bbc bbc2 bb3 itv 1 iv2 ...etc on a small dish HOW??

antantant1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky pace box
topfield 5000 with hotbird and hispa using t rex cam also art card
My Location
spain
any one that pm's me there e-mail add i will send details i'm not advertising this it is nothing to do with me i have just found away to get bbc and itv if you e-mail them in advance they might give you a week trial

satfinder68

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
humax fta receiver
1meter dual-feed dish
My Location
Spain
It's about two months now since a company started to rebroadcast bbc,itv and four over the internet.
Did we hear any action taken by the bbc to stop them?Any legal action? Has the website been closed?
None of that happened.
They dared and they won,exactly as I was forecasting.

The bbc won't bother about these services,they are happy to save encryption expenses.Let's think about that:the bbc are the only broadcaster in Europe who can transmit completely FTA and at the same time buy program rights just for the UK.
For example,German channels broadcast free to air,but they have to buy rights for the whole Europe.

On the other side,the guys of the new satellite service seem a little bit hesitating,no testcard or whatsoever sign of starting has been seen yet.
If they believe to get something out of this,they should set up things quicker,before all british expats in southern Spain decide to go for a broadband connection and a subscription to the internet stream service.

Regards to all the forum.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
satfinder68 said:
It's about two months now since a company started to rebroadcast bbc,itv and four over the internet.
Did we hear any action taken by the bbc to stop them?Any legal action? Has the website been closed?
None of that happened.
They dared and they won,exactly as I was forecasting.

I wouldn't sound too smug about this service - its early days and any costs due to the source broadcaster will be backdated when and/if they find out and/or end up in court.

Its probably lasted this long because of the secretive way in which it is being promoted. In time, even Google will catch up with this company.

Having seen their website, all I can say if that it is a subscription service with a limited offering and their demo was a recorded clip. Seem to remember that the domain is registered to a bloke in Gibraltar - all of which gave me the willies.

It wouldn't suprise me if that supposed small-dish company ran into re-transmission/money difficulties and headed down the cheaper route of internet streaming, LOL. [read: they are the same company]:eek:

Let's just say that I wasn't convinced.

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.0m Motorised Channel Master + 4 fixed dish Amstrad_DRX890C
DM7020s,DM800se
UNOHM EP314 PROMAX TV Explorer
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
Friend of mine forwarded this mail to me yesterday...

Thank you for showing an interest in becoming part of the Trans world broadcast (TW:cool: Family. Since the first idea was conceived we have now progressed to the point where we are in a situation to launch the service.

We now have 2 avenues to advance down and they are as follows. Our initial projection was to transmit the following channels direct to you and your customers

BBC1, BBC2, ITV 1, Channel 4, Channel 5, ITV2

Since our initial start up all these providers have changed the goal posts. They have now come back to us and offered their services in full at a knock down price of
£8 000 000.00 per channel per year paid 3 years in advance. This is not feasible by any means. The reason for the costs is the area that we would be covering. Our Service is for all of Europe and Into North America and the Caribbean. The demand for dealers is by far outstripping our wildest dreams. However we have reached a happy compromise with the broadcasters, which will be as follows: -

We will initially launch 3 channels
TWB1, TWB2, TWB3,

More channels will be added over the coming months. These channels will carry the best of the 6 channels above. So for example TWB1 schedule may look like this:-

06.00 Breakfast
09.30 Trisha (or a similar program)
10.30 Good Morning
12.30 News
01.00 Wimbledon
17.00 Richard & Judy
18.00 The Simpson`s
18.30 ITV News
19.00 Emm erdale
19.30 Coronation Street
20.00 Eastenders
20.30 A Drama
22.00 News at Ten
22.30 Documentary
22.30 Film
01.00 Big Brother through the night

As you can see it shows all the programs mixed up from all 6 channels showing most importantly soaps and sports, this will be the basis for the other channels with variable content. So for example let’s say ITV 4 are showing a football match or any other sports event, then one of the TWB channels will carry it and this goes for all the other major events in sport or Soaps. This way we are not using the BBC or ITV logo and there is no prohibited cost to you and ourselves. We are also going to add Setanta sports, Discovery and many more stations.

Each receiver will have an EPG so you can see a week in advance what is on what channel.

The receiver shown on the web site is new and is so far advanced it is taking some time to complete due to new chip sets being made, we are currently 12 weeks behind schedule. However we do have a professional system available now. This can be installed into a Hotel or even your own office and from that, you can broadcast the service up to 15 kilometres via WI FI and an omni aerial. This can be started immediately; the DTH (Direct to Home) service will be 8 weeks away. Again I thank you for taking the time to read this letter and if you have any questions please email me and I will call you.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
That last post makes me even less convinced.

Probably better to hack BFBS.:confused

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
iceman said:
As you can see it shows all the programs mixed up from all 6 channels showing most importantly soaps and sports,
My idea of hell on the airwaves - or even the Internet.

May it be consigned to the deepest recesses of Purgatory never to surface again.

Thank you, I feel better now.

satfinder68

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
humax fta receiver
1meter dual-feed dish
My Location
Spain
Things are developing quite interestingly...

Now it looks like this company wants the approval of the broadcasters,to avoid any problems later on.
Anyway their solution is absolutely wrong.
Expats don't need another version of bbc prime or BFBS,they want to watch the real channels.
It's not a question of programme contents,it's about the possibility to switch on the tv and see what's on bbc1 or 2 in that moment.
Apart from the soaps,nearly all tv series and sporting events can easily be found in the local pay tv providers.

Well,now it seems clear that the only alternative to big sized dishes is the internet stream option.

antantant1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky pace box
topfield 5000 with hotbird and hispa using t rex cam also art card
My Location
spain
i'll stick with the internet for now i think all this stuff now is crap and this post which i started should be closed it's just opening up the door for more rubbish from people thank you when i see it then i'll eat my words but till then keep dreaming

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
antantant1 said:
... and this post which i started should be closed it's just opening up the door for more rubbish from people thank you when i see it then i'll eat my words but till then keep dreaming

The great thing about starting a thread antantant1 is that when you ask a question - other members will input their help, advice and usually throw in some personal opinions too. Its quite normal - its a forum.

I know some of us are weary of both the satellite and internet options available to those who are not prepared to/cannot have a large dish - but that's life. Most of us also think that rebroadcasting is illegal.

The choice, though, of whether to take-up either service is entirely yours.

Personally, I haven't been convinced by either proposition. The satellite service hasn't got off the ground AFAIK? and satfinder68 hit the nail right on the head about the internet service.

satfinder68

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
humax fta receiver
1meter dual-feed dish
My Location
Spain
Reviewing this thread I noticed Rolf's suspicion about my interest in the service:no,Rolf,there has been a misjudgement.My words against the bbc's policies are genuine,I only wanted to remind the bbc-side of the forum how badly british expats are treated by the main broadcaster.
Take the italian example:how many times we say Italy is the last country in Europe,instead for this aspect they are far better than us.
In fact RAI television broadcasts FTA on hotbird's wide footprint covering all of Europe and more,using encryption during programmes where they don't hold broadcasting rights for abroad.
This is a good compromise and,as they explicitly say,it's done on purpose to help expats who mainly want to watch italian home-made programmes.

Back to us,the only official service available to british expats is that s**t bbc prime and nothing else!

I hope my point is clearer now.
Greetings to you Rolf.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
satfinder68 said:
I only wanted to remind the bbc-side of the forum how badly british expats are treated by the main broadcaster.

I think that the flag-waving BBC expats (and interested foreigner's alike) who comment to the masses on these boards (as oposed to individual members) - are well aware of the current situation. Some of us simply do without; others have up-sized their dish.

Why, pray, do you think you should be treated better. You neither reside in the UK nor do you, presumably, pay for a TV Licence.

But, let's think of this another way.

You are an expat living in Holland:eek: . The fact is you would be quite happy, correct.:) No more of that FTV card nonsense for 25quid a pop, no more of that 'find a UK friend', normal sized dish, totally all free and all in English. Magic!

But, no, you are an expat in Spain [i'll read into this: outside the 2D footprint, correct?]; as I am in Berlin. So rather than throwing our toy's around, for no other reason but please ourselves - the most sensible route is to get a bigger dish or do without.

The BBC are not going to change their business model for the likes of us: they are having problems getting it to function locally, LOL. The BBC cater for local markets outside the UK with treats like: BBC Prime, BBC World, BBC America (and numerous other variants churned out by BBC Worldwide) - to make money for Auntie - that pleasure those in extreme circumstances.

My personal dream (well known on sats.uk) is that satellites should all be wide-beam and high-powered - transmitting services that are encrypted: giving everyone the chance to have a bite at the apple.

Indeed, I was one of a few/many who wrote to the BBC to point out that they were probably the only European broadcaster that didn't transmit a free, domestic, live, contemporary music radio service (across Europe). Radio2 (and Radio4) are now FTA on wide-beam, as well as on 2D.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
BarMoo said:
My personal dream (well known on sats.uk) is that satellites should all be wide-beam and high-powered - transmitting services that are encrypted: giving everyone the chance to have a bite at the apple.
Indeed, I was one of a few/many who wrote to the BBC to point out that they were probably the only European broadcaster that didn't transmit a free, domestic, live, contemporary music radio service (across Europe). Radio2 (and Radio4) are now FTA on wide-beam, as well as on 2D.

Should that not read unencrypted Mark or have I go the wrong end of the stick even though he is on his hols ;)

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Dunno, I'll read it again and come back to you, LOL. Quite possibly, dyslexia you see. Give me a half hour, hehe.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Quicker than I thought. Yes, I do mean encrypted.

Encryption limits out of territory reception - but, potentially, gives the clever one a bite at the apple if there only existed wide-beam birds.

On hols? What satfinder is on holiday. WTH? Must be a swinging holiday to be posting here and moaning. Maybe ABTA can write a letter to the BBC.:rolleyes:

Of course, wide-beam FTA of Brit TV would be a total wet dream - but is never likely to amount to me having to wash my bedsheets every day.