BBC Radio 1 to 4 on 16 degrees east.

G

greenman

Guest
#1
Saw this, might be of interest to people on the fringe.
11634 V 17578 5/6 and 11659 V 17578 5/6.
 
G

geoffreys

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Messages
306
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 2.4m dish, Invacom 0.2dB LNB (single), Pace 430N
My Location
Famagusta District, Cyprus
#2
greenman said:
Saw this, might be of interest to people on the fringe.
11634 V 17578 5/6 and 11659 V 17578 5/6.

Many thanks for that. Which satellite is it please?
Geoff
Cyprus
 
rolfw

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Messages
37,726
Likes
1,291
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
#3
P

pipoo

Regular Member
Messages
14
Likes
0
#4
rolfw said:
EutelsatW2 16 East Geoff.
False alarm guys, I'm afraid.I'm in the middle of the footprint and trying to pick it up but I can't.The signal is very strong and I'm picking up everything else listed on lyngsat for eutelsat w2 on 16 East.There is no trace of Radios 1-4.Maybe those are some BBC feeds...
 
G

greenman

Guest
#5
pipoo said:
False alarm guys, I'm afraid.I'm in the middle of the footprint and trying to pick it up but I can't.The signal is very strong and I'm picking up everything else listed on lyngsat for eutelsat w2 on 16 East.There is no trace of Radios 1-4.Maybe those are some BBC feeds...
Sorry about false alarm. Maybe they will turn up later. I did give in the PID for Radio 4 got something but it was encrypted!!!.
 
G

greenman

Guest
#6
Got this from BBC Reception today!!!!

Dear John,

Thanks for the email

We do broadcast from Eutelsat, but this is an encrypted feed of BBC radio services for the BBC's private distribution network, they are not available to the general public, and require specialist decoding equipment.
Once again thank you for contacting us.
Yours sincerely

Andrew Estabrook
Reception Advice
 
Zorba

Zorba

Regular Member
Messages
2,201
Likes
7
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
#7
So how come you saw it,if its encrypted?
 
G

greenman

Guest
#8
zorba said:
So how come you saw it,if its encrypted?
Saw on Lyngsat that these stations were FTA. I notified Lyngsat, they replied but so far haven't changed anything!!!!
 
G

gcohen

Guest
#9
They are free to air on W2 at 16.0E - at present !
They come thundering in here in Israel on a 1.2M dish - much stronger than when they were on Astra 2B ( or was it A). They are well above threshold even in bad weather.
I am using an Echostar 3000IP which does not find the programmes on an automatic search.
Manual entry of the data is needed using the data from Lyngsat ie 11634V and 11659V (two separate feeds) both VPID 17578 and FEC 5/6 with audio 6210, 6226, 6242, 6258 for Radios 1 to 4 respectively.

There is a lot of chatter about this on the Astra 2D website!

Geoffrey C
 
P

pipoo

Regular Member
Messages
14
Likes
0
#10
Well, for 2 months they let us enjoy.Now it is really encrypted.The signal still there but without the sound.Shame!
 
BarMoo

BarMoo

Post Meister
Messages
1,801
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
#11
Shame about that. Makes no real sense. If the channels are there (i.e., tps space paid for thankyou) - why can't they be FTA? Radio's 2 + 4 are FTA over on Astra 2B?

An idea: Ditch 16°E altogether, shift all the BBCi services to 2D (which are wholly reliant on SKY technologies) - and move back all BBC Radio (yep, all the radio) to Astra 2B (where they belong, IHMO).

This would save loads in License Fee dosh and give us everything we wanted. I'll write to Greg now!

Mark.

P.S. Can anyone recall if the data rates (i.e. quality) were better on 16°E? I ask because it was noted that they were distribution feeds. Thanks
 
P

philip24

Regular Member
Messages
44
Likes
0
#12
17578 - 5/6 on 11634, Europe beam and 11659 on the Madagascar beam.

Each frequency, according to Lyngsat, carrying BBC Radio 1, 2, 3 and 4 FM.

Quite high quality.
 
P

pipoo

Regular Member
Messages
14
Likes
0
#13
philip24 said:
17578 - 5/6 on 11634, Europe beam and 11659 on the Madagascar beam.

Each frequency, according to Lyngsat, carrying BBC Radio 1, 2, 3 and 4 FM.

Quite high quality.
No.Both frequencies are on Europe beam but the signal is encrypted unfortunately!
 
BarMoo

BarMoo

Post Meister
Messages
1,801
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
#14
I wish we would get to the bottom of this :)

Has someone actually bothered to check - like tuning into these frequencies and waited for noise to come out?

My chips are on (red, odd, 17) = 'encrypted'. I am afraid I can't be ass'd to check (the balcony is tooo cold).

Q still outstanding: are there any guys out there who had managed to log the data rates for these services - i.e., as distribution feeds, surely they would be of distribution quality.

Having Fun,

Mark.
 
P

pipoo

Regular Member
Messages
14
Likes
0
#15
mljgmljg said:
I wish we would get to the bottom of this :)

Has someone actually bothered to check - like tuning into these frequencies and waited for noise to come out?

My chips are on (red, odd, 17) = 'encrypted'. I am afraid I can't be ass'd to check (the balcony is tooo cold).

Q still outstanding: are there any guys out there who had managed to log the data rates for these services - i.e., as distribution feeds, surely they would be of distribution quality.

Having Fun,

Mark.
Well, my receiver brands the signal on both of these frequencies as free to air but obviously it isn't. You can wait as long as you can after thursday a fortnight ago but you couldn't get any noise coming out. It's the distribution feeds for the BBC dtt.The multiplex carries 12-14 TV channels and Radios 1-4FM. All of the TV channels were encrypted from a start with BISS, RAS or DVB Fixed Key encryption system our cheap home receivers won't touch.The fact is Radios 1-4FM weren't but you had to put in manually VPID and APID for each channel into your receiver setup.So, from that thursday, they locked Radios 1-4FM too. Out of desperation, you could try to put manually VPID:8191 and APID:6210 (for Radio 1) and wait.If you can catch something, post it as fast as you can.
 
Top