PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
'A Year in Provence' author Peter Mayle died yesterday aged 78 at a hospital near his French home. After the success of the book he was forced to sell up and he moved to the USA for several years. He later returned to France to live in a village on the other side of the Luberon where he kept his address secret.

That book somewhat paralleled our own foray into French property although we didn't make the permanent move nor could we even remotely afford a property in the Luberon. I remember that we returned from a holiday in the Luberon (our second) in 1990 to hear about this book that was set where we had visited. We bought a copy and then when we read it we would say "We've been there", "We've been there too" and "He's talking about our village now". It was really strange to read his descriptions of the places we had been to totally unaware of this book that was being written.

RIP Peter

A Year in Provence author Peter Mayle dies

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
R.I.P. Peter....neither the book or the follow up TV series with John Thaw influenced our decision to move to France (in any case we settled in a totally different area), however we enjoyed the book. I see he also wrote some s_x education books for children and other humorous books in a similar vein titled 'Wicked Wille'.