Bad Flash...?

tamz273

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM-500s
My Location
UAE
Hey Everyone!
I attempted to backup a copy of my gemini image from an older DM-500s i had and then flash it on my newer DM-500s last night.

I backed up the image, retrieved it from the /tmp/ dir. and renamed it to root.camfs and uploaded it to the newer DM-500s to the /tmp/ directory then selected manual update.

The new DM-500s now wont boot and only give me a green light when I plug it in. Im not sure what i did wrong, but Im assuming that it was a bad flash...

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Which version of Gemini was this and is this a genuine 500s?

Have you tried flashing with a clean image using the null modem cable?

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
If this new on is from China then Gemini has killed it for You:mad:

Anyway, if U don´t have access to the box from the network then U can try to fresh her up using a null modem cable

If the box is a clone then U must use the Jtag program

There is a thread about Jtag here, do a search if U need it.

tamz273

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM-500s
My Location
UAE
Hey guys,
I dont have a null cable on me, I'm going to take it back to the place i bought it from and tell them that it simply doesnt work...
Im not sure wat the version of gemini is on the first box, nor wether its real or a replica... (how can u tell if its real or a replica??)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There are a couple of threads about it, but as a rule, if you buy a new one now, it is a fake, as they don't make them any more.

tamz273

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM-500s
My Location
UAE
ah ok! so then yeh, mine is a fake :) so i have to use the jtag method to fix the bad flash?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
It would certainly seem that way.

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
If U have a 500 and want to make sure it is not a clone
Telnet ifconfig to the box

the answer (HW) should start with 00:09:34

If not, don´t upgrade

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
500-s
My Location
USA
I didn't realize the root.cramfs method worked with "backups"...

Yes, any file can be renamed to root.cramfs and flashed, but obviously they won't work unless it's an actual image. Find a null-modem cable and flash an actual image with DreamUp...

--
hemi

tamz273

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM-500s
My Location
UAE
so is the problem that i flashed the backup? or is it that i flashed a new version of Gemini with a Fake DM-500?

if its the backup, then can someone please point me to a guide on how to flash the new dm-500 with the exact settings of the older dm-500? (including cardsharing server settings)

thanks!

OH and also! what is a null-modem cable? is it just a Com cable? rs-323?

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD PVR+DVD, 80cm Dish, 1.2 Compatible Motor, Quad LNB, Samsung 22" 1080p HD TV/monitor, Yamaha RX-V765 Amplifier, Tannoy Mercury FC Centre Speaker, 2 x Tannoy F1 Custom Speakers, 2 x Tannoy FR Custom Speakers, EPOS ELS Sub Woofer
My Location
Teesside (North East England)
null modem cable is the rs 232 cable. It will do the same job.

If you don't have one then get one. It will put your image back onto the box using the dreamup program. I think you can copy settings direct from another box but since your new i'd recommend doing it yourself. Simply for a bit of experiance incase you need to do it again.

As for server settings i do not get what you mean by it. What sort of settings? if you mean copy one config file onto another box then no you cannot do that, config's for emulators such as CCcam have to be unique and cannot contain the same values for connection/allowing connections.

If you have a fake box then you need to download the bomb checker tool, this will tell you if your box is genuine or not. If it's not don't use the latest images, go back 2 or 3 versions or use something like niablo or eagle image.

If you read the sticky at the top about dreambox how to etc. you may get a general idea of how it works, it is all explained in black and white in there....well and some colour :p. But the best thing to do is explore and see what it can do.

tamz273

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM-500s
My Location
UAE
Alright I'll definetly have a look at the stickies.
A quick question though, i seem to understand everything thoroughly enough to be able to fix my current dbox, but the only remaining question is if there is any way of copying the cam config files from one box to another and connecting to the same gbox server using the same user/pass from 2 different boxes at teh same time... basically subscribe for one box, but use the settings on 2, 3, or 4 boxes at teh same time.

is that possible using a CCcam?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
No, it probably won't work, they are up to that ruse. :) There is a recent thread concerning this.