Astra 2F: European Beam Transfers Starting?

According to n2yo, Astra 2B is now on station at 19.2E. Maybe we'll see 2C move to 28.2 as backup with 2A's TP's offloaded to 2F?
Well won't they move the signals recently moved to 1N pan-European to 2C when it arrives at 28.2E?

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

 
And why on earth (Or, strictly, 24000 miles above the Earth) isn't 2F being properly utilised?
 
BLUEPLATINUM said:
Well won't they move the signals recently moved to 1N pan-European to 2C when it arrives at 28.2E? Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2
That's my thoughts but can 2C cover all of the spectrum now used by 1N (ex 2B)?

Tivù said:
And why on earth (Or, strictly, 24000 miles above the Earth) isn't 2F being properly utilised?
Some speculate the satellite has problems but everyone who saw the testing at 43.5E witnessed it being tested across the whole spectrum so one assumes it's at least capable of transmitting and maybe there's some other secret squirrel SES plan in place!
 
M60 said:
That's my thoughts but can 2C cover all of the spectrum now used by 1N (ex 2B)?
If Lyngsat is to be believed it's currently transmitting between 10729V and 12148H at 19.2E. Most of the 1N PE transponders are a bit higher than that, but I don't know if that's just a coincidence. I'm sure someone has a 2C fact sheet with the full details somewhere.

Edit: Wikipedia says it can cover 10.70 GHz-12.20 GHz...
 
Marcus_21 said:
Frequency Plan Astra 2C: frequencyplansatellites.altervista.org/Astra/Astra_2C.pdf :cool:
Thanks, of course it doesn't do the Eutelsat frequency range but otherwise it looks like it's good for emergency backup of the UK beam and good for the existing Astra 2A range.
 
Let's hope we start to see reports of frequencies moving from 2C to 2B soon.
 
Ah, yes: "2B or not 2B, that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, etc .etc."

Good old Hamlet. I never knew he was a Satellite pioneer!
 
timo_w2s said:
Thanks, of course it doesn't do the Eutelsat frequency range but otherwise it looks like it's good for emergency backup of the UK beam and good for the existing Astra 2A range.
Yep, your right. Maybe they plan to move 2C earlier than planned, time will tell. It seems 2C has a fair few TP's active at 19.2E, one assumes 2B will soon take over. Wasn't 2A planned to move to 23.5E in 2014 once 2E and 2G are in place at 28.2E?
 
M60 said:
Wasn't 2A planned to move to 23.5E in 2014 once 2E and 2G are in place at 28.2E?
I seem to remember something like that but some of the PDFs showing SES's future plans still have 2A at 28.2E in 2015.

I made is little chart showing some of SES more popular satellite's current satellites frequency ranges, mainly for my own amusement but I thought I'd share it here. I've taken bits of info from various sources but can't guarantee it's all correct.
 

Attachments

  • astra-freq-plan.gif
    astra-freq-plan.gif
    69.2 KB · Views: 199
These were the plans for Astra 2A. (see picture)

 
Tivù said:
And why on earth (Or, strictly, 24000 miles above the Earth) isn't 2F being properly utilised?
One reason was that 2F does not cover the full spectrum, it doesn't cover the "D band" and it doesn't cover some of the frequencies covered by 2A/2B hence why the moves happened to 1N and 2A, don't have actual details but will try and get the info.
 
We heard that before, but nobody has actually been able to substantiate it!

Why launch an immensely expensive Satellite and, apart from a mere handful of Transponders, leave it idle?

I think we would all welcome some authoritative hard fact, if you can unearth some.
 
Schroeder said:
One reason was that 2F does not cover the full spectrum, it doesn't cover the "D band" and it doesn't cover some of the frequencies covered by 2A/2B hence why the moves happened to 1N and 2A, don't have actual details but will try and get the info.
I thought 2F covered 10.95 - 12.75GHz hence why the 'D' band transponders weren't migrated. That's all fine and they'll obviously go to 2E but doesn't answer why it's not been utilised for that 2B transfer and instead went to 1N?
 
Perhaps I should have started a new thread but it is connected.

Has the Ka band Internet service for France launched on 2F yet or is that not working either?

Cheers
 
trigger said:
Perhaps I should have started a new thread but it is connected.

Has the Ka band Internet service for France launched on 2F yet or is that not working either?

Cheers
I think it launched last autumn soon after 2F arrived at 28.2E.

Edit: Here's the press release from December 2012: _www.ses.com/4233325/news/2012/13782977
 
Isn't 2E's KA band internet service going to cover Germany? I'm sure I've seen a KA band footprint somewhere covering central Germany?
 
M60 said:
Isn't 2E's KA band internet service going to cover Germany? I'm sure I've seen a KA band footprint somewhere covering central Germany?
Yep, according to www.satlaunch.net/2012/03/astra-2e-coverages-footprints.html
 
Back
Top