Best choice for motor system on a 85cm penta dish to use at low elevations

My Satellite Setup
85 cm dish FTA receiver
My Location
Iceland, Reykjavik
Hi,

I am looking into expanding/upgrading my sat system and get it motorrized.

I live in Iceland, Reykjavik, so a dish setup often requeries a low elevation angle, down to approx. 3 degrees.

What motor system will help me acomplish that best ?. and what would you recommend ?.

Best regards.

Ole

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Everything from where you are is relatively low on the horizon, what sized dish are you going to use and is it in an exposed location??

My Satellite Setup
85 cm dish FTA receiver
My Location
Iceland, Reykjavik
Hello,

Thanks for the response.

I will be using a ferraco penta 85 dish with a gain of 39 db.
The dish will be placed on a balcone , which will provide some shelter from wind and rain. There will of course be a line of sigth to the positions I want to see.

Best regards

Ole

My Satellite Setup
85 cm dish FTA receiver
My Location
Iceland, Reykjavik
Hallo, has any one some idea of what I should go for,
I am wating with great exictement:-nuts.

Best regards

Ole

rolfw

Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
sorry should have read you post better. :)

The Penta dish will be fine on a DiseqC motor, something like the Moteck SG-2100.

My Satellite Setup
85 cm dish FTA receiver
My Location
Iceland, Reykjavik
I see that that you own such a motor, so you must know what you are talking about.

But what does it mean when it in the specification for the motech says,

Elevation Angle10~75

Doesn't that mean that I can't use it for angles less than 10 ??.

Thanks again

Ole

popovp

My Satellite Setup
My system:Receiver-Ferguson Ariva 102E HD, Sky Sat 9900FTA+emu;Ferguson FX-6600CR/OCTAGON SF318 soft;LNB-Sky Sat, universal, 0,2dB;1.17x1.06m offset dish ;Diseqc 1,2 +USALS Moteck2100A motor; 1,2m parabola+0,3dB Inverto @ H-H Strong SRT DM 2100
My Location
Varna, Bulgaria
Ole Roenne said:
I see that that you own such a motor, so you must know what you are talking about.

But what does it mean when it in the specification for the motech says,

Elevation Angle10~75

Doesn't that mean that I can't use it for angles less than 10 ??.

Thanks again

Ole
Don't trouble Ole, your location latitude is 64o 8', Moteck scale - 15-65o and will point all the satellites in the range 45W(Pas 1R, 1,14o elevation) up to abb. 90E(YAMAL 201, 0,68o elevation). Look at this:
http://www.satsig.net/22-deg-offset-dish.htm, and download "Satellite Antenna Alignment " from http://www.al-soft.com/saa/saa.exe
You need bigger dish if Hotbird 13E is interest to you.

rolfw

Staff member
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, as popovp says, the elevation they quote is the elevation required for the satellite at the top of the arc, this being I think about 26 degrees on the Moteck scale, or you can actually set it to your latitude on the latitude scale.

My Satellite Setup
85 cm dish FTA receiver
My Location
Iceland, Reykjavik
Hallo again.

Thank you both(rolw and popovp) for clearifing the meaning of that spec. ,

I will over the summer install the equipment and keep you posted on how every thing goes.

Thank again.