Basic help with a resedential Satellite Multi-Switch project (please)....

KillingTime

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IBM R51
My Location
Cheshire
Hello,

I'm about to wire up my house for satellite reception.

I've got 12 triplex wall plates around the house wired using silver foil coax, that terminate under the stairs.
The quattro LNB (4 coax cables) also terminate under the stairs.
The TV and FM also terminate under the stairs.
I understand I need a satellite multi-switch with TV (4+1) to connect all this together.

I'm looking at buying a second hand switch, but am confused about which one to buy.

I can get a good deal on a PARAGON 5X16 PGN 76516, and PGN 75516.

Will either of these work?

I notice that some multi-switches have a gain control for terrestrial and the LNB inputs, and some don't. Do I need the gain controls, or will fixed gain work?

If it helps, I'd say there's about 30m of cable (copper foil) from the terrestrial antennas to where they terminate, and around 10m of cable from the LNB (copper foil).
Another 15m of cable back out from the stairs to the wall plates. (silver foil cable).

I can get someone in to adjust it all (gains etc), but I would like to do most of the installation work myself to save costs.

If I buy the wrong multi switch, then no amount of configuration will save it ..:).

One last point. I see some multi switch manufacturers listing their switches as HD compliant...is there such a thing as non HD complaint? I want to receive SKY HD when this is all done.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Speaking as an amateur who has installed a multi-switch without using a meter I would say go for it. I left the gains set at half way and have had no problems; it may not be optimally set up but it works. I now have a meter and, before I get around to changing the satellite dish, will connect it up to see how bad it was!

You're right, there's no such thing as HD compliant.

Can I suggest that you run an extra cable to at least the main room of the house as if you fit a $ly+ or Freesat+ box it will need two satellite inputs to work optimally.

Looking at the spec of the PGN 76516 you will need an external power supply to make it work. Don't forget to factor the cost of one in as well.

KillingTime

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IBM R51
My Location
Cheshire
Thanks for the prompt response (PaulIR).

The PGN 76516 does not appear to have any adjustable gains, and the spec says it has a sat insertion loss of 8dB. That sounds a lot.
_http://www.paragoncomponents.com/catalogue/product-117.aspx?c=18

The PGN 75516 has adjustable gains.
_http://www.paragoncomponents.com/catalogue/product-294.aspx?c=143

Which would be better, or do I not need the adjustable gain feature?

I'm wondering if the unit without adj gain is meant to be used with other boxes that do have some sort of adjustment......

P.S. I ran two lots of coax to each wall plate. The triplex wall plates I used have an additional 'F' connector. So If I buy a 16 output switch I'll have some outputs left over for the second coax run to the wall plate for sky+.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
KT - I had to modify your post to remove the live links to outside sites. It's a forum rule I'm afraid.

A cascadable multiswitch will have five outputs to match the five inputs from the quattro and terrestrial sources. This is so that in a building such as a block of flats you can run five cables from one floor down to the next to another cascadable multiswitch, and so on. Cascadableness in itself won't make any difference for you I would think. They are a professional bit of kit though and it might be adviseable to go for the ordinary multiswitch even though it has no adjustment. That is unlikely to be a problem as you do not seem to have any excessively long cables.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not a fan of Paragon switches, as it's a one time installation why not lash out and get a Triax multiswitch, zero insertion loss on satellite and superb quality. _http://www.satelliteandaerialsupplies.com/product/?s=triax-305372-tmp-5x12-multiswitch-earth-bars-included

In a normal residential setup, the satellite side doesn't need much if any adjustment, but the UHF side may need attenuation.

KillingTime

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IBM R51
My Location
Cheshire
Apologies for the links.

I'm trying to keep the cost of all this down at the moment. If I have to spend 100+ on a switch then I will, but the second hand one I'm looking at will set me back less than 20 quid delivered. If it works, then that's a result.

I've read that wt100 cable attenuates by 27 dB/100m at 1750 MHz (typical satellite LNB frequency), so the 8dB insertion loss might not matter if I use a 0.3dB LNB on my 90cm dish.

I'll call Paragon on Monday and see what they say. Very little information on their web site - trade only...

Thanks.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
8dB loss on IF shouldn't cause signal problems with anything up to 40Mts of 1mm.
When calculating attenuation, always account upto 2150Mhz ;)

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
hello, ok you should not worry about adjusting the gain.
everything that exists loke sate receivers ,tv, radios all have AGC in them.
automatic gain control.
to they adjust the gain automaticlly.
the lnb cables will have to be labled on both ends.
hv,hh,vl,vh.
if you make any mistake and cross 2 lines it will not work.
the 4 +1 multiswitch will receive terrestial but you will have to split the signal at the plate in the house.
unless you have one of those plates that seperate the signals.
this system will pick up only one satellite possion.
so if you are on sky uk at 28 degrees you will be good to go.
all you have left is aliging the dish.
you may have to call some one for this.
ralph