Ben Thatcher?

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
this is another case in point for our video evidence, but another thing that i dont understand is why the FA refuses to use video evidence to upgrade Yellow cards?

BBC Website said:
The incident was captured by television cameras but video evidence cannot be used to retrospectively upgrade a yellow card.

i havent seen the Ben Thatcher incident, so i cant comment on the actual event. i am just referring to the stupid laws within the game?

The ban imposed on Rooney and Scholes during the pre season friendly tournament, and then carried to the premiership is another case for the FA having no common sense?

source BBC here

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTRaS7ffyWg

This is the incident. I saw it on MOTD and I haven't seen anything quite as bad in ages. Thatcher got a yellow from the referee for this which is an injustice. I hope Thatcher is put out of the game for a long time.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Bloody hell, I hadn't watched it in slow motion, but there is absolutely no doubt there as to his intent and I can see no reason why the police should not be involved. It was a vicious intentional assault and if it had happened in the high street on a Friday night and been filmed, he would be in court in the morning.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
thats what i love about the internet... someone always finds a file or video :)

as for the video... shocking

he had no intention of getting the ball... in fact he runs past it to hit the guy!!!
poor Pedro Mendes didnt even see it coming, as he had his eye on the ball...like you should!
like i said in my first post... video evidence should be used in court to make sure he cant talk his way out of it.

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
I'm sure the FA will bend the rules to apply the correct punishment. i think a 6 match ban is about right, with a suspended season long ban should he do the same thing in the next two years.

el punty

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ntl box, using funcard
My Location
england
well if cantona got a ban for attacking a crowd member back in 97 i think
dont you think thatcher deserves a 8 month suspension from the game?

i think it was a disgrace, last year the FA banned essien for 3 matches after a tackle on hamman. thatcher acted now a thug, if you did that on the street you would be locked up.

FA is a disgrace at the moment, a bunch of petty school kids IMO

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
I agree with a lot of what you say el punty except I think the FA are a bunch of old freeloaders who know virtually FA about the ins and outs of the game. You find if they have anyone in there that makes noises then they are dispensed with.

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
1mtr dish & jaeger 99G 36v motor, with a superjack DP-6600. dvb-t aswell,in the process of setting up
My Location
cheshire,algeria
well as a city fan all i can say is that this sort of thing happens all the time (and i'm not for one min condoning it) but....

how many "tackles do we see and say if this or that person had connected it would have broken his legs or knocked him out or worse.

fash the bash's elbow on gary mabutt caused public outcry, yet shearer and others would jump like that every week.
rooney's and gerrard's (to name but 2) two footed challenges. some go unoticed, until major damage is caused...

if thatchers arm would have not connected and they both fell in a heap and both got up, not alot would have been said, it's only the fact that he did connect so well, that we have all this furore.

i for one would welcome video evidence being used by a forth official, with sin bins being used so that it is the opposing team that benefits not later on so that rival teams could gain an advantage. (mind you in this case thatcher not playing would be to city's wellbeing because he's s**t anyway)

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Rochdale
how many "tackles do we see and say if this or that person had connected it would have broken his legs or knocked him out or worse.
thats the point i am making Bronks... it needs sorting out, the bad cases like this one highlight this... but in a few weeks the dust settles and nothing is done :(

if thatchers arm would have not connected and they both fell in a heap and both got up, not alot would have been said, it's only the fact that he did connect so well, that we have all this furore

no... the fact that he was on the pitch, supposedly playing football.... but proved he wasnt by running past the ball faster than Linford Christie... and nearly took the poor guys head off, is why we have this furore

we have always had high profile cases of violent conduct on the pitch, but recently not only is it more common, but they are getting off lightly??

Zidane for instance, not enough was done there either.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Thatcher's been a little thug all he's career, a bit like Lee Bowyer but they seem to get away with small fines and bans.
Also count Michael Brown from my team Fulham as they should be hit with long bans and rid our game of this thuggish behaviour.

fersy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m ? dish pole mounted in back garden, bigsat hh motor mount, 0.2db universal single lnb, technomate 1000c1, viaccess 2.5 cam, 1yr art subs card
My Location
n.ireland
Sir Bronking said:
well as a city fan all i can say is that this sort of thing happens all the time (and i'm not for one min condoning it) but....

fash the bash's elbow on gary mabutt caused public outcry, yet shearer and others would jump like that every week.
rooney's and gerrard's (to name but 2) two footed challenges. some go unoticed, until major damage is caused...

if thatchers arm would have not connected and they both fell in a heap and both got up, not alot would have been said, it's only the fact that he did connect so well, that we have all this furore.

i for one would welcome video evidence being used by a forth official, with sin bins being used so that it is the opposing team that benefits not later on so that rival teams could gain an advantage. (mind you in this case thatcher not playing would be to city's wellbeing because he's s**t anyway)

this is utter rubbish to say that rooneys tackles go unnoticed this is the same rooney that got a 3 match ban after a small push on tal ben haim on boxing day a couple of years ago and is currently serving a ban for that joke of a sending off in a friendly against porto when he was clearly going for the ball.in fact the thatcher incident is no different to the incident in the united fulham game last week where brown tried to break giggs' leg with a deliberate 2 footed jump on it and it can be clearly seen in the replay that he totally ignores the ball and has his eyes fixed firmly on giggs yet there is no outcry about this deliberate assault in the papers and we are just told that if the ref has dealt with it then the fa can do nothing yet suddenly they can apply to fifa for special powers to punish thatcher for the same thing. alright one is an elbow and one a 2 footed lunge but both were intended to seriously injure their opponent. as for rooney if it had been him instead of brown who made that tackle it would have been shown non stop on the tv for a week and the fa would certainly found a way to punish him. as for the fa not having a clue i think its more a case of bias as stupidity when i look at the case of rooney and scholes bans from the amsterdam tournament and then think that 2 liverpool players were sent off a couple of years ago in the same tournament and were not banned and i look at punishment gary neville was handed out for kissing his badge in front of the liverpool fans last year yet cisse escapes punishment for inciting the crowd at st james i think it was and the same day after being sent off against fulham gallas is also inciting the crowd and it goes unpunised. oh and we wont mention rio ferdinand getting banned for 8 months for the exact same crime for which a city player who did it a couple of weeks before him recieved a £20,000 fine. dont think its any coincidence that brian (liverpool supporter and self confessed man u hater) barwick is in charge of the fa now. after all this is the man who when head of the bbc fought tooth and nail to try and stop man utd win sports team of the year when they won the treble. just a few thought for all the people who seem under the illusion that wayne rooney and man utd get away with murder and get all the decisions etc.

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
well,6 match ban (2 suspended)from man city, and fined 6 weeks wages(2 suspended)by the FA.I wonder if the police will do anything?