Best Digibox/dish size for Athens, greece?

weagle

Reaction score
I have heard from people living in cyprus pace 2600 and 2.4meter dish is good enough to receiver astra 2d and 2a/2b all day. How is it in Athens, Greece anyone tried it so far I have a panasonic dsb-30 and 1.25meter dish and can receive most 2a/2b (some breakup) and no 2d. I am planninig to upgrade to pace 2600 should improve 2a/2b reception but wondering what size dish/digibox you need to get 2d in athens, greece and if you are in athens receiving it. Thanks.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
http://www.astra2d.co.uk/greece.htm

suggests 2.4m - 3m in western Greece isnt big enough for consistent reception so you may be looking at 4-5m plus as the signal strength drops off rapidly as you go eastwards

weagle

Reaction score
are you su re if y ou check those who are in cyprus they say they got 2.4m dish pace 2600 receiver and are getting bbc/itv channels cyprus is more south and eastern from athens, greece i'd think athens greece would be better? just wondering here no info from athens greece only from cyprus people.

Analoguesat said:
http:
//www.astra2d.co.uk/greece.htm

suggests 2.4m - 3m in western Greece isnt big enough for consistent reception so you may be looking at 4-5m plus as the signal strength drops off rapidly as you go eastwards

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Im only going on whats published on the astra2d web site, and that says 2.4m is not sufficient in north-western greece. Strange things happen in extreme fringe reception conditions. Minute imperfections in the sats radiating dish can cause areas of good and poor reception which vary over a few tens of miles. Cyprus may just be lucky - in Jordan they need 7m dishes to get 2D, and Jordan isnt that much further east than Cyprus.

As there doesnt seem to be any reception reports for Athens, looks like you will be a pioneer. You need to find a dealer willing to bring various dishes along do some experimenting. Count your self fortunate if you get away with anything less than 3m!
- & Make sure you report your findings to the astra2d site :D

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.0m Motorised Channel Master + 4 fixed dish Amstrad_DRX890C
DM7020s,DM800se
UNOHM EP314 PROMAX TV Explorer
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
Analoguesat said:
Strange things happen in extreme fringe reception conditions. Minute imperfections in the sats radiating dish can cause areas of good and poor reception which vary over a few tens of miles. Cyprus may just be lucky - in Jordan they need 7m dishes to get 2D, and Jordan isnt that much further east than Cyprus.

Even in Cyprus 2D signal strenght varies in different areas...for example in the far western of the island (Paphos) a 2.7m dish is said to be sufficient for 24hr 2D reception...but as you travel to the east of the island you start neeeding a larger dish..I've seen good quality 3m dishes in Limassol performing well..Same 3m dish will still pull in 2D signals in Nicosia area but will suffer under bad weather conditions..for famagusta/Ayia Napa area over 4m is necessary for 2D.
Also in Kyrenia region over 4m is required for uninterupted helthy 2D viewing.

Amman/Jordan is about 266 miles to the east of Nicosia (266 miles is a long way in fringe reception areas,outside the footprint) ...if we can have signal variations between towns in Cyprus i think 2D reception in Jordan (even) with 7m is lucky.....dont forget where the footprint for 2D ends ;)

weagle

Reaction score
the first upgrade i'm doing is getting a better receiver everyone reports in cyprus that went to 2.4m dish and get the 2d channels perfectly they just had to upgrade their receiver from a pani dsb-30 to a pace 2600 model (the most sensitive tuner model) notice everyone else having problems even at 3m with a panidsb-30 with 2d in cyprus, thats my first goal I guess to see what this tuner really does even if it pulled even atleast 1 astra 2d transponder on 1.2m (I doubt it though) who knows maybe boderline/pixelize type thing I may upgrade to 2.4m dish to see if the pixelization would stop or something. mainly I care to have the 2a/2b/eurobird all perfect which is also not the case some channels are borderline on my pani dsb30 so the pace2600 should i think fix the problem on the pixelization of some channels, its a way faster tuner they say maybe handles the error correction better.