Atlantic Bird 3

GJ89

Member
My Satellite Setup
Az-Box Premium HD+
110cm Triax
DiSEqC 1.2 motor
My Location
Heerenveen, Netherlands
Hey guys,

It's me again :eek: LOL surprise :-O-st

My latest problem is Atlantic Bird 3 at 5W. I'm still on my 78cm dish, and seem to only need 50cm for the damn Atlantic Bird 3 transponders... yet I can get Express AM22 on 53E, while that would require a 120cm dish :confused: Atlantic satellites have always been somewhat problematic here, while I am in the completely recommended spot for them...

...then, dishpointer decided to tell me you need 3 different elevation levels for 19.2E, 16E & 13E, yet they are all on the same elevation level, playing better than ever, each one of them :confused: Same counts for 10E, 9E & 7E. 4.8E & 0.8W the same... even if the last one recommended me to do so.

It all makes it extremely difficult finding the correct spot on this motor, but that aside, when I completely extract everything and I go to the elevation spot for 5W, it picks up nothing, on all popular transponders, the only time it goes to 95% signal strength is when it's on bloody Hotbird's allignment. The best I get on the exact spot for 5W is 74%.

I seriously doubt I can't sense these channels because I'm on a PAL system and they use SECAM... it should not have anything to do with the transponder right? :confused:

I'd appreciate anything...
 
You literally cant miss AB3 - shes running at ultra high power :D

Secam broadcasts just show as B&W on PAL equipment

All 5W analogues close on November 30th this year.
 
Yet, I'm missing AB3 LOL...

Atlantic Bird 3: Elevation: 28.6°
Astra 1: Elevation: 28.2°
Eutelsat W2M: Elevation: 28.8°
Hotbird: Elevation: 29.1°

...so basically the elevation should be in between Eutelsat W2M and Astra 1... but... what if all those are running well on the same elevation level, except for AB3?
 
No ide what you are doing there but 5W has a higher elevation than 19E.... Its not going to be far off the top of your arc
 
Awkward... so basically I'll have to keep trying, just a bit above what the 19.2E elevation is... I'll get someone to check the television screen while I pull and shake the dish LOL
 
Heerenveen is near enough 5E so you should have initially set your dish up on Astra 4A / Sirius 4 at 5E. (European beam channels should be easy enough to get in Holland)

If you have used any other bird to set as your southernmost satellite your arc will be well out.
 
hello
all the satellites are on a arc.
here at the high point of the arc is hot bird 13 degrees.
as you move to the right to 13 degrees or the left 19 degrees the elivation changes little.
if you look it is a half circle 13 degrees is at the top and at the center.
as you travel east from 13 degrees the elevation drops as you travel west it drops as well.
also the lnb angel or skew changes as well . if you are on a motor it will twist the dish as well as the arc changes.
just for some information.
ralph:)
 
Yeah, I use Astra 4A quite a lot... that one's on 29.5 elevation and I have that marked onto the motor... but what's the next step after that? Sorry for being a pain :P
 
GJ89 said:
Yet, I'm missing AB3 LOL...

Atlantic Bird 3: Elevation: 28.6°
Astra 1: Elevation: 28.2°
Eutelsat W2M: Elevation: 28.8°
Hotbird: Elevation: 29.1°

...so basically the elevation should be in between Eutelsat W2M and Astra 1... but... what if all those are running well on the same elevation level, except for AB3?

Where are you getting these figures from?

Highest elevation is for your South Satellite and then it drops off steadily as you go East or West from there. It cannot do otherwise!

Once you've set the Motor/Dish correctly for your South Satellite, there is no need to make adjustments for other Satellites .... the locus of the Motor takes care of Azimuth, Elevation and Skew automatically.

Also, you refer in Post #1 to other issues - It would help if you can include a link to any other relevant Thread to help us with background information.
 
Read the motor setup guides on the forum and follow them closely.
 
Seriously where would I be without you guys... coin finally dropped, am yet to try actually getting 5W cause of the dark, but it's finally all clear to me :)
 
Best of luck when you start tinkering :)

Any guides written by UK members will probably say "align onto 1W" as thats our most southerly sat across most of the UK. You must ignore this info and use 5E instead.

Let us know how you get on. :)
 
What you're about to hear is irritating :P

I've finally managed to get Atlantic Bird 3. Seems Thor/Astra 4A was not my arc, as I had to elevate the dish maybe less than half an inch above the Thor elevation... got clear signal immediately afterwards. Now, how did I get to this?

As I figured it had to be around the elevation level of neighbouring Thor I played about with the elevation for about a few seconds. My television is situated upstairs, so to see how this would work I got the contrast of the television up and placed it near an open window. I could barely see it due to the light, but I saw signal quality jumping up very vaguely. Immediately adjusted the elevation and went upstairs to check, and indeed, it was done...

Means, yesterday I went everywhere looking for it, except for the right spot LOL

I had never searched for the arc before, so thanks to you guys I managed to google a picture that would tell me what the arc could possibly be... problem solved and thank you all for your input :)
 
Well the best way to get to grips with this Satellite malarky is to mess about and resolve it slowly as the light dawns - makes it so much easier next time.
 
If you are going to do loads of tinkering with dishes see if you can pick up an old portable tv which can go on a workbench outside. I used a 1970's era rotary tuning B&W portable for many years until the focus went on it.

Now I use an old colour 14" portable I was given. Its donkeys years old and therefore it doesnt matter if it gets knocked off the bench or dropped
 
Back
Top