Astra / Eurobird Transponders

ixus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM-6800
80 cm dish
LNBs at 13 & 19 degrees + separate feed from 28 degree minidish (Diseqc switched)
My Location
North West England
Now that I'm getting more confident with my TM 6800 (non-super) I have been going through the 'Advanced' scanning facility and comparing my settings with the latest Lyngsat information. These are the discrepancies that I found on the 28 degree Astra / Eurobird channels:
1. I'm getting nothing from the 11344H transponder ... tried every setting possible with no results.
2. I was getting nothing from 11856V, 12168V, 12246V, and 12382V, because in every case the SR was set to 27,500. When I changed it to 29,500 (as per Lyngsat) the signal strength came up and I found new channels (not that it matters ... nearly all scrambled Sky channels!)
3. Some feeds listed on Lyngsat seem to be inaccessible even if I add the new channel manually. Examples are 12545H, 12572H, 12599V ... these also have odd SR values e.g. 6111. Sometimes even Lyngsat doesn't know the correct value and just adds a question mark e.g. 2854-?
Am I missing something obvious?
Also, what does 'pilot' mean and should I have it on or off?
Thanks
Paul

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
May I suggest you don't rely entirely upon one listings site?

Often a discrepancy can be resolved by checking eg Flysat and/or KingofSat as well.

I personally favour Flysat, but when confusticated (which is often!) I am happy to dip into one of the others.

It often helps.

(But not always!)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
ixus said:
Now that I'm getting more confident with my TM 6800 (non-super) I have been going through the 'Advanced' scanning facility and comparing my settings with the latest Lyngsat information. These are the discrepancies that I found on the 28 degree Astra / Eurobird channels:
1. I'm getting nothing from the 11344H transponder ... tried every setting possible with no results.

Its still operating, but some receivers dont like H&V polarities on the same frequency. Try changing the H to say 11343H and the V to 11345V They are close enough and should then scan.

2. I was getting nothing from 11856V, 12168V, 12246V, and 12382V, because in every case the SR was set to 27,500. When I changed it to 29,500 (as per Lyngsat) the signal strength came up and I found new channels (not that it matters ... nearly all scrambled Sky channels!)
These are frequencies recently turned over to high def transmissions - after the last frequency update in the database in your receiver

3. Some feeds listed on Lyngsat seem to be inaccessible even if I add the new channel manually. Examples are 12545H, 12572H, 12599V ... these also have odd SR values e.g. 6111. Sometimes even Lyngsat doesn't know the correct value and just adds a question mark e.g. 2854-?
Am I missing something obvious?
Used for German news feeds - exceedingly erratic in use and probably on the S2 steerable beam which is pointed at Germany and tends to be weak in the UK..

Also, what does 'pilot' mean and should I have it on or off?

Thats just part of the HD DVB-S2 transmission characteristics, and can be either on or off. Try it both ways - one wont work :D

ixus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM-6800
80 cm dish
LNBs at 13 & 19 degrees + separate feed from 28 degree minidish (Diseqc switched)
My Location
North West England
Thanks for replies .... 11344 now sorted following tip from Analoguesat! Wonder why the V channel is coming in at 50% but the H at only 30%? I'll do some more experimenting with the settings!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Yah - I only know that trick as Ive had issues with one receiver (Technomate TM1000) - if they frequencies are set the same the second frequency scanned overwrites the channels on the other polarity! :D

Dont worry about the frequencies being a couple of khz out btw - the receiver will work absolutely fine.

First thing to check is the skew (twist) of the lnb on the Sky dish - make sure its set so the cable is at about "7 o'clock"

ixus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM-6800
80 cm dish
My Location
North West England
Ha! ... just went out with a torch to check the skew, and guess what? ... it's pouring with rain out there! Might explain the drop in signal level. Although I did notice that the LNB / cable is at more like 'six o'clock' ... something I could possibly improve ... when it's not raining! Not a big problem, all the channels worth watching (e.g. BBC HD) still coming in at 80%.
Thanks again

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Welcome :)

Let us know how you get on.

ixus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM-6800
80 cm dish
My Location
North West England
Sorry about the delay ... been waiting for a man with a ladder!
Twisted the LNB to 7 0'clock and was amazed with the result! Some of the weaker Horizontal channels increased signal level from 33% to 66% whilst the Vertical channels maintained their values at around 74%. Can't understand why there is disagreement on the Internet regarding the value of skew adjustment, it certainly made a big improvement for me. Thanks again Analoguesat!
Paul

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Disagreement?

It's absolutely fundamental that skew is important for precisely the reason your little problem and it's resolution illustrates so well!

The dipoles in the LNB need to be normalised to the incoming signals of both polarities and the further east or west of the viewer's due south the relevant satellite positions are, the greater the skew required to achieve the correct "attitude" of the LNB.

(As per, 28E is an exception to a degree {bad pun} as there is a small amount of "pre-skew" incorporated at the Satellites)

Glad you've got it improved.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
ixus said:
Sorry about the delay ... been waiting for a man with a ladder!
Twisted the LNB to 7 0'clock and was amazed with the result! Some of the weaker Horizontal channels increased signal level from 33% to 66% whilst the Vertical channels maintained their values at around 74%. Can't understand why there is disagreement on the Internet regarding the value of skew adjustment, it certainly made a big improvement for me. Thanks again Analoguesat!
Paul

Result :)

To be honest in the UK and with 28E the skew adjustment isnt too critical - a twist round to "7 o'clock" is near enough. If you were abroad and after every last smidgin of signal then the skew adjustment is far more critical :)