Best Non Linux Receiver Around £150

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
I am looking to spend around 150 on a non linux HD receiver and after peoples recommendations/thoughts.

I want to replace my current receiver vantage x221ci with something thats hd capable now aljazeera has the two hd sport channels on hotbird.

I've looked at linux receivers but not sure if i want to bother with one at the moment, been put off ever since i had the tm9100 but i think that was let down with rubbish hardware.

At the moment i want something that will just work out the box and be able to use my al jazeera sport and cyfra+ cards in it.

I have here a tm1500 and my vantage x221ci so have looked at there hd models and not sure what to buy.

the models i've looked at is

technomate tm5402hd
vantage vt610s ci+ compatible

Do manhattan not make receivers anymore ?

cheers

wod

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Can't go wrong with the 5402.

Costactc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m channel master mesh-24" vonweise actuator-ps1 x2 lnbf(L)-pansat ap3500 positioner-x2 premium III-vu+solo2.
2.4m fortec solid-24" vonweise actuator-esx 241 lnbf(c)-vbox 7 positioner- dm800.
1.2m fortec-24"sj actuator-invacom snh-031--tm 5402 m3.
My Location
Canada
Non linux, why not go real cheap with the skybox f3 which will do just about all you require.

Hixxy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800/7020Si/7000S, VU+ Duo, Skybox F3 & F5, TM1000D, Skystar 2 DVBdream, Triax TD110, Darkmotor, Inverto Black, Hotbird 13 Zone 2 MK 4, 28.2 Zone 1 MK4
My Location
East Midlands
I'd recommend both receivers. You do get a bit more with the 5402 but then you're paying an extra £100.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
Non linux, why not go real cheap with the skybox f3 which will do just about all you require.

I don't think it has a cam slot does it ?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
No, just a Card Slot.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
[quote name=&#39;Tivù&#39; timestamp=&#39;1351070363&#39; post=&#39;819158&#39;]No, just a Card Slot.[/quote] Shame as I still use my Diablo cam for the odd biss channels 10e etc and 39e irdeto 2 stuff.<br /><br />It seems manhattan only make freesat receivers now which is disappointing.<br /><br />Maybe I will go the tm5402hd route.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
It will take a constant.cw file if that might help with BISS Channels.

I tried it using a file sent to me for experimentation purposes and it seems to work fine.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
It will take a constant.cw file if that might help with BISS Channels.

I tried it using a file sent to me for experimentation purposes and it seems to work fine.

Interesting does it work in 10e to get the MGM film channels etc.

It seems most boxes these days are designed for Linux and to do naughty things which I don't want.

Did you get a hard disc working with the f3 ?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Don't know about specific stuff like MGM, but there's lots of info about the niceties of the F3 out there on the Web.

I just tried a file for a few Channels (can't recall which) purely to satisfy myself it worked in principle. Never touched it since.

I didn't bother with an HDD in the end (though others have succeeded without issue) as I got a 16 GB V3.0 USB stick for £8 which does all I want (Chiefly Live Pause plus rare additional recording capacity over and above Foxsat).

Hixxy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800/7020Si/7000S, VU+ Duo, Skybox F3 & F5, TM1000D, Skystar 2 DVBdream, Triax TD110, Darkmotor, Inverto Black, Hotbird 13 Zone 2 MK 4, 28.2 Zone 1 MK4
My Location
East Midlands
I've used a HDD with an F3 and was surprised how well it worked. Automatic timeshift works good and you can pause live tv etc. You can plug the hard drive back into your pc and play the recordings back on media player. The recevier also accepts ntfs file system as that's what I tested it with.
Biss works fine although haven't tested it with MGM 10e. Can't see why it wouldn't work.

Edit:
Was using an external 1TB Western Digital drive. The downside is the only usb socket is behind the front flap so may be slightly unsightly for some people. Didn't bother me.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
I am looking to spend around 150 on a non linux HD receiver and after peoples recommendations/thoughts.
Why are you anti-Linux?

Personally I wouldn't buy anything without a Broadcom processor. To me it would be like buying a PC that is not IBM compatible.

For non-Linux there's the Fergusson Aqiva 102e and 202e. Got a gold star rating from What Sat. World of Sat does them. I think around 80 quid. Reads Sky cards and many others from the factory, and with patched firmware it can do plenty more.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
Why are you anti-Linux?

Personally I wouldn't buy anything without a Broadcom processor. To me it would be like buying a PC that is not IBM compatible.

For non-Linux there's the Fergusson Aqiva 102e and 202e. Got a gold star rating from What Sat. World of Sat does them. I think around 80 quid. Reads Sky cards and many others from the factory, and with patched firmware it can do plenty more.

I'm not anti Linux, I'm just not bothered for one of them at the moment.

Something that's hd and can move my dish via the vbox will be fine. so its why I was looking at receivers like the tm5402hd.

if I can have sky italia, Al Jazeera and cyfra+ cards working in the box I might consider one.

Is it still worth buying the duo these are a good price ?

A nonymous

Reaction score

In one way Huevos i completely agree with you, although there are now a lot of good boxes out there that will quite happily run Enigma 2 that don't use a Broadcom processor. I have set up a few IPBox 55HD and 99HD boxes for a few people and these have worked really well also.

If you want to not go down the Linux route you could try the Amiko Alien SHD8900, which runs SPARK plus can run Enigma 2 in a fashion.

The Ferguson Ariva is an excellent receiver, It has a fairly fast blind scan and the tuner is also fairly sensitive. I've been more than happy with mine. It also doesn't have an issue moving my motor at the end of a 37m run of cable.

Nano

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Is it still worth buying the duo these are a good price ?
Duo is 289GBP at the moment. If you want to stay inside your 150GBP budget there is the GiGaBlue HD800 SE at 149GBP. Broadcom processor and runs Enigma 2.

Satsecure

Supporting Advertiser
Reaction score
Satsecure, Pear Mill, Stockport Rd W, Stockport, S
Website
satsecure.uk
My Satellite Setup
Blade Media BM5000s, Media Art 7 ULTRA, Humax, Technomate, Maxx Digital, Triax
My Location
Stockport
The TM 5402s are generally a popular choice to go with if you want more features than the F3. I've not heard any complaints about them either which is always a good sign!

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
Duo is 289GBP at the moment. If you want to stay inside your 150GBP budget there is the GiGaBlue HD800 SE at 149GBP. Broadcom processor and runs Enigma 2.

I can spend more but for what I use my system for I thought it would be pointless buying a vu + ultimo at 400 pound.

I must have missed these gigablue receivers the HD800 UE spec wise looks great for the price.

There's also the new technomate twin-oe Linux box looks to be similar to a duo box, hopefully these have more system ram than previous boxes tm9100 etc.

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
Having owned a 5402 and now an F15 my money would be on the 5402 will happily update your cards with a patched firmware that makes the card reader multicrypt, the Biss side can be entered manually on the 5402 as well as the softcam side via a USB stick which should see you right for 10° east and 39° east plus you will have the added advantage of having one of the best sensitive tuners i have seen so far and beats all my Linux receivers hands down for fringe stuff

A nonymous

Reaction score
I personally would think twice at looking at the Amiko Alien 2. Lets face it its not exactly the best box on the market compared to what else is out there.

Nano

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
I can spend more but for what I use my system for I thought it would be pointless buying a vu + ultimo at 400 pound.

I must have missed these gigablue receivers the HD800 UE spec wise looks great for the price.

There's also the new technomate twin-oe Linux box looks to be similar to a duo box, hopefully these have more system ram than previous boxes tm9100 etc.
Wod, I've got the Ultimo, the Duo and the TM Twin, and I've got friends with the GiGablues, Ventons and ETs, among others. My main household receiver is the Ultimo with 3 tuners and 2TB HDD. I really love this receiver and so do the rest of the family. It's very stable and has blind scan. It was a lot of money, but unlike other receivers I've bought in the past I like this receiver more every day. The Duo is probably the best supported receiver of the lot. The Twin at the moment is nowhere near as well supported as it is a newer receiver, but after months of cooperation between Technomate and OpenVix there is now a set of drivers and an image that allow this receiver to operate in a pretty stable fashion. There are still a couple of issues with the drivers such as no USB tuner functionality, but nothing major.

The reason I really like the E2/Broadcom receivers is that the software is so good. They have a proper 7 day EPG and are very configurable. And if you switch to another receiver you can configure it exactly the same and everyone else in the family can make the transition without even noticing, especially if you are using a harmony remote.