Awaiting New Dreambox 800HD arrival

snake007uk

My Satellite Setup
Sky HD --> Gigabit Network, 20Mb ADSL2 line
My Location
london
Hi All,

I am just awaiting my Dreambox arrival. In the mean time I am trying to get all the software etc...

I have a great guide given to me already :)

So far I have the following:

Gemini image
CCcam 2.1.4 (although I believe this and all plugins can be download through Gemnini)
Dreambox Config tool (found on this forum)
Sky UK Bouquet (found on this forum)

Are there any tools to generate me a cccam file (including all the user accounts and my incoming shares etc..)

Anything else I should look for?

Thanks

WildBit

My Satellite Setup
-DM800 fixed on 28.2-quad
-DM7020 motorized
-Skystar HD2 motorized
-Cards&Cams&Cas
My Location
Ireland
It appears that you have already selected the Gemini image, any specific reason? For simplicity I prefer PLI; particularly if you have non-db users (wife, kids, etc...). If you want everything than I would suggest BH012 (Nabilosat). There is nothing wrong with Gemini of course, just not the best in my opinion. Also, you will be using the SlYUK white card? External reader? The answer of these questions may also be important for your final choice.

snake007uk

My Satellite Setup
My Location
london
Yes I will be using new white sly cards. Also I chose gemini as it seems the best supported. Since my box will be original I thought it was the best decision? what is the benefit of using pli? considering Gemini (from what I have been reading can download plugins from within the menu system etc..).

Ill be using the card reader which comes with the box? any particular reason to use a external reader?

Thanks

WildBit

My Satellite Setup
-DM800 fixed on 28.2-quad
-DM7020 motorized
-Skystar HD2 motorized
-Cards&Cams&Cas
My Location
Ireland
As far as the plugins and downloads, all images are very similar with the exception of the CVS images (limited plugins). Some "dreamers" complaint about heat and melted cards when using the internal reader on the 800, other's do not. To be on the safe side, I use an omnikey reader but this will emply using newcs to read your card. A bit more complicated to setup (use B16MCC configurator to create your config files) than a Smargo reader, which is supported directly in CCcam, but this last one is 10 times more expensive (and less performant) than an omnikey reader

snake007uk

My Satellite Setup
My Location
london
I never read about the cards melting atleast not on original boxes.

moelikepie

My Satellite Setup
iMac 20".
Custom HTPC.
DM800 HD.
Full Sky HD Irish Package.
My Location
ireland
hi snake007uk, i have a genuine dm800hd with a white card.

when i first bought it i was very nervous about having the card in the dreambox as all the stories i've heard about the card melting. i bought an omnikey reader and used it with NewCS and then onto CCCam. i was having glitching issues with this set up. i then bit the bullet and put the card into the dreambox reader using just CCCam 2.1.4 and its been perfect ever since. yes the card is hot, but nowhere near melting point. i have a hard drive installed internally which also increases the heat so i bought a small cooler as somebody posted up on this forum.

i use nabilo BH v0.12 and its great, full UK & irish epg built in that auto updates and very easy to use for the rest of the family as well.

heres a link for the cooler if you're interested, but i wouldnt get it unless you're putting a hard drive in.

_http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dreambox-cooling-fan-cooler-base-dm800-HD-Kuehler-Pad_W0QQitemZ170471556031QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL?hash=item27b0e583bf#ht_535wt_1167

adam

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Second that, Nabilosat BH v0.12 is rock solid and an easy sky EPG download function.

snake007uk

My Satellite Setup
My Location
london
looks like there is another one on the list Nabilosat :) Is there a comparison table?
Gemini vs Openpli vs Nabilosat.

I agree with the idea that it will be easier for other family members, and the updated EPG etc... dont you get that will all? isnt it a matter of plugins etc...

moelikepie

My Satellite Setup
iMac 20".
Custom HTPC.
DM800 HD.
Full Sky HD Irish Package.
My Location
ireland
im not too sure, i've only ever used Nabilo and find it great so havent changed to another image. the epg is built right in to nabilo so no need for extra plugins

shumifan50

My Satellite Setup
2xDM7025(DVB-S tuner), DM600SPVR, DM800S, DM500S HD, Triax 90cm with MultiBracket 4 sats.
My Location
Europe
DreamElite is VERY similar to Nabilo and would be the image I recommend for all dreamboxes it supports (includes all the HD boxes). I think it is more up-to-date than Nabilo. It gives a wider choice of EPGs.