Batten Down The Hatches 2010/11

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
Tivù said:
2CV had exactly the same trouble with a frozen Condensate Pipe and ended up cutting it off. A tad drastic!

Well the pipe was easy to get off and was full of solid ice, which some boiling water sorted out, keeping an eye out on it though.

I'm no heating engineer but this was no condensation pipe but like an overflow incase of too much water or something as once the ice was gone loads of water came out.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
The only outputs of that nature should be Condensate (There would be a Trap visible within the Boiler casing: A rectangular plastic box with inlet on top, a pipe such as you mentioned on the bottom and a couple of wires on the top) and overpressure relief.

Anything else shouldn't be there.

Piccy ?

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
I think this thread shows up the need for another forum: Boilerrepairsinextremeconditions.co.uk

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Tivù said:
2CV had exactly the same trouble with a frozen Condensate Pipe and ended up cutting it off. A tad drastic!

I cut it off outside so I can fix it so the water actually runs downhill, not collect in the pipe and freeze solid... :p

Internally I just pulled the pipe off and sat a bucket under the boiler, better to do that than have no heating cos the condensate trap is brimming with acidic water.... :D

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I've got ice in the toilet bowl again.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
You need to see a doctor.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
We have got fed up of the temperature in the kitchen plumetting down toward zero - our main water supply enters in the corner of the kitchen so Ive been down to Comet & bought an oil filled radiator. Sod the expense of running it - if the kitchen pipes freeze up we cant have the coal fire (our main form of heating) lit as it has heating pipes running through the back of it..

Outside temperature reading is -9.9C and off to make a hot water bottle and a very large whisky then Im off to watch some music on Vintage TV in bed :D

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
This morning we have -22C :-sball

Can´t remember when we had this low temp in Dec !

Where is the Global warming when You need it ??

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Analoguesat said:
our main water supply enters in the corner of the kitchen so Ive been down to Comet & bought an oil filled radiator. Sod the expense of running it

I have an electric convection radiator on the go out in the workshop (kitchen pipes ever so wisely taken outside, along with the downstairs ring main, into an uninsulated outdoor building!!!), I have it set right at the bottom of the thermostat though, it's so low it won't go any lower... :-rofl2

Before I pulled that radiator out and put it back into service (it's actually that Lervia one I got from lidl that blew up where the mains connections were), the pipes to the kitchen sink did actually freeze up solid, so, yeah, better to burn electric than to burst a water pipe that feeds the kitchen sink...

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
More snow until about lunchtime.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
An almost tropical -3.1C - the highest its been for days. :D

The side roads are still more like bobsled runs although the main roads arent bad atm.We have been down town, the Christmas shopping is just about complete, I dont have to go out again until next week if I dont want to so I had a large slug of whisky in my lunchtime coffee :)

Oh and the oil radiator in the kitchen is a great success - its toastie in there now :D

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Just spent the best part of an hour clearing the snow away from the drive and garage only for it to start again :-rofl2

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Well, the BBC weren't wrong saying there'd be light snow showers, it was so light I could barely see with all the sun shining... :-rofl2

It was snowing though, with blue skies, which was interesting.... :confused

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
satelliteman said:
Just spent the best part of an hour clearing the snow away from the drive and garage only for it to start again :-rofl2

Yes, similar story: It's a never ending bottle.

Sorry, battle.

Or is it both?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Analoguesat said:
< snip > Im off to watch some music on Vintage TV in bed :D

We do exactly that: Vintage TV is our "turn to" when there's nothing inspiring elsewhere. Used to be tv.gusto, but that seems to have packed up the cookery stuff now.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Tivù said:
We do exactly that: Vintage TV is our "turn to" when there's nothing inspiring elsewhere. Used to be tv.gusto, but that seems to have packed up the cookery stuff now.

The 'large whiskey' part caught my eye.

Anyhow the Friday weather outlook means there may well be a white covering for Christmas (on top of the grey/black sludge we now have round here)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Quick and poo quality (not a typo!!) video I took on Monday up on Barrowford Locks, the canal is frozen up, so think of all them liveaboards on canals frozen in... :D

_http://blip.tv/file/4546491

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Another very light snow shower today, and just like yesterday, it fell with blue skies and bright sunshine.... :confused

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
More bloody snow overnight and this morning - must be about 6 inches out there now :( Ah well having fun keeping the name that tune mp3 game going whilst Rolf is travelling to France. (All welcome to join in) :D

Chris76

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ duo with a 300gb hdd also dm500 and tecnomate 5200 with a 1m and 1.1m motorized dishes and minidish fixed to 28.2
My Location
Belfast
Anybody having trouble with there motor sticking in this extreme cold? My motor only seems to move if i use the positioner setup function it has been as cold as -15 here...

PS........Have a great xmas lads ad a happy new year:-thumbup:-thumbup