Batten Down The Hatches 2010/11

davidmcl1980

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TRIAX 1.1M, TM2600, TM5400 CI SUPER, SMART TITANIUM LNB, SKY+UK JSC & CYFRA+ &TNK SUBS
My Location
GLASGOW
here in glasgow it feels like my roof is about to dissapear on me, just as well my dish is in the garden!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Glasgow, eh?

Looks like Analoguesat can expect a pincer movement.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Drat: Spoke too soon - and was looking in the wrong direction.

Just heard a metallic clang and pooped out to find my TD110/Patio Mount had blown forward and landed on the LNB arm, which is now creased flat up against the dish face.

Booger.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
The whole house is rattling and shaking but dish is still (touch wood) fixed, I was speaking to my boss who has just come back from his villa in Florida and he says that the Yanks call 80mph a hurricane. Apparently this is because the two story buildings out there have the second floor made of wood not brick and any wind above 70mph is capable of destroying such a property, so what do we call a hurricane then (he says as a neigbours gate removes itself from the retraining hinges and deposits itself on the pavement)

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Must be bad there Gordon for that to happen at ground level. 60Mph here fronting onto an open field and it's howling across.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Just been outside to get coal and the wind is roaring in the trees but we are well sheltered here and the anemometer on the weather station is reading just 7.5km/hr!

The pressure is plummetting - its down to 958 mb

Rick

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fibo 1.2m HH, Wavefield T90. AzBox HD Premium, Vu+ Duo
My Location
Blackburn, Lancs
wod said:
sonnetpete, do the diseqc motors not take anything larger like 3inch diameter pole, that would stop it moving in the winds

3" Max on a Diseqc Motor Wod, I suppose you could use a larger pole then clamp or weld a section of 3" to it to mount the motor on.

Were forecast for 80mph winds tonight. So far so good on the dish front, touch wood. The 1m Gibby which is very exposed is holding up well so far.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
satelliteman said:
Must be bad there Gordon for that to happen at ground level. 60Mph here fronting onto an open field and it's howling across.

the wind is bad. i keep checking my dish and nothing seems to be bothering the 1224 on the 3inch pole, glad i fitted the other brackets to it though. thinking of adding some lashing wire bolted to the wall to secure it further.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Just been outside and the wind has decreased considerably, the rain has stopped and we have a cloudless, starry night. I haven't plucked up courage to look at the dish but it seems to be tracking the arc ok, albeit with USALS set at 7.1°E Longitude instead of 0.5°W!!

andyxxxx

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox DM800HD - Technomate TM600 - Technomate TM500 Super - SkyBox F5 -- Triax TD110 Dish on TM2600 Motor - Zone 1 sky dish
My Location
Newcastle, UK
Awful wind up here at the moment, almost physically blew me off my feet on the walk home from the train station...

The dish suffered too, 4-5 degree movement east due to insufficient weight on the base of the patio mount... I've temporarily weighed it down using 2 storage containers filled with water and it hasn't moved for a good few hours now... need to add some more concrete blocks when I have time

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
andyxxxx said:
Awful wind up here at the moment, almost physically blew me off my feet on the walk home from the train station...

The dish suffered too, 4-5 degree movement east due to insufficient weight on the base of the patio mount... I've temporarily weighed it down using 2 storage containers filled with water and it hasn't moved for a good few hours now... need to add some more concrete blocks when I have time

Pssst .............. wanna buy a Patio Mounted TD110 with no arms?

andyxxxx

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox DM800HD - Technomate TM600 - Technomate TM500 Super - SkyBox F5 -- Triax TD110 Dish on TM2600 Motor - Zone 1 sky dish
My Location
Newcastle, UK
Tivù said:
Pssst .............. wanna buy a Patio Mounted TD110 with no arms?

I'll give you a fiver... :-righton

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I'd let the dish itself go for that if someone could bring it back to life.

Will keep the mount/slab as it took me a lot of effort to drill through the concrete!

Might mount something smaller on it next time. The motor seems to have survived, fortunately.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Tivù said:
Might mount something smaller on it next time.

You don't fancy a Laminas 1.2M then? LOL

andyxxxx

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Newcastle, UK
Never in the world....

Just heard a big metallic clanging sound, went downstairs to find my 80cm orbital face first towards the ground...

Luckily the damage was limited to a broken F connector from the LNB, I've replaced it and repositioned the dish, along with more strategic placement of my counterweights, and got my fingers crossed for the night...

Guess these orbitals are strong dishes...

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
No dishes down here, just a stray compost bin lid, but then my dishes are safely stowed in the workshop now, but I was almost walloped in the face by the workshop door after retrieving the compost bin lid, but luckily my foot was in the right place to stop it inches from my face... :eek:

Couple of branches down off trees though, if I had a wood burner I'd be out there salvaging them, I'll leave them for someone else though... :)

Rick

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fibo 1.2m HH, Wavefield T90. AzBox HD Premium, Vu+ Duo
My Location
Blackburn, Lancs
Next door just lost a couple of ridge tiles.

andyxxxx

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Newcastle, UK
A car across the road has a nasty dent from a wheelie bin, oops...

Decided to move my satellite dish into the passageway for tonight, until i can get some decent blocks to weigh it down properly.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
andyxxxx said:
A car across the road has a nasty dent from a wheelie bin, oops....

That appears to be the main issue round here. Looking out of the bedroom window, they are everywhere as collection was on Tuesday and most are relatively empty still.