivable too
 
Not surprised SES Home Page has no info, bearing in mind the incomplete and inaccurate stuff they put out once Testing was complete.

Their PR people seem somewhat ineffective!
 
Back
Top