Awaiting activation E-mail

Vin Blanc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat HD recorder. Arcon Multi 57cm prime focus dish tripod mounted for caravan use.

Desktop and Laptop computers.
My Location
New Milton, Hants
Completed necessary registration details yesterday 4th Feb but have still not received activation E-mail, is there a problem?

I am waiting to post a reply to another members thread.

Please send activation E-mail ASAP.

Thanks and regards

Vin Blanc

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Activation emails have priority and are sent out immediately, the largest cause of people not receiving them is IP spam traps.

I've sent another email with activation codes, please look in your junk folder using webmail if it hasn't arrived.

Vin Blanc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat HD recorder. Arcon Multi 57cm prime focus dish tripod mounted for caravan use.

My Location
New Milton, Hants
rolfw said:
Activation emails have priority and are sent out immediately, the largest cause of people not receiving them is IP spam traps.

I've sent another email with activation codes, please look in your junk folder using webmail if it hasn't arrived.

Still no receipt of "activation E-mail".

I am not familiar with IP spam traps, Junk folders or webmail!

Are you using my correct E-mail address? Can confirm it again if required.

Vin Blanc
No

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The email is sent out instantly to the email you've provided on registration.

Webmail is accessed by going to your internet provider's website and logging in, there they will have a spam trap or junk mail folder and the email will doubtlessly be in there.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You don't need to repeat post, as you are not yet a confirmed user, your posts will automatically go into a moderation queue, it may take a few minutes for them to be approved, depending on how many staff are monitering the queue.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Please Sir, me Sir, I was monitoring the queue and whooshed the Duplicate pronto :D

Vin Blanc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
New Milton, Hants
Have checked my Internet providers webmail section

All folders are empty including Inbox, junk folder, trash etc. - All folders empty!

Vin Blanc

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Did you check your Junk Mail Preferences as it can be possible to set them such that anything flagged as Spam is gone forever without further intervention?

The thing is, the Registration system is automated and failures to receive have always proved to be due to external issues, not to the Registration system.

But, if you do have an alternative EMail address, it might be worth trying that, just to prove the system and get Registered.

Vin Blanc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
New Milton, Hants
My provider is Plusnet. I can find no options at all for spam deemed content. There are no current folders of any description as I have never used Webmail.

I have tried to check my profile for errors but am denied access so just for the record it is as follows;

billandneah@fo*******.plus.com
email address changed for your protection - admin
I am a member of four other forums, all of which seem to use a similar registration system as yours and I have had no activation problems till now.

Why you suspect that the E-mail whould go to Webmail and not via my normal "Outlook Express" I just cannot imagine!

Whats next?

Vin Blanc

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Hmm. Thats the email address on your profile - Ive now altered the email addy in your post so no-one can misuse it.

We ask you to check your webmail simply because we have found on occasions the activation email gets sent to the junk folder and doesnt show up in OE. Logging into thee webmail allows the person to click on the link.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I'm with PlusNet too and can confirm it isn't a known source of such problems.

As for Webmail, all your mail goes via there - if you use a local client such as Outlook Express, all it does it download mail from the same server. Of course, you can set OE to leave mail on the server, or to delete it when read etc.

When it arrives at your ISPs Mail Server, they apply their own Anti-Spam measure (which you do not see) and you can also train PlusNet's Squirrel Mail to filter out your own Custom Blacklist.

So quite a lot is not even available for your Client (OE) to get to see in the first place - That is why we suggest you go into WebMail - It's the first link in the download chain.

Of course, OE can also have additional Spam controls set and these are entirely in your own hands. Have you looked in there too?

But you'll need to await Admin now (Red - I am merely Blue) to see how we can overcome this.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Unfortunately if your internet provider is blacklisting our mail then there's nothing we can do, we know that activation emails go out pretty much instantly, we test it regularly and have found that in 99.9% of cases where activation emails are not received, it is because the emails have gone into bulk /spam folders, or the provider has blacklisted us.

Vin Blanc said:
Why you suspect that the E-mail whould go to Webmail and not via my normal "Outlook Express" I just cannot imagine!

Do you not have a hotmail address?

Vin Blanc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
New Milton, Hants
That does't seem to be happening in my case.

I have just sent an E-mail to myself to prove that my OE is still functioning OK.

All's well and E-mail received by return.

I do not have an alternative E-mail address so that's not an option!

Is there any way you can activate me manually?

Vin Blanc

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I've just tested the activation email by changing your address to one of mine, got it instantly. Have forwarded it to you. Your account looks to be on a subdomain of plusnet from that of Tivú, so may be subject to different spam policies, but our mail is definitely being blocked.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Interesting.

PlusNet make a big thing of not over-complicating EMail by using the very basic Squirrel Mail package.

So it's a bit of a surprise to think that the application of defence measures might vary between sub-domains.

A new one on me.

Thanks, Rolf: Stashed away in the dark recesses for future reference :-righton

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
They probably also use a blacklist which operates at domain level, we've had a couple of problems with spam lists, it only takes a few people to mark our emails as spam, rather than going into their profiles and disabling admin emails and we get blacklisted.

Vin Blanc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
New Milton, Hants
Received the E-mail but neither of the links would work.

Didn't click on the web site address as I figured I am already in contact with you here.

Vin Blanc

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Vin Blanc said:

copy and paste the link into your browser, whichever flavour you use

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Vin Blanc said:

Didn't click on the web site address as I figured I am already in contact with you here.

Vin Blanc

Limited contact, though: this sub-Forum is open access, but unless properly Registered you can't Post elsewhere.

Vin Blanc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

My Location
New Milton, Hants
I now have theteam@satellites.co.uk in my address book.

Where do we go from here? Afraid it's getting close to cocoa time for me this evening. Should I now wait for another post from you or carry on again tomorrow using the above address?

Meanwhile, is there anything that I can now do to resolve the problem. Not too complicated though as my advanced years are beginning to tell! :D

Vin Blanc