Astra 2F: European Beam Transfers Starting?

Tivù said:
We heard that before, but nobody has actually been able to substantiate it!

Why launch an immensely expensive Satellite and, apart from a mere handful of Transponders, leave it idle?

I think we would all welcome some authoritative hard fact, if you can unearth some.
No feedback as yet, but in the last email I had "Notice also that some of the transponders they have switched to Astra 1N are impossible to
use on Astra 2F" not sure if that relates only to the D-band or other transponders as well. If/when I get any further feedback I'll post it.
 
I heard that Eutelsat have agreed an undusclosed settlement with Deutche Telecom over the transponder frequencies that SES now claim are theirs from October 2013.
 
Schroeder said:
One reason was that 2F does not cover the full spectrum, it doesn't cover the "D band" and it doesn't cover some of the frequencies covered by 2A/2B hence why the moves happened to 1N and 2A, don't have actual details but will try and get the info.
You could ask exactly the same of 2C which has been woefully under utilised since she was launched.....
 
SES have now updated their web site and Google earth app to show ASTRA 2B at 19.2E. There are no footprints or other information. So we are a little closer to ASTRA 2C coming home.
 
BLUEPLATINUM said:
SES have now updated their web site and Google earth app to show ASTRA 2B at 19.2E. There are no footprints or other information. So we are a little closer to ASTRA 2C coming home.
Yeah it's been like that for about a week now. They don't seem to be in a big hurry to do anything with 2B.
 
timo_w2s said:
Yeah it's been like that for about a week now. They don't seem to be in a big hurry to do anything with 2B.

Or, for that matter, 2F !!!!
 
No need to hold your breath for any activity on Astra 2B, as long as it stays on 19.4 East instead of 19.2 East (see SES ephemeris)!
 
Well I could not get anything concrete from SES or any other sources, except that they do have plans for 2F and it does not have any issues.

My gut feel is they plan to use 2F for the 28A/B frequencies assuming they get them from September. They did test those before moving to 28.2E.
 
Hello there,
I Lost signal for Sky One, Sky Atlantic, sky living, Sky sports 1& 2 this morning, have they moved as well to the new beam?

Thanks.
 
Still working in Limassol. Well, the SD versions are working. Are you talking about HD ?
 
Zorba said:
Still working in Limassol. Well, the SD versions are working. Are you talking about HD ?
I was referring to the HD versions, it ended up that was an LNB problem, all ok now.
 
Is there any concrete new information on when the footprints are to be restricted to the UK and immediate vicinity?
Will this happen all at once?
 
keenite said:
Is there any concrete new information on when the footprints are to be restricted to the UK and immediate vicinity?
Will this happen all at once?
It happened last year on Astra 2F, so all domestic transponders between 10950 & 11200 are already transmitting UK spot beam.
 
Huevos said:
It happened last year on Astra 2F, so all domestic transponders between 10950 & 11200 are already transmitting UK spot beam.
Then why can I still receive most of the BBC/ITV channels here in Eastern Germany with an 80-cm dish? Surely some footprint 'tightening' remains to be done, or??
 
keenite said:
Then why can I still receive most of the BBC/ITV channels here in Eastern Germany with an 80-cm dish? Surely some footprint 'tightening' remains to be done, or??
You'll have to wait for Astra 2E to launch before any more big changes are made. Should know more closer to Christmas.

I must admit I'm a little surprised you can get 1N's UK spot in Eastern Germany on an 80cm though. Must be a good hotspot.
 
timo_w2s said:
You'll have to wait for Astra 2E to launch before any more big changes are made. Should know more closer to Christmas.
We hope !! I'm not at all sure things will all be sorted out even by then. There is a hell of a lot to do before the insurers and investors will even think of permitting their rather expensive little baby to ride on another Proton. With the current track record, would you want to try it?
 
It would be surprising in the extreme if Launch Failure Contingencies had not been catered for beforehand. Whether or not the specific nature of the failure had been foreseen is probably the sticking point. The counters are how much potential revenue is bleeding away whilst the baby remains wrapped in swaddling clothes, what further contingencies are there for failures at 28E, and what the knock-on effects on previously planned shuffling might there be.

I cannot see SES playing much of a waiting game.
 
Currently, I can receive all Freesat channels except for Channel 5 and Channel 4 HD (still get SD). Signal strengths are significantly lower than for the 'super' beams, but still at quite respectable levels. 10936 V also now seems to be out of the reach of my dish, but can still pick up ITV1 HD on 10832 H.
From what I've read directly from the Beeb, the stated goal is to significantly limit the footprints beyond what they were before this interim solution was introduced. Anyway, am enjoying it while it lasts...
 
Back
Top