Astra Ka H and V with SL3 on C120 feed

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
..Well ..
It's such a clear night I had to try this ..
Both Penthouse and Ocko just lockable on the Norsat lnb with the ally lined C120 feed..
So Quickly drilled some new mount holes in the Liquid plastic base set on the SL3 ..so as to mount the C120 Gibby feed..
Angled the SL3 at 45 degrees ..
..and found NO difference gain wise on Ocko compared to the Norsat lnb.
Ok you might think ..what's the point ?
Well ..the SL3 covers ALL of Ka band A ..as does the Norsat ..
But also covers ALL of Ka band B ..and of course ..I can switch between bands ..and also select either Horizontal or Vertical ..electronically..
Ie ..don't have to physically rotate the the LNB ..as I would with the Norsat.
In conclusion ..
This modded SL3 is as good gainwise as the Norsat ..and 4 times more versatile.
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0201.webp
    DSCF0201.webp
    65.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Ocko on C120 feed pic1.webp
    Ocko on C120 feed pic1.webp
    121.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Ocko H on C120 feed pic2.webp
    Ocko H on C120 feed pic2.webp
    43.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Penthouse on C120 feed pic1.webp
    Penthouse on C120 feed pic1.webp
    129.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Penthouse V on C120 feed pic2.webp
    Penthouse V on C120 feed pic2.webp
    48.9 KB · Views: 46
..and this is the best I've ever locked the Horizontal data channel at 19 East..

OOoops ..that should have been Vertical data channel..
sorry
 

Attachments

  • Horizontal 32psk data channel 19E.webp
    Horizontal 32psk data channel 19E.webp
    114.8 KB · Views: 52
Its windy this evening ..and has been raining a bit ..but signals were still good so I did a dual scan of H & V.
Surprisingly the polarity seperation appears better with the C120 Gibby feed.. than with the SL3 offcut feed ..
I'm really pleased with this so far.
 

Attachments

  • dual scan H & V.webp
    dual scan H & V.webp
    29.3 KB · Views: 28
That's an admirable piece of work you've done there VS. Experimentation is all with KA band working, particularly with feedhorn adaptation.
I've coupled the feedhorn I mentioned in another thread with the XMW LNB on the Triax T88. On 7E I get similar dB levels that I had with the FD9000 on the Gibby. I'll post results in due course.
Unfortunately my Gibby is stuck on 36E ATM, can't budge the actuator - I reckon it's seized up due to water in the housing somewhere, but I can't climb up to inspect it yet with my foot encased in a surgical boot :(
 
Last edited:
That's an admirable piece of work you've done there VS. Experimentation is all with KA band working, particularly with feedhorn adaptation.
I've coupled the feedhorn I mentioned in another thread with the XMW LNB on the Triax T88. On 7E I get similar dB levels that I had with the FD9000 on the Gibby. I'll post results in due course.
Unfortunately my Gibby is stuck on 36E ATM, can't budge the actuator - I reckon it's seized up due to water in the housing somewhere, but I can't climb up to inspect it yet with my foot encased in a surgical boot :(
Hope you soon get your mobility back Llew ..and looking forward to seeing your XMW results ..
BTW ..that meter you've ordered (the rover) ..thats one seriously expensive bit of kit ..
Hope you didn't tell the other half what it cost ..or she won't be too sympathetic during your convalescence..
Deaf n dumb breakfast springs to mind.
 
Hope you didn't tell the other half what it cost ..or she won't be too sympathetic during your convalescence..
Deaf n dumb breakfast springs to mind.

No problem there mate, been footloose and fancy free for years :D

As I said elsewhere, got a good insurance return on my crashed VW, so in one pocket and out the other...
 
Back
Top